Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supplements/ diet to treat peri-menopausal symptoms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supplements/ diet to treat peri-menopausal symptoms?

This question is for Tara or anyone who may have suggestions. At 48 years old, I am in peri-menopause.

Every month I feel like I am having a pseudo-exacerbation. On top of that I am severely depressed, very emotional and just horrible to be around because of my mood.
    My doctor has suggested the birth control pill seasonique where you only get a period 4 times a year to help control the fluctuating hormones that seems to be causing all this but I am reluctant because of all the side effects of b/c.

I would appreciate if anyone has recommendations or suggestions for controlling these symptoms by supplements or diet.
    DX 1988. Avenox for 6 years, Copaxone for 6 years and LDN for 3 years.

I can tell you that I used Black Cohosh (capsules) during perimenopause and menopause, but it's been long enough that I don't remember if it helped with my mood or not.

For dosage, I just followed the directions on the bottle. I do remember that I used Nature's Way, but there are other good brands.

Comment

I, too, am peri-menopausal. Since I was 36, I'm now 48!

My gyno is also a nutritionist. He prescribes a compounded progesterone for me. It is a godsend. It keeps me together. My periods are normal (though I have missed several in past few years! Yay!), the anxiety is relieved, I sleep better.

He recommends the Mediterranean diet, which I do, with some alterations, considering I go gluten free. He also says no dairy, which is fine since I don't eat dairy anyway.

He was the one, too, that found my vitamin D was low. And tests for it!

He also prescribed low-dose naltrexone. I am on the first bottle. He also suggested that the progesterone may be helping with the ms.

He seems to be more on top of things than my neuro!

Comment

AnneLouise,
        What? You found a 'real' doctor who believes that 'nutrition' has something to do with your health! Surprise!
        teacup...
        I know that there are natural remedies for your situation and it would be great if Tara responded. I can tell you that vitamin D levels are really important to maintain in the maximal range to help your body maintain equilibrium. Of course, a traditional MD will ,probably , do no lab tests, then prescribe steroids. What ever the configuration.
        If this is your doctors' course of action, you may need to prod him/her for lab tests or find a doctor who specializes in 'integrative' medicine. Integrative doctors are real MDs will use natural and/or prescription drugs that are not a guessing game. But I say, if there is a lab test for the condition, do it before trying a remedy.
        Good luck

Comment

I've used Bio-Identical Progesterone for my patients since 1995 for many hormonally related issues.
          I would start there.

About 25-35mg 2x/day to start.
          If you are still cycling; use 3 weeks on, 1 week off

Also stabilizing blood sugar; low sugar eating spread out over 4 meals per day will assist the adrenals and other body systems- which when stressed will impact hormonal balance.

Getting consistant 6-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep each night.

And you have to keep in mind; hormones are not a priority when the body is dealing with a crisis
          But getting hormones balanced will help with the MS.

In addition, I am giving 8mg/day of Estriol fot MS patients, with positive results
          NutritionTara
          Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
          X