MS as an "autoimmune" disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS as an "autoimmune" disease

Was diagnosed in 2009 w/rrms. This may sound like a really stupid question, but here goes....I have a friend who I haven't seen for about 15 years who is in final stages of AIDS. He is coming in from out of state to visit and my group of friends is getting "the gang" together for a visit. Should I be concerned at having an 'in person' visit with him due to my weakened immune system?

I just re-read this post and it sounded so odd....he is a gay man and I am a married woman. He has been very ill as of late, but he is travelling across country w/his sister by car.

We've spoken on the phone several times over the years, but now that I am ill, I'm more aware of my own surroundings.

**Post broken into paragraphs by Moderator for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print.**

Well, if you do not exchange bodily fluids with him you are ok. Honest, YOU will be more medicine for him, more than you could ever know!!

Make sure you give him a big hug too!!

Warmly, Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

WELCOME DROCA!!!!!! GREAT TO HAVE YOU, BUT SORRY WHY! ms is an ai (autoimmune disease), and as such it does cause a weakend immune system. you have nothing to fear though as aids is spread through bodily fluids and is not contagious like a viral sickness is. I hope this is clear as I kind up foggy.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

bodily fluids

I understand that, but aren't sweat and saliva and tears bodily fluids also? How may times do we hear of the medical profession years after studying a disease tell us..."oops, we made a mistake on that..."?
        I really appreaciate all your comments and advice.

Comment

Aids became widely known in 1985.

You are totally safe if you desire to visit with your friend.
          Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Hi droca:
            In MS, your immune system isn't weak -- it's misdirected against your own body, hence the term "auto (self) immune." Depending on which DMD you're taking, your immune system might be compromised by medication, but not from MS itself.

HIV isn't a virus that travels through the air or is transferred by casual contact. HIV is transferred in body fluids. Regardless of the state of your immune system, you should practice "universal precautions" at all times -- not just around your visiting friend. That means no exchange of body fluids, and no contacting of body fluids with any open wounds. As long as your get-together doesn't involve either of those, you'll be fine as far as HIV goes.

As far as anything else you might catch from him, like a cold or flu or something else transmitted more casually, you're at the same risk at catching them from everyone else in "the gang" as you are from him. If you aren't concerned about that, then you don't have anything special to be concerned about in meeting with your friend with HIV. I hope you all have a wonderful time!

Comment

Saliva yes, but it has to be an exchange of bodily fluids, inside the body.

You are ok.. honest

Jan
              I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Hi droca:
                I just saw your second post. Here's information from AIDS.org: http://www.aids.org/topics/aids-faqs...iv-transmitted

The following “bodily fluids” are NOT infectious:
                Saliva
                Tears
                Sweat
                Feces
                Urine

Comment

I know I'm a little "wierd" but I've had this MonsTer for 12yrs now & am going thru an awful injection site reaction for over a month now that has landed me in a "Wound care center" w/ a sever case of cellulites.I'm seeing the head Dr. there & nobody can figure out how I got it. The weeks of testing & trying to clear this up,had left me exausted & not allowed to go out as I have gapeing open wound where my shot went in. They are deathly afraid of more infection.

So I'd have to say don't go,just talk in the pnone,can you "skype"? I hope I don't sound selfish or mean,but I've sure learned to put myself first.

Keep us posted Nona Judy

**Line spacing added by Moderator for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print.**

Comment

Hello owlnona,

Cellulitis is most often caused by Streptococcus pyogenes or Staphylococcus aureus, which are both contagious.

Droca, Redwings is correct. You have nothing to fear by attending a gathering with your friend who has AIDS.

Grace

Comment

Yes enjoy your friend, as actually he has more to lose catching a disease from any of his friends.

Enjoy this time together!

Jan
                      I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Here's another thing to take into consideration: it's not even proven that MS is an autoimmune disease. That's a "working theory" which has dominated MS research and treatment for many years, but there are medical professionals who question its validity.

Comment

Welcome

I agree with the others. Enjoy being with your "old gang", laugh, encourage each other. Hug him and I think the day will come that you will be glad, especially if this is the last time you are all together. Have fun
                          ~Patience~

Comment

Please visit your friend, enjoy the get together with the gang and Don't fear hugging, tears or no tears! HIV can Only be transmitted via Blood or Sexual Fluids/Secretions.

I have a Very good friend that has been HIV+ for a Very long time and we meet for coffee every week, when we both feel up to it.

I always make sure to give him a huge hug at the end of every get together, as it helps me just as much as it does him.
                            I'm an Artist.. Your rules don't apply

Comment

He's much, much, more likely to catch something from you than vice versa.
                              Go and see him and give him a hug and a kiss.

Comment

Working...
                              X