It appears that your MSWorld session has not been initiated or has expired. To renew your session, please click here, then click 'Logout' on the right hand side and log back in again.

Go Back   MSWorld Forums > MSWorld Message Boards > General Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Calendar Guidelines Mark Forums Read Login

General Questions and Answers For learning, sharing your experience, and exchanging information about Multiple Sclerosis. Please discuss medications in the Medications forum, and natural supplements in Tara's forum.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Lidwina, the patron saint of MSers, (a most read story, for all MSers)

In the 9+ years of having MS every so often I hear stories of how people where told that their MS was caused be lack of faith or most recently because not spiritually grounded.

This time I had the ideal to Google famous religious people with MS, for my reply.
Much to my surprise I discovered a Dutch Saint that had MS, Lidwina of Schiedam.
She is the patron saint of ice skaters and the chronically ill.

But after reading that high lights of her story not only do I believe Saint Lidwina of Schiedam is the patron saint of MSers, I feel it is an inspiring MSer and one that we can relate to even though it happen 600 years ago. (Falls, pain, etc and even troubles getting health care I hate to think what health care was like back then )

I think hersí and her families story would make a great TV series.

Anyway I recommend taking a little time and Googling her story, and if any one happens to come across a Lidwina prayer please post it, I have not found one yet.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the recommendation...I'll definitely take you up on that and google her story.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Interesting story, Sir Voor! This got me into doing a tad bit more research and found that some also view St. Bartholomew (saint of neurological diseases) and St. Dymphna (affliction of the nervous system) as also patron saints. Altho, Lidwini is the only one to be viewed as having MS.

After searching, I didn't know there were so many saints ~ for every condition, affliction, occupation, circumstance, etc - you name it, they have you covered!!
Old 03-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

ST Lidwina Prayer

This is the prayer I found on a St. Lidwina pryer card:

----Prayer----

St. Lidwina, in your sufferings you knew well the weight of the cross. Please pray for all who are burdened in life. Teach us by your example to never waste one drop of pain, but to lovingly and courageously "offer it up" to our Lord, who suffered patiently for us.
Amen.

"When you are going through hell, keep on going. Never, never, never, give up."
Winston Churchill