Hand Pain Relief Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand Pain Relief Suggestions

I started this thread a few days ago asking if the shoulder/numbness in my left arm was from a pinched nerve or my MS

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118114

Well it turned out to be my MS I got an MRI last Monday (02.07.12) and started my 10 days of steroids Last Tuesday (2.08.12)

My hand has progressed to the point where its is stuck in a tense state at all times... think of a permanent monster claw, but thankfully I can see slow improvement since starting the steroids.

My question is does anyone have any suggestions as to how to relieve some of this tension/pain resulting from my hands unwillingness to relax?
    Should I Soak the hand?
    Should I continue the finger exercises I have been doing?
    Is PT recommended?

I had the claw hand after I had surgery
    With The pain meds I was taking I did not notice the pain so much.
    Thank goodness with the exercises I did I have lost the claw for the most occasionally when I am tired I see alittle of it

Comment

OH dear, sounds like a contracture from spasticity. Are you on any of the anti spasticity meds? Baclofen and there are others.

Good luck, hope you get relief soon but again, it sounds like spasticity.

Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Not on any spasicity meds, but I do have a doctors appointment on Monday so I will be sure to bring it up then. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

OT

I would always recommend OT to help with this.

There is a seperate section on the message boards for an OT that volunteers for MSWorld. I would consider posting there for some good points.
          God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Yes a hand therapist would be your best bet. A reg ot is probably able to do the same basic things, just that the hand ot's are more specialized. They can even help you with a brace (if needed) to help your hand stretch back out to normal, once you are a spasm med. They can also do massage and the paraffin dips.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X