MS and neck stiffness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and neck stiffness

I have just started the diagnoses stage of this adventure. It has been a year for me. Currently in between Dr.s because I think my current Nuero is scared to diagnose and medicate. I started last October with numbness in my legs and feet. My hands soon joined and thats when I became worried. 2Drs later I finally get an MRI and have a hypertence lesion in my c2-4. This week I have severe stiffness in my neck. I get this at a minimum of twice a year and wondering today if it is related.
    limbo land for 1 year and 4 months DX February 2012 Copaxon February 2012 for 6 months. No DMD's since.

Neck stiffness

Hello! I was also recently diagnosed with MS. On top of that I have Arnold Chiari Malformation Type 1. My first major symptom was also numbness in my legs and feet. During my c-spine MRI they found a lesion at c-2 and I often have a stiff neck and muscle tension! I am fairly positive that this is MS related. Take care and try to rest when you can! Extreme fatigue is another major factor for me!

Comment

neck stiffness

I am learning that fatigue and stress brings on excerbations. I had a presentation at work today and my hands were going crazy.. The tingling and freeze is unbearable at times. My head is pounding, my eyes feel like they dropped out of my socket hit the ground and bounced back in my face... They also seem to be getting full of sleep.. My goodness the headaches are so bad..
      limbo land for 1 year and 4 months DX February 2012 Copaxon February 2012 for 6 months. No DMD's since.

Comment

Originally posted by ladibabe View Post
        I am learning that fatigue and stress brings on excerbations. I had a presentation at work today and my hands were going crazy.. The tingling and freeze is unbearable at times. My head is pounding, my eyes feel like they dropped out of my socket hit the ground and bounced back in my face... They also seem to be getting full of sleep.. My goodness the headaches are so bad..
        It could be MS related, or it could be stress related. The dx stage puts you under serious stress. Man, my neck and shoulders are a mess! But, the mess in my shoulders and neck isn't from lesions - it is stress Massage helps me a lot.

Also, regarding the stress. Doctors haven't fully been able to 100% connect an MS relapse and stress but, we all react poorly to stress. I personally think there is a direct coorelation between stress and MS, not sure if I think stress causes a relapse but it sure messes with my symptoms. When I am stressed at work, it's hard to type, my cheek goes numb, my leg acts weird...I type words that I didn't mean to type even.

But, it is usally not an actual "excerbation", it is a "psuedo excerbation". I even went to my neuro last week to double check...sure enough, as soon as I relaxed my symptoms went bye bye (well, the ones I was feeling when I was stressed anyway).

The fatigue on the other hand, is more than likely a symptom of MS. A super crappy symptom. It's one of the hardest for me personally. I take a stimulant to help and it works great!

If your usual symptoms are getting worse and not alleviating, or if you are getting new symptoms, you should call your neuro and let them know. Even if you haven't been dxd, they should know how you are feeling (headaches, shoulder pain, etc). This should push them more to move for more testing and/or dx.

This may not be feasible for you (not sure of your situation), but many of us benefit from relaxation techniques. Such as, yoga, meditation, rest breaks, etc. You may feel better adding something like that into your regular schedule? It has helped me a bunch.

Hope that helps!
        dxd RRMS 7/2011 - Rebif 8/2011 - Tecfidera 7/2013

Comment

My headaches and neck and shoulder pain comes and goes. BUT I sit at a computer all day and sometimes it is just a chore to hold my head up to work. My hardest thing is that I don't feel a part of my work place anymore. I only have a year and a half before I can retire and it's not the job that bothers me it's the people who kind of never ask he how I feel even thought I look like crap some days. It's like they don't care. I am lucky that I can still do my work and it is in black and white so there is no reason for me to be treated like this. I have been here 33 years and have lived in this little community all of my life. I feel like an outcast. I don't complain to anyone and have not had to take many days off work but go home and hit the bed. It is so frustrating!

Comment

I also have a very large lesion from c2-c4. I have very little problems with spasticity, except in my neck and shoulders. Could be coincidence, but maybe not.

Most of my problems are sensory as well.

Comment

Working...
            X