SEVERE LOWER BACK PAIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SEVERE LOWER BACK PAIN

Was just wondering if anyone here has lower back pain caused from MS. Mine has got so bad that I can hardly stand up for longer than 5 minutes. Yesterday as I was getting ready for church I had to sit down in the middle of putting on my makeup. Can't even stand long enough to wash a few dishes without having to sit down.

This started out gradually and is getting worse. Dr. gave me some muscle relaxers about 6 weeks ago for it but they don't even touch it.

My back feels weak and my legs even weaker. I didn't know if ms can cause this or if it is something else. I am going to see the neuro tomorrow. Was just wondering if anyone else has this that is caused from their ms.

Hi Deb,

Your PCP should have done either an x-ray, MRI or both to rule out an injury such as a disc problem. It is possible to cause muscle strain in your back which can be quite painful.

Since you have an appointment with your neuro tomorrow he will probably have you get an MRI.

Hope you feel better soon
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Did they do an U/A to rule out a kidney infecton?

Sara

Comment

Sorry you are having such terrible pain. Remember, not everything is MS related.

Yes, an Xray and MRI may be needed to see if anything else is going on. I have spinal stenosis with 3 bad discs pressing on nerves in legs. I cannot sit, lay or stand very long. I do take RX Diclofenac along with Baclofen for MS spasticity. Also I wear a lumbar wrap (found at drug stores) to give extra support. It really helps, along with slow stretches one leg at a time up to my chest (while laying down). This helps prevent those horrible spasms when I stand up.

Hope you get answers.. and soon!

Good luck, Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

This is one of my main issues as well, I can't stand for very long before it feels like my lower back goes into spasm & I'm in intense pain. It's been a problem for several years for me and because all the meds that have been reccomended practically triple my fatigue I chose to find ways to compensate for it on my own. I have to make sure I sit down for a moment or two whenever I feel it coming on but I've gotten better at judging when that's about to happen. I've had xrays been to physical therapy & all that good stuff, the best answer I got was that my muscles are locking up in my back and not releasing. (was told that by the physical therapist) Sorry I can't be of any help just wanted to say that I have this problem as well and offer you a bit of commiseration.

Oh! and forgot to add that I use ice packs as well, those seem to help in my case. Good luck !
          I choose to live and to grow, take and give and to move, learn and love and to cry, kill and die and to be paranoid and to lie, hate and fear and to do what it takes to move through.

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies. Went to the neuro this AM and going to do an MRI tomorrow. She says she thinks its a lesion on my spine.

Comment

Good you are getting the MRI!! YOu can pick up the disc (usually) right away AND in a couple of days, you can pick up the radiologist's report. THATs if you want to know ahead of time. Let us know how you're doing ok?

Warmly, Jan
              I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Hope the MRI solves the question of what is causing your lower back pain. A lesion wouldn't cause lower back pain unless it's affected function in some way.

I have a lot of lower back pain, which began when I started to have trouble walking. My body mechanics have changed and so everything is out of whack. So, walking is not only difficult, it's painful all over.

Comment

The symptoms you describe - pain when standing especially - sound orthopedic. I have the same trouble...not as bad when I'm walking at a slow pace, but what used to be called "window shopping" - take two steps, stand for two minutes, take another two steps, stand for a few minutes more, etc. - that's excruciating. Gotta sit down!

Hope the MRI is enlightening...it should be.

rex

Comment

Well the nurse called late yesterday and said they had my mri report back. She couldn't tell me anything cause she had just took it to the np to look at. She said she was sure the np and the doctor would have to discuss it before they gave me a call back. I didn't like the way she talked, kind of nervous about this.

Comment

Again, you need not worry as she is just following protocol. But you can pick up a copy of the radiologist's report where you had the MRI read. That way you can read what they say as their "impression" and be prepared. You can also have questions ready when the doctor/NP calls you.

Good luck..Try hard not to dwell on this. It will only use up necessary energy needed to heal and to be well.

Let us know what happens.
                      Sending you healing energy~

Jan
                      I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
                        But you can pick up a copy of the radiologist's report where you had the MRI read. That way you can read what they say as their "impression" and be prepared. You can also have questions ready when the doctor/NP calls you.
                        Not always. While they will normally give you a disc to bring back to the doctor (because it's usually the only way the doctor can see your images), the imaging facility may not release your report immediately.

Many doctors order several tests on the same patient, and they often do not want to discuss the results from one test before they have seen and digested the results from all the tests. That makes good sense. But more than that, many doctors don't want the patient to get the results before they do! And many want to be the ones to give the results to the patient.

While it may seem beneficial to get the results before your appointment, so that you can compile your questions, think about it from the physician's perspective. Most patients will not understand the report entirely, so they will go to Google (oy) or to venues like this (double oy) for answers and opinions. By the time they get to the physician's office, they're fully loaded with misinformation, information which doesn't apply in their case and very often unnecessary panic. The physician must then spend his time defusing that bomb, rather than proceeding in a manner appropriate to the actual test results.

So that's my two cents on that.

rex

Comment

Rex, I respect your opinion as you know this field so well. I understand how patients can misconstrue radiology reports that they do not understand, and google it etc. But that is not true in MY case. I have always been able to obtain a copy of radiologists report 2 days after my MRI. Maybe that is not the protocol for every place, but I have never had a problem at any facility that did my MRI.

I believe we can become educated enough to ask intelligent questions when you do meet/speak with your MD.

Jan
                          I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Originally posted by kingrex View Post
                            Most patients will not understand the report entirely, so they will go to Google (oy) or to venues like this (double oy) for answers and opinions.
                            Yeah -- God forbid they get advice from some guy with a royally redundant handle!
                            1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                            NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkLavelle View Post
                              Yeah -- God forbid they get advice from some guy with a royally redundant handle!
                              Now, I get that. But while it's true that I am the king of kings, I still don't want anyone charging into their doctor's office quoting my word.

Wiseguy - off with your head.

rex

Comment

Working...
                              X