Symptoms and heat??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symptoms and heat??

Hi everyone, Just wondering if heat effects all people with MS or are there those who's symptoms are not effected by the heat.
    Have read conflicting things, but it would seem that heat worsening symptoms, is a signature symptom of MS.
    Thanks
    Kathy
    2004 pos/MS 2006 Pos/MS also Pos/Crazy 14/01/2012 here we go againDx RRMS 21/06/2012

At least so far, the heat doesn't seem to be affecting me. I have the shower so hot that my hubby complains it's too hot for him. I realize though that it may change as things progress.

Comment

Originally posted by woodstock View Post
      At least so far, the heat doesn't seem to be affecting me. I have the shower so hot that my hubby complains it's too hot for him. I realize though that it may change as things progress.
      Genuine LOL! Hot showers amp up my paresthesia a bit, but they are an essential luxury...
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Hello,

My symptoms are certainly worsened by heat. It triggers almost all of my symptoms, and is an absolute nightmare! Can't handle florida heat or anything..!

Hope it's not the same with you!! Best wishes!

Comment

Many, but not all are effected by heat and those that are can be in degrees varying from being mildly fatigued to being incapacitated by numerous sx at once. It is common enough that hot baths used to be used as part of the dx process. They'd put you in a tub of hot water and see if sx got worse.

On the other hand,some sx, like spasticity, can increase with cold, so there are folks like me who have to have the Goldilocks temperature.

The problem with heat is that our nerve conduction is impaired due to the damage MS has done. Heat further slows nerve conduction. It's much like 4 lanes of traffic suddenly being funneled into 1. Sx we regularly have can amp up with a raise in body temperature of even a fraction of a degree.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ity/index.aspx

Comment

Like with almost all things MS related, there is no set pattern and it affects everyone differently.

For me it start with balance, then as I get hotter the more symptoms I started Ampyra in May of 2010 and that summer my heat sensitivity was just as bad as normal, but the extremely hot summer of 2011 did not bother me that much.
            A fever still does me in, and I sweet a lot easier when doing stuff in the heat.
            Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

The heat drives me insane and believe it or not I live in Florida. My heat is an inward body heat. I can't drink anything hot because it just kind of radiates from my body. I've had this for a long time but it has worsened over the years. I love a hot shower but it takes all of the energy out of me so the only time I enjoy this is right before bed. Needless the say the summers are long and hot for me. I am thankful for air conditioning!

Comment

Thanks so much for the replies,It would seem as with every other aspect of MS that heat is indeed an individual thing.
                This is such a frustrating slippery insidious desease
                Thanks again
                Kathy
                2004 pos/MS 2006 Pos/MS also Pos/Crazy 14/01/2012 here we go againDx RRMS 21/06/2012

Comment

Let me say first every one reacts differently, but I was in the hospital & the elderly lady next to had her family turning up the heat, when my neuro came in he said "why is it so hot in here" I just pointed to the poor lady next to me & within 15min. I was in a new room w/ another MS paitent and a wonderful 68 degrees!
                  Heat is one of my bigest enemys,I never go out in summer, I live in D.C. that saies it all LOL!
                  God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

Brief, shower heat doesn't bother me but outside, environmental heat (and humidity!) are not my friends
                    At weddings, my Aunts would poke me in the ribs and cackle "You're next!". They stopped when I started doing the same to them at funerals. Dave Barry

Comment

I am able to put up with the heat much better than the cold, I cant get warm, I feel better in the summer but must admit it is better than before since being on ampyra. Nuero explained that it reduces the amount of "leakage " of potassium which is why it helps movement, as your body puts out more potassium when it gets hot he believes that is why some people get some relief from the heat that are on it. Makes sense to me.
                      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

yah, it seems my body likes atleast 36-40 deg..if i move to much i sweat so uncontrollably..its crazy..when its hot and humid it brings on the fatique and other annoying gifts from the ms fairy. i wear shorts all year long!!! it seems like if i have anything on my legs i get hotter..i hate sweating, but my last job was physically taxing and i sweat so much i lost 60 lbs! that as good,kinda looked crazy with towles all draped over me..lol

Comment

Working...
                        X