Who works? Who doesn't?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who works? Who doesn't?

Do you have a job? What do you do? Do you see yourself there for a long time? Or is MS affecting you and you see yourself leaving soon..

I'm a web designer. I sit all day which works for me. Vision and concentration are tough sometimes though. I would hope I'm here for a very long time. Of course when symptoms start kicking I get worried. I have a long drive to and from work too. Just curious about this.

I still work. I have worked in a medical product manufacturing plant for 8 years. I make syringes. I work 12 hour night crews, 7PM-7AM.
    I was diagnosed in October 2011, have been having symptoms for approx 6 years.
    I really noticed the cognitive impairment 6 years ago when I had a second job. I ended up quitting the second job because I thought I was just overdoing it and that was what was causing my new issues.
    It turns out it wasn't because of the second job.
    I am having a difficult time at work and I have been having a difficult time for a few years now and knew even before I knew it was MS that I wouldn't last there until retirement.
    I am going to try and last there maybe until I drop. I am a single mother and I need to keep going for as long as I can.
    DX 10/26/11

Comment

Look2theStars,
      I started noticing physical symptoms 6 months before retirement and was diagnosed 1 year later. Having taught K-8 for 28 years, I am eternally thankful I don't have to work with MS. Teaching kids is such a all-consuming job, I have great empathy for all those teachers who teach with MS. I couldn't do it. I just wouldn't have the energy needed.

Comment

Well...I do still work...but as a stay-at-home mom! I like the relaxed dress code, but the paycheck stinks!

OK, I know that's now what you mean. I had to leave the traditional workforce at the tender young age of 40. It was my chronic fatigue rather than mobility issues that did me in. It's weird to say, but sometimes I would prefer being in a W/C and having energy to living in a state of constant fatigue. Even life as a 50s housewife has it's issues. Today when I was hanging my clothes on the line, the clothes-pins felt heavy...like barbells!

I did stay in the workforce until the bitter end, but when it was time to go, I knew it.
        Tawanda

Comment

I work full time (actually it's 7 days a week, but not a full shift each day)...but from home, completely computer based job, so I just have to sit in my chair with my laptop. Do have to keep in contact with the office through calls and emails during the day...but the job's pretty much at my own pace.

I work for an online retailer, my job is to do some marketing, but mostly to ferret out online fraudsters who are trying to cheat our company by using stolen credit cards. They call me the Sherlock Holmes of the shopping cart I must say I thoroughly enjoy the job, especially when we catch the "cheaters."

The beauty of a web based remote job is I can do it even when I'm in the hospital...that makes me the "model employee." I not only don't take sick leave, I work while I'm hospitalized, LOL.

Actually it helps to pass the time when I'm in the hospital. Was in there recently for 4 days to get some IV antibiotics and it would have been boooooring if I didn't have my work to keep me busy.

So I intend to keep at it as long as possible, Lord willing!

Comment

Before I was diagnosed 5 years ago I worked full time. After diagnosis I dropped to a four day work week, with the option to work at home when needed.

As of July 1, I will be further dropping to a 3 day work week and will be totally working from home except when I absolutely need to be in the office.

I am a CPA and spend most of my day sitting. The commute got to be too much, and it was tough to get up and going.

So now I will be able to work in sweats and a pony tail and will maintain my benefits.

I am very very fortunate.
            Dx 06/07
            Copaxone

Comment

I'm an engineer (computer peripherals and such in Silicon Valley) and plan to keep working at least another 6 years, when I'll hit 62. So far my sx are 90% paresthesia & 10% random spasticity.

If I'm feeling good I might even hang on long enough to get the first 35-year award at my company (in 2019)! I'm already the longest-lasting employee by at least 2 yrs...
              1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
              NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunshyne View Post
                Before I was diagnosed 5 years ago I worked full time. After diagnosis I dropped to a four day work week, with the option to work at home when needed.

As of July 1, I will be further dropping to a 3 day work week and will be totally working from home except when I absolutely need to be in the office.

I am a CPA and spend most of my day sitting. The commute got to be too much, and it was tough to get up and going.

So now I will be able to work in sweats and a pony tail and will maintain my benefits.

I am very very fortunate.
                I am a sub teacher for middle school 5-8 gr. I work about 3 days per wk now.Before I worked every day I could get!For a while I worked as a hairstylist and did some subbing at the same time.Until 05 or 06(can't remember) when I knew it was time to leave the beauty industry because of cog problems and tremors. I've been subbing every since.

But it is now starting to wear on me.Some days I feel like I'm okay and then there are the days when I wish I'd listened to my body and stayed at home!
                It's getting harder to comprehend the school work even the 5the grade work
                I really don't want to leave unless it's absolutely necessary and I know my neuro will back me up 100%.

Hubby wanted me to quit 2 yrs. ago he feels it's too stressful.

Blessings!
                Meissie

Comment

I was dx last year at age 48 with CIS/RRMS. I work full time as a 12 month high school counselor which can be quite stressful and doesn't provide much break time. The MS symptoms that are most troubling for me are the cognitive symptoms and fatigue. I struggle with memory and attention issues. It takes me forever to accomplish tasks which the other counselors in my office seem to breeze through and I just don't feel like I'm working to the level I have in the past. I'm not sure where to turn at this point as I cannot afford to just stop working and am one year away from being vested in the state retirement system. I had planned to work for at least another 12 years, but not sure if that will happen.

Comment

I work full time as an Accountant for a small company. Our 'full-time' is only 37.5 hours a week, but I ensure to work over 40-45 hours so I don't feel bad about my doctor's appointments that are voluminous, lately.

I am at my best in the mornings, so by 3 pm I am whupped. At that hour, it's really too late for me to have coffee because it will impact my sleep. I need to think of these things sooner, at around 1 pm to boost with caffeine.

There are days I want to work part-time, but enough to keep full-time benefits. Ya never know. I have an appt with my Neuro Thursday to discuss my flare re-surfacing.
                    Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Sadly not

Hello I had to quit working 3/30/2011. when I went to the doctor the day before after a really bad flare she told me it was time to throw the hat in and try to get my self better.

I have been at home since that day, and am having troubles with it. I would much rather be working than what I feel all day. I have chronic right sided pain that initiated from a flare in late 09 and constant fatigue, balance issues, and cognitive issues as well. I also can no longer drive due to optic neuritis in right eye and vertigo. Also I take meds that I dont feel comfortable driving on. I would hate to hurt someone.

Since I have been home I can rest when I need to and have an actual life other than try to get showered, dressed, and in the car to drive to work. Now I can spend quality time with my family wich is the most amazing thing in the world.

I figure what ever will be will be and I cant change it worrying or thinking about it. I hope that you can stay working as long as you can. You say you have a long commute since you work computers would you be able to do your work remotely? wishing you more good than bad days.
                      LIVE LOVE LAUGH

Comment

Originally posted by MarkLavelle View Post
                        I'm an engineer (computer peripherals and such in Silicon Valley) and plan to keep working at least another 6 years, when I'll hit 62. So far my sx are 90% paresthesia & 10% random spasticity.
                        I'm working on a 65% Cabernet, 35% Merlot right now, Mark.

rex

Comment

I am retired now, but WAS on SSDI from 1985, age 39, till I was switched to regular SS when I hit 65 last year. So I have long long been out of the work force.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

I was working full time four 8 hour shifts as a nurse at a hospital on a busy surgical unit. They went to all twelve hour shifts a couple months ago and I had to drop to 2- 12 hour shifts. They are kicking my butt. I love my job and am oping I can continue for awhile especially since I provide the health insurance. I was just of for a couple weeks with a flare up. booo that sucked. I on the other and wish I could stay home so I can rest when I get tired and take care of myself and family.
                            SillyD
                            Dx RMMS 4/1/2011

Comment

Unlucky to have ms, lucky I do pretty well

I have been diagnosed for 28 years, still working 40 hours. I am a dietitian so can sit a lot. Also I don't have fatigue or mental fog. I have difficulty walking and bladder issues which doesn't interfere with my work. My goal is to work 12 more years until I'm 67. We still need the money since my law school graduate son can't find a job and we have one in college. Also, I love to shop on amazon!

Comment

Working...
                              X