It appears that your MSWorld session has not been initiated or has expired. To renew your session, please click here, then click 'Logout' on the right hand side and log back in again.

Go Back   MSWorld Forums > MSWorld Message Boards > "I Can Relate" Room > Primary /Secondary Progressive MS
Register FAQ Calendar Guidelines Mark Forums Read Login

Primary /Secondary Progressive MS For those living with Progressive MS to discuss treatment options and lifestyle issues.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

Wheelchair bound and do passive ROM?

Does anyone here who is wheelchair bound do passive Range of Motion (ROM) exercises?

My husband started using a WC this year and can only stand briefly and still transfer. I've heard that ROM can prevent contractures. Is anyone here doing them or have a PT come to their home?
Old 12-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Administrator

hi skyeblue, i do rom with freeweights and with exercise bands both. they really seem to help out.
MS World

"There is no normal life, just life." Val Kilmer in Tombstone
Old 12-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

Thanks hunterd.

Do you use the bands with your legs?
Old 12-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

I used to have Pt come and they made suggestions that the home health aides do now-- I get them doing my legs since I too can do standing and transferring so they do my legs as I have little control of them(they do it twice a week with my bath)
I do my upper torso my self and do them every day for the most part. it has kept me limber but the added benefit is that my spasticity has decreased with the exercising
Old 12-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Life in Action magazine featured a free dvd for those who cannot participate in standing exercises, July- Aug. Funded in part by the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation.

**adress removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld guidelines. go to UserCP > Your Details to put in your profile**
for Home Practice dvd- Tai Chi Mini Sets