Advice on Sleep Medication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Sleep Medication

Ok, so I need some advice on sleep meds....I have only been on sleep med 1 time, and it's been 9 years or so. I was put on Ambien during my 3rd trimester of my 1st pregnancy.

Can anyone tell me what has worked for them? I am currently on:

Valium 3 times a day
    Nucynta 4 times a day
    Neurotin 2 a day

I have an appt with the dr tues, and I would love to get some feedback on any sleep meds that has helped others, because I have NEVER had sleep problems except in my 1st pregnancy

~Diagnosed July 2010~ ~Rebif July 2010-June 2011~Copaxone Aug.-Oct 2011~ No more shots for me!!~ I choose quality over quanity!!!

Have a look at Trazodone. It's cheap and non-addictive.

Comment

Advice on sleep medication

I have been taking 100 mg of Trazadone for 15 yrs b/c of insomnia and it still works which is great. The only side affects that I experienced for the med was the first couple weeks I had a very dry mouth upon waking which is trivial in comparison to some of the other drugs on the market for sleep. Trazadone is actual a anti-depressant but for some reason it is a great sleep aid and many people take it for this reason. It is also true that it is non-narcotic which is great b/c the less narcotics in my system the better b/c they make me very sluggish all day. I also tried Ambien but it had to many side effects. I recommend taking 100 mg or 150 mg before bed. Hope this helps.

Mystery37

Comment

I use Clonazepam for spasticity and it helps me sleep.
        Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

You don't mention the reasons you're taking Neurontin, but I'm on it 4x daily to dull the tingling in my legs. I also work nights so I have my own problems with sleep at times. I've found that I can stretch out the first two doses through the early part of my day and then take two Neurontin about 30-60 minutes before bed. I sleep pretty well that way.

I am not your doctor, however. I recall in the literature for Neurontin that combining it with other sedatives can be dangerous. I wouldn't mess around with Valium and Neurontin dosages without talking to your doctor first.

Comment

Trazadone for me to it works great
            Anita

Comment

Ambien for me. No side effects for me. PP prescribed it and neurologist said it is o.k. with my other meds which are just blood pressure, antidepressant, Copaxone and Cerefolin. I have zanex but only have to use it about once every three months when I am really stressed out! Good Luck!

Comment

Well I am going to my neuro tomorrow to try to get my sleep issues worked out and I think I will ask for trazadone. I have had several people tell me it works for them.

Comment

I use a compounded drug, which means each dose is made by a compounding pharmacist. The drug is called 'LDN' , Low dose naltrexone. My primary doctor did not even know what it was. I found a doctor who did know and he has my dosage at 4.5 mg before bedtime. I had problems with sleep for easily 2 years, I didn't dream either. Since I have been on this drug, I sleep more comfortably and dream, as I have in the past. Don't expect your regular MD's to know about LDN. Naltrexone in its 50mg dose is used when someone shows up in the Emergency room.. high on opioids. It helps regulate the body's endorphin production, I think. Good luck with whatever you choose. I know what it means to go without sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by OHSnap View Post
                    I recall in the literature for Neurontin that combining it with other sedatives can be dangerous. I wouldn't mess around with Valium and Neurontin dosages without talking to your doctor first.
                    That's interesting, because I'm already taking gabapentin/Neurontin and my neuro was the one who rx'ed Valium when I complained about occasional sleep trouble. I even asked why not Ambien (which I'd used before), and he said that gabapentin & Valium were 'complementary' and would do to job together with less 'dopey' effect than Ambien.

So when I have two nights in a row with too little sleep (or know I'll need full energy for something important the next day) I take 5-10mg of Valium (half-whole pill). Usually even 5mg is enough to get me a full night's sleep.

It's important to note that the rx was with the understanding that I don't need it too often (and definitely not daily!), and it's a zero-refills rx (presumably to keep me honest). I would never combine any meds without asking a doctor (not even most supplements).
                    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

There was a really good show about supplements on dateline last week. Really scarry what no one controls.

Comment

I was one of the small percentage of people that trazadone didn't not help me sleep. In fact, I felt like I had taken a box of No-Doz!!! I'm taking Lunesta now, Ambien didn't work for me either. I'm beginning to think sleep is overrated . I hope you get relief soon.
                        "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."~ Roger Caras

Comment

Just a suggestion, and this would NEVER take the place of a sleeping pill...
                          I have had HORRIBLE insomnia and finally decided to supplement my sleep med with something natural, so I went to my LOCAL grocery store and bought some "Sleepy Time" tea. It has spearmint (among other things) in it and it helps me relax. Spearmint is something that has been shown to help relax people. I also mix my "Sleepy Time" tea with a 'relaxation type' of tea, sold at Trader Joes.
                          Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

horrible reaction to just 25 mg trazodone!

Wow, I cut the trazodone pill in half so it was just 25 mg. It didn't help me to sleep at all. It made me wide awake!! and my heart starting beating very fast and hard for hours - until I took 1/4 of my xanax pill. And it also made me to have pee alot during the night. What a terrible night. And what little sleep I had I had nightmares worse than I had been having before because of the steroids I had been taking. Still today my heart doesn't feel quite right and my stomach hurts and more. I'll never take this pill again. Back to my temazepam for sleep. At least thank goodness the pill was cheap so it didn't get me in the wallet too.

Comment

Neurontin/Gabapentin

I am currently taking Gabapentin (generic for Neurontin) 300mg a day, 1 at 4pm and 2 at bedtime. I also take Ultram 50mg 2 tabs - 3 x day. It has helped in the past.

I have found this past weekend that my leg sx's have kicked into high gear again and that I needed an increase in my Neurontin. Neuro increased it to 3 at night instead of two. I know this is a low dose as I see others are on much higher mg. Hoping this can help me with the legs and with sleep. I do occasionally take a muscle relaxer with my Neurontin at night for tight muscles that occasionally prevent me from walking normal. The left leg is the one that gives me the most trouble. I am using my cane more often now.

My question is ... has anyone else have trouble with swelling of hands because of the Neurontin or is this a new sx that I am developing. This has become an issue this past week and I can't seem to get my rings on and my right hand is going numb for some strange reason, like it goes to sleep as if i was sitting on it. Its not all the time but it is getting annoying. Is this something I should mention to my neuro? I see him in Jan.

My headaches have increased also but I think that my optic neuritis has flared up again and the left eye is compensating for the right eye. I am trying a patch over the right eye periodically to make the left eye stronger.

This sx is a permanent one as the opthalmologist/neurologist that is versed in MS said my eye will not recover since it has been two years. My vision in the right eye is like looking through a screen door, the left lower quad has a blind spot and my periphrial is compromised too. I have 20/100 in that eye and 20/20 in the left, with glasses. I have gotten used to that. Thank God I can still drive but on cloudy and or rainy days it is the most difficult and I usually have someone else drive if they can.

Thank you!
                              STR

Comment

Working...
                              X