Red/purple swollen feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red/purple swollen feet

When I woke up the last two days, my feet were completely numb and a reddish purplish color and swollen. Is this normal?
    RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Red swelling extremities

I am not sure about being normal or not but I get this too and many times it is in my hands. They get so swollen and red that they look like if they were to come in contact with a sharp object they would explode. When I get it in my hands, I can hold my hands down toward the ground and they remain swollen and very red but when I lift my hands up to show someone for instance the color would flow back into them and the swelling will move a little. It almost appears like Rheumatoid Arthritis but I have never had this before until a couple months ago and it is not everyday. Like you I will have it for a couple days and then it will disappear only to reappear a couple weeks later. So, you are not alone besides not knowing what it is.

Mystery37

Comment

if this is a major change from your normal i would get checked out, don't always assume that ms is the issue- it needs to be checked, have you ever had circulation problems or blood clots etc??

Comment

Email

I sent an email with all of my concerns needing addressed to my Nuero for my next appointment. He always reviews them the next day and if it's urgent, he will call ASAP instead of waiting until the 20th

Comment

Waking up with swollen feet of a different than normal color, especially red/purple is something that needs immediate attention, IMO. It could signal a blood clot somewhere higher up, or an infection.

My research also showed it can signal an autoimmune process such as RA, gout, or serious kidney or liver problems. So it's best to at least schedule a visit with your primary care physician ASAP rather than assume it's MS.

This happened to my husband. He had a swollen, numb, painful and red foot and ankle and it turned out he had an infection in his lymphatic system that had walled itself off (a good thing), but was starting to 'leak' into his blood stream. The resulting inflammation at the site of the 'leak' caused his femoral artery to totally clot off. He had to have a fem-pop dacron bypass on an emergency basis. He nearly died before the infection was found. When he was in intensive care on a vent for days before and after surgery, his nurses told me most doctors would not have operated on him as sick as he was, but the operation to remove the infection was the only thing that saved his life. While this is not necessarily what is happening with your legs, it is meant as an illustration that something as simple as swollen feet can quickly get out of hand. The longer you wait, the worse the outcome can be.

Comment

Yowzers

Thanks for the info. I'll call my pcp this morning

Comment

Working...
            X