Anal Leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anal Leaking

Let's get right to it. I have been holding off having a bowel movement for as long as two days because every time I do, I leak for several hours. Does anyone else have this problem? I try to go and then get right into the shower. When I get out I've found that by the time I get down stairs, my underwear are wet. It seems to stop after a while, but if I have something to do afterwords It can be rather embarrassing. I am constantly looking to see if there's a wet spot where I just sat.

Any suggestions? I have stuck toilet paper there to try to stop it, but it just gets wet to....

do you have any issues with constipation? i had something like that going and i read that it is often caused by a small fecal impaction and then bowl seeping around it. i gave myself a fleet enema and it cleared it up for me & now i keep a fleet enema whenever i get bm incontinance, takes care of it...

i was very worried when it was happening until i read that urinary incontinence is actually more dangerous & the doc has to know if a person has urinary incontinence, but bowl incontinence is less serious just more socially embarrassing.

when that was happening to me i researched much & much--i'll see if i can find the articles on it, most helpful was from the spinal association.

http://www.unitedspinal.org/msscene/...-accompany-ms/

or this one from the national institue of health nih---that describes on the google page...

a fecal impaction is a large mass of dry hard stool that can develop in the rectum do to chronic constipation. the mass may be so hard that it cannot come out of the body. Watery stool from higher in the bowel may move...(around it)

http://www.google.com/search?q=feCAL...ient=firefox-a

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001277/

or this one describes as a symptom of an impaction....

leakage of liquids or sudden episodes of watery diarehia in some who has had chronic constipation

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000230.htm
    xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Hi sittingalone:
      That's a frustrating problem! I think the first thing to help with both your embarrassment and the logistics aspect is to make sure you're wearing appropriate underwear. As you've found, putting toilet paper in your underwear isn't doing the job, because TP isn't intended to do what you need done. You need an underwear liner or full underwear that's 1) absorbent, 2) leak resistant and 3) disposable. Products that fit those requirements include the full range of feminine hygiene products, urinary incontinence liners made for ladies and men, or full disposable underwear, also made for ladies and men in different sizes. There are a lot of products to choose from, so you'll be able to find something that fits your needs. Depending on what product you choose, you'll find it relatively easy to carry spares when you go out.

Don't hold off on bowel movements, because that causes other problems. Once you're confident that your underwear will keep you secure, you might feel a little less embarrassed.

Comment

Thanks!

Thank both of you!

That is a lot of good information. Some things make a lot more sense now, and controlling it might be a little easier also.

I have a loss of feeling as to when I might need to go, and find I don't go often enough. I should try to get a routine. I see how I could have created a blockage and not known about it. I don't have a problem with constipation, but not going for days could have created a partial blockage.

Thanks so much for helping with this problem. I see my doctor soon and I think I'll ask him about it.

Again, THANKS!

Comment

Not going for days...

Is the very meaning of constipation. If you don't go every day, or at the very least, every other day, that is not healthful. Here are some tips my Neuro gave me.

1. Schedule time EVERY day for a BM, at the same time every day. Your body will learn that "this is the time".

2. Eat more fiber. Fiber keeps you more regular and helps prevent impaction/constipation. If you don't like veggies and fruit, take a fiber supplement. Several divided doses is better than one big dose each day.

3. Drink more water. Water is a requirement to keep your colon moving and to prevent impaction.

4. Take a magnesium supplement with your calcium. Calcium is constipating, and magnesium is actually required for the proper metabolism of the calcium. I kill two birds with one stone by buying a calcium supplement with magnesium included.

Comment

Working...
          X