steriod infusion and high bp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steriod infusion and high bp

I just finished the last of my 3 day infusion treatment and it went very well until they took my bp. At the beginning it was 173/93 so we chalked it up to to walking to the office and nerves. But after the 1-1/2 hour drip and sitting and reading my book my bp was slightly higher: 177/95. I know it's a temporary thing from the meds but no one seems to know how long it takes for the bp to recover. I have a call into my neuro to whether I should take the pills for the taper. Last time I just went cold turkey and was fine. Does anyone here have any experience with this? How long should I expect to have high bp? It sure feels weird. kinda buzzy. Could the nyquil i took last night have interacted with the solumedrol? I asked 2 pharmicists but they didn't know (I didn't think to ask about the Nyquil) thanks in advance. Sara

Some Nyquil products have a decongestant in them and that alone can increase your blood pressure. You would probably need the name of the steroid given and you can look up the adverse reactions. I hope it gets better soon.

Comment

I've had a 3 day infusion for a relapse in the past and my blood pressure never increased. In fact, it seemed low.
      Diagnosed Feb. 2011
      Rebif 3/11-5/11;Copaxone 6/11-10/11;Gilenya 10/11-present

Comment

I just finished my first ever (yeah me) 3 day course of 1gram IV Solumedrol; my blood pressure ran 160s-170s/90s-100s all three days during the infusions, remained mildly elevated in the evenings, and has returned to baseline for me now that I've been done two days. I understand high blood pressure CAN be a side effect of high dose IV steroids, but that, coupled with outrageously high blood sugars, have made me write a letter of request asking that if I require intervention for another flare, I be allowed to use ACTHar gel, injectable, which CAN have the same side effects, but to a lesser degree. We'll see what the insurance company has to say about all that.

Comment

Working...
        X