Tongue Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tongue Problem

Could any one throw any light on tongue numbness for a new member. Any remedies coping mecanisms? Anything?
    Samkeane

I have also had a numb tongue but only the left side of it, also my left cheek is numb as well (inside and out). I have dealt with allot of numbness (mainly legs) over the past 4 years but this has to be the oddest feeling that only half of my tongue is numb. I have been eating very slowly so that I don't bite my tongue as I crew.

Comment

Is it affecting your speech or swallowing? You can ask your doctor to refer you to a speech therapist for advice and help.
      First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
      Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

Is it making it difficult to swallow? You can have a barium swallow test done. Might help doc decide if you are having a relapse.

Comment

Hi,

Sorry you're dealing with the "numb tongue"...try saying that five times fast :0

I've had that problem, to varying degrees for many years. I'm posting a link to a thread where it was discussed.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ghlight=tongue

Solutions, don't have many to offer but encouragement because for many people it's a come and go symptom and never sticks around too long.

Comment

I had half my tongue go numb and some facial numbness. I asked for a course of low dose oral steroids and that resolved it. Worth a try if it is bothering you and you can tolerate oral steroids. Good luck!

Comment

Tongue tingling/numbness is a pretty common symptom for me. One day, in the midst of a period where about a third of my tongue had no feeling at all, i started drinking my coffee one morning, only to realize that it tasted really unpleasant. That was the morning i decided, "Okay, now it's personal!" and started persuing dx more aggressively.
              Dx October 10th, 2011 - Syringomyelia (Syrinx of the upper cervical spinal cord at the C1-C2 level, 2 x 10 mm), cause yet to be determined...
              October 28, 2011 - Gabapentin is my new best friend.

Comment

This really isn't MS related... but almost decade ago I had my wisdom teeth removed and apparently the doctor nailed a nerve... the left of my tongue went numb and has been ever since. I tend to bite it accidentally, but otherwise I just got use to it. I'm also conscious of brushing extra well on that side since I can't feel if there's debris in there. I'm a chronic pen chewer and ended up hacking up a huge piece of lint that went from my pocket to the pen to my mouth that I didn't feel for about 10 minutes.

Comment

The right side of my face and right half of my tongue were numb during the flare that led to my DX. Went away with solumedrol.
                  Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Tongue problem

Thanks to all those who replied.
                    To answer some of your questions it hasn't affected my swallowing as it is towards the front of my tongue. It came and went for a while but is overstaying its welcome this time and getting closer to pain or at least discomfort. Anyone suffer pain in that area?

Comment

I am not alone!!! Last year I had the right side of my tongue and chin go numb to the point where it felt like I had just been to the dentist for some novocaine. It started slow but by the time I called the doctor it was quite painful because the numbness was so intense. I had a three day treatment of Solumedrol and other than the NASTY taste from the drug the numbness went away within a couple days.

Good luck!

Comment

The right side of my tongue has been numb for seven years. It was my very first MS symptom, and its still with me. I googled numb tongue and one of the causes that popped up way back then was a symptom of MS. I have family members with MS and so I wasnt totally surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by busybees View Post
                          The right side of my tongue has been numb for seven years. It was my very first MS symptom, and its still with me. I googled numb tongue and one of the causes that popped up way back then was a symptom of MS. I have family members with MS and so I wasnt totally surprised.
                          Wow, exactly the same with me...first symptom and it never remitted (15 yrs.) Mine is a tingly numb now, not completely numb, but the left side feels funny like I drank something too hot, and no taste on that side either. It also affects my speech, but the tingles/pain I experience seem to come and go in intensity w/out ever completely going away. so weird how the symptoms affect only one side...like I drew a line down the middle of my tongue.

Comment

Working...
                          X