Constant chronic headaches and migraines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Constant chronic headaches and migraines

I have had chronic migraines since I was very young(approx 12 yrs old). For the last few years it has been almost daily. Now for the last few days I have had a constant headahce that is not quite a migraine, but a severe headache that won't go away no matter what I take or try to do. I have never had a headache that quite felt like this before. It hurts to use my eyes, my jaw hurts, my whole face and head hurt. Sounds stupid but even my lips hurt. It's not a migraine or a sinus headache. Does anyone had any advice on what to try?

I'd go for a doctor. I'm not being facetious. Something is wrong.

Comment

try this

Originally posted by theofficemommie View Post
      I have had chronic migraines since I was very young(approx 12 yrs old). For the last few years it has been almost daily. Now for the last few days I have had a constant headahce that is not quite a migraine, but a severe headache that won't go away no matter what I take or try to do. I have never had a headache that quite felt like this before. It hurts to use my eyes, my jaw hurts, my whole face and head hurt. Sounds stupid but even my lips hurt. It's not a migraine or a sinus headache. Does anyone had any advice on what to try?
      officemommie, hi, my name is lance and my ms doc prescribed Fioricet 200mg one per day in the mornings. It has helped me greatly with my head pain and some of the same symtoms you are having. Give your Doc a call about this and see if it might work for you. best of Luck, hang in there.

Comment

I have had the same horrid headaches since I was young. The doctor put me on Maxalt. I take it when I feel one coming on and within an hour it is gone...sometimes faster. I swear that is a miracle drug! I could give the rest of the meds up as long as I can keep that one!
        Hope for the best, prepare for the worst and that way you have all your bases covered.

Comment

need help too!!

I also suffer from the daily headache/verge of a migraine, along with dizziness and balance issues. I've been dealing with it for over 2 years now. I'd love to hear some suggestions on this one, as well.

When it gets really bad I take an Etodolac (anti-inflammatory) and Prochlorperazine (for nausea). Mostly I lay down with an ice pack on the base of my neck.

Only other thing I've found that helps is ice cream. yeah...I eat some ice cream and it makes me feel a little better.

Good luck to you!

Comment

I can't believe that you said ice pack and ice cream.....it is what I want after I take my imitrex and excedrin and advil!!

Also, an ice cold coke helps me!
            DX: RRMS Jan 2010 -- LDN: Mar 2010-Dec 2010, Tysabri: Feb 2011 reaction, Gilenya: Aug 2011 reaction, Copaxone: Oct 2011 reaction, Tecfidera: May 2013 reaction

Comment

I find this very interesting. Some of you describe headaches exactly like mine. Chronic migraines with good and bad weeks/months and the neck/forehead headache. I really would like some more detail on the neck ache you talk about. When mine is bad, I can feel pulsating in the neck and it feels like across the base of the scull there is warmth and inflammation that needs to be cooled down. But I don´t think there is anything to see or feel from the outside, feels like it could be the arteries or something, nothing like tired or stiff muscles. So yes, ice packs, ice cream and a cold clothe to the forehead is what I need. Lately I wonder whether it is inflammation in the brain that causes this feeling - by affecting the blood flow or arteries.

I am new to this website and am in a diagnostic process. So it is not certain that I have MS.

Comment

I had a horrible problem with migraines from the age of 12 and all through my 20s. They stopped once I quit smoking and, thankfully, I don't get them anymore! They are pretty evil.
                “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
                Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Assuming you're a female and in the age of hormonal change (late thirties to 50?) .....

I never had migraines like I do now (or did) until my hormones started changing...things got weird down there and I'd get almost constant migraine sxs that def' jived at peak w/ my hormonal sched.

I finally at 46 broke down and tried bc pills to stop them and I'm so glad I did. They are mostly gone and I'm functional again.

I dont smoke and don't have high blood press, or high cholesterol so Im okay so far.

I first used otc healthfood store usp progesterone creams daily and that was my first clue progesterone was a miracle for me,
                  when it stopped working I went to high progesterone non stop bc pills (no period since it spiked ms sxs anyway). Pills ie: seasonique or its cheaper equivalent levora and two others.
                  ( a huge hint ..you must must take the pills on time daily or you will have bleeding and break thru' headache).

Just thought I'd throw it in the idea pile

Comment

I am 32 and have had MS for almost 5 years. I had Migraines so bad where I was in the ER way to often and I was popping Advil every 4 hours and it wasn't even touching my pain. Tried all kinds of stuff and nothing was working, I couldn't take the onset pills because at that point...it was to late and was headed to the ER I needed a preventive pill. My doc put me on Topamax.....GOD SENT! I have been on it since March of this year and I have maybe had a handful of minor (and when I say minor, I mean take a few Advil and be fine) headaches.....you and everyone knows how WONDERFUL that is

Worth talking to your Doctor about.
                    this is my magical drug

Comment

Imitrex does nothing for the daily headaches (and actually makes my muscles hurt). My Dr. mentioned Topamax but wants to wait until I get my neuro 2nd opinion. Any side effects from the Topamax?
                      I'm a mother, a wife, a nurse, and a graduate student... I guess it COULD be stress!

Comment

I find that when I am getting my headaches I think I clench my jaw when I sleep. When I am going through a flare up, I will sometimes get worsening spasms that I can work out when I am awake but wake up with very sore leg muscles and my whole head hurts like someone smacked me with a ball bat.

When I start with a headache awake, my neuro has rxd Axert. You can take it and another 2 hours later if needed. And you don't lose 6-8 hours being zonked out like some of the other meds for this that I have tried.

Comment

Originally posted by mommyRN View Post
                          Imitrex does nothing for the daily headaches (and actually makes my muscles hurt). My Dr. mentioned Topamax but wants to wait until I get my neuro 2nd opinion. Any side effects from the Topamax?
                          only a few....I had some bad numbness in my feet...uhhh hello I am use to that right (I thought I was having a flare it was that bad) but it went away over time. I get pins and needles in my feet from time to time but I don't know if that is related or not. Hey I think these are WAY better then my every day headaches.

Comment

Ha! My feet are already numb! I'm willing to try it, but have to wait until January In the meantime I'll put up- Thanks for the info!
                            I'm a mother, a wife, a nurse, and a graduate student... I guess it COULD be stress!

Comment

oh and I lost like 50lbs did I forget to mention that part

Comment

Working...
                              X