It appears that your MSWorld session has not been initiated or has expired. To renew your session, please click here, then click 'Logout' on the right hand side and log back in again.

Go Back   MSWorld Forums > MSWorld Message Boards > Medications & Treatments
Register FAQ Calendar Guidelines Mark Forums Read Login

Medications & Treatments For discussing medications and all treatment methods

Old 04-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

Ampyra stopped working?

Has anyone been on Ampyra with success and then found that it stopped working for them?

I have been on it since September. I was in phyical therapy when I started and had improved in my walking speed and endurance.

Now for the last month, I feel like it isn't working. The only thing I can tell from it is when I don't take my second dose I really feel like my legs are heavy and hurt more.

I think I will call the neuro about but wondered if anyone else had something similar happen. If I go off it for a while, will the honeymoon return?

I was hoping to do the MSWalk this weekend, but now I am having second thoughts.

Thank you for your replies.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Talking

I had the same reaction, but after almost two years on Ampyra, I have come to believe it isn't so much that the Ampyra has stopped working or has leveled off, but rather the nerve damage has continued to progress. If I don't take Ampyra, there is a noticeable, negative change in my walking. I am "test driving" an Walkaide, and yesterday I noticed the electrical pulse wasn't as strong as the day before. After a while, I remembered I hadn't taken Ampyra that morning, and so I took it a few hours late. 30 minutes later, the electrical pulse was amplified BIG TIME! Ampyra is definitely working!
Old 04-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

I would agree that the ongoing progression of nerve damage could offset the effects of Ampyra. Been the case for me. Unfortunately for some of us, DMDs don't help (we don't have attacks), and other drugs can only do so much against a worsening situation.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

4-AP

Some of you know that aminopyridine has been used for years and is a great med for energy and helping legs. now, Ampyra comes along and my pharmacist has had a 400% increase in the cost of AP ingredients. This is would force me to Ampyra, but with insurance it's $550/month.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

I have the same thing but I feel its more that your body has gotten accustomed to Ampyra, kinda like a new car smell after a few months you don't notice it anymore but when you don't drive it a week or so and get in that new car smell is still there.