It appears that your MSWorld session has not been initiated or has expired. To renew your session, please click here, then click 'Logout' on the right hand side and log back in again.

Go Back   MSWorld Forums > MSWorld Message Boards > Archive
Register FAQ Calendar Guidelines Mark Forums Read Login

Archive Not for Posting

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 04:34 PM
saywhat's Avatar
saywhat saywhat is offline
Registered Member

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 115
How long did your first attack last?

I know everybody is so different but I'm just wondering how long it took from when you first got sick, to actually be able to semi-function again.

I haven't been back to "normal" since I first got sick on Aug 22nd, I just get a day or so where I have SOME energy and I feel like I may be getting better, but then I crash again (energy wise) and develop new symptoms. I am so tired of this. I want to feel better and have some kind of energy back!!!!

Please tell me that this attack will go away!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 04:51 PM
KalikaLily's Avatar
KalikaLily KalikaLily is offline
Registered Member

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 107
My 'last' attack started in March. Not all of the effects had gone away when I started my most recent attack three weeks ago... So I am having a really really crappy time of it.
But my attack I had before these two only lasted three weeks, and there were only a few permanent effects that lasted

It not only depends on the person, but on the flare itself!

Stay well
Old 09-08-2011, 05:15 PM
SNOOPY's Avatar
SNOOPY SNOOPY is online now
Registered Member

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,850
Hello shutterbug,

If this all started for you on August 22nd it really hasn't been very long. It does take time

Exacerbations (relapse, attack, flare-up) can last from weeks to months. Recovery from an exacerbation can take longer.

If you are doing more than what your body is capable of, at this time, it's not uncommon to experience lack of energy and have some symptoms show up the next day or two.
1985 dx'd RRMS. 5/09/2013:Secondary Progressive without Progression. Never used DMDs. Low EDSS.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:18 PM

Posts: n/a
It could take months before you're back to normal. But the thing you must do now, is REST. Rest is undervalued, but you need it to heal.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Skinny's Avatar
Skinny Skinny is offline
Registered Member

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perdido Key, FL
Posts: 136
Gosh I agree all flare are so diffrent My 1st one lasted 8 weeks it was ON then I went a couple years with having them only last a couple weeks at a time. Then the last one came in Jan. still lingering 9 mos latter... So you never can tell I geuss eachone is diffrent and last diffrent times. Hope yours wont last long.

In Limbo for 7 years. MS Dx July 2011. I am a Copaxone Cutie
Old 09-08-2011, 09:59 PM
saywhat's Avatar
saywhat saywhat is offline
Registered Member

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 115
I"m resting as much as I can, but I'm a single mom with a 2 year old, so that's hard. I'm taking her to daycare and babysitters as much as I can so that I can rest, but she's starting to get stressed and act out and it just breaks my heart. All I want is to be able to take care of her.

I just feel so trapped. I can barely take care of myself or walk, I need this to END!!!!

We're going to have to move, we live on the top floor of 3 flights of stairs and I just can't do the stairs anymore. I'm going to lose my job and health insurance if I can't go back when my medical leave ends... I'll have 0 income, 0 job, 0 health insurance. Ugh!!! We're living off of school loans right now and I haven't even been to school because I was inpatient getting IV steroids on the first day of school.

I hate this disease. If this is even what I have. They don't know yet and I can't get into the neurologist until the 19th.

I've had to start accepting help and I HATE THAT. I'm independent. I was. Now I can't even lift my own child most of the time. Just having a bad day, I guess I'm coming out of shock about everything. It all happened so fast.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Strhuntrss's Avatar
Strhuntrss Strhuntrss is offline
Registered Member

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
Posts: 253
Flare up came up so quick

My non-diagnosis symptoms came up so quick this time. The fatigue is unbearable. I called off work because my fatigue is so bad that I can't lift anymore boxes and trays. I had so much energy this morning. My middle back hurts so bad, feels itchy and my hands hurt something awful. And to top that off, I try and talk and the words come out all wrong. Glad my husband puts up with me. So patient. Wish I knew what is wrong. My eyesight hasn't come back completely. Still have the smudge, so reading is soso at best and I still see the broken lines in my peripherial vision when I drive. Grrr. Op/Neuro still hasn't diagnosed me except with ON. Swelling is coming back on the ON. Been like this since Apr 2011. Just venting, sorry
Old 09-09-2011, 07:50 AM
burko burko is offline
Registered Member

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 21
My first attack 11 years ago lasted about 6 months from the initial flare to what i consider remission. I had a complete recovery of symptoms which included numb hands, feet, double vision, cognition issues, fatigue to the max and a limping left leg.

My last attack started December 2008. This one has been worse with basically the same symptoms except that the cognitive aspect has been much worse. The first year I was stuck with constant symptoms and fighting to deal with it all. After about the first year i noticed every 2-3 months a little improvement all around.

I started trying to go for walks every day starting this past March. It was difficult with(hyperextension) of the left knee. I gradually increased the mileage and things have gotten easier (less hyperextension). I go 2 miles (I used to jog all the time) and some days are better than others.

All around I am feeling better (not perfect) and am thankful to be where I am at today. I thought I was stuck with the way i was 3 years ago. It has taken alot of mental and physical effort to be where I am currently at. As hard as it can be, try to keep a positive outlook.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:23 PM
salamandertom's Avatar
salamandertom salamandertom is offline
Registered Member

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 757
Honestly, I am not sure mine ever stopped since November of last year.
Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~
Old 09-10-2011, 02:53 PM
tambrown's Avatar
tambrown tambrown is offline
Registered Member

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bloomington Il.
Posts: 135
I've only had one other flare and it lasted, well sx lasted, over a year then I was back to normal. I still have the fatigue all the time . This flare is much lighter. My dh caught it, not me, she said my brake pedal was vibrating real bad I didn't even notice I go for MRI monday an will most likely get my official dx then .

It's so weird how it's so different for each person makes for a hard dx . I hope you get to feeling better soon .

A friend hears the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails .
Old 09-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Spydre Spydre is offline
Registered Member

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 797
My first exacerbation, as we know of it, was weird. STarted off with a seizure out of nowhere, then continued with just the tingling in my face - so this was from mid-October to mid-December or later. I also had seizure activity peaking during this time, but didn't have any more seizures. It took until mid-November to get into to see a new neuro - had undergone an insurance change in September. He did an MRI to check to see if there was something wrong that could have caused the seizure, as my seizures had been controlled for 10 years, and he found the lesions.

After mid-December, I didn't have anything happen until mid May - full blown symptoms - weakness in my hands, tingling and numbness in my left hand. I called the neuro about it - he sent me to the ER to get an MRI....but they wouldn't do the MRI, they just sent me home with orders to follow up with him. He was ticked that they didn't do an MRI. But he ordered the MRI, and came back with new lesions enhanced. I think the attack itself lasted maybe 2 weeks, but it took quite a while to get functioning back in my hand.
Diagnosis: May, 2008
Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11
Old 09-10-2011, 04:44 PM
REG53 REG53 is offline
Registered Member

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 671
My attacks last from 2 wks to a month.
God Bless Us All
Old 09-10-2011, 04:49 PM
NickyOz's Avatar
NickyOz NickyOz is offline
Registered Member

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australian but live in Ireland
Posts: 163
in 10 years i have had very few relapses and nothind severe. I am in the middle of a 5 and half serious relapse that has taken my walking ability away, very little balance, optic neuritis, fatigue etc. It has changed my whole life and I put up many barriers to get me through. Tonight the grief broke through and I cried like a baby
Old 09-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Tracy42 Tracy42 is offline
Registered Member

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 104
First attack

My first attack took 3 months to recover. I drug my left foot, lost feeling in my left arm, and could do very little. At just lifted. I had no idea I would regain stay strong, it takes some time.

God Bless ~ Tracy
Old 09-11-2011, 05:10 PM
jumpinjiminy jumpinjiminy is offline
Registered Member

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: US
Posts: 1,142
I've had three obvious episodes in the last year. The first one lasted two months, with new symptoms coming on every week. The second one lasted at least a month and maybe two. The third one lasted a week, but it took a couple of months for most of it to clear up. Then there was a fourth small episode that lasted a couple of days, the effects of which also lingered months.

There might be another one starting, but it's too subtle to tell.

The thing that's never left me in all this time is the fatigue. It makes me feel like it's never really left.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:23 AM.