Augementin - Antibiotic :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Augementin - Antibiotic :-(

Has anyone taken this antibiotic? I just started taking it (sinus infection - but I have no yellow or green mucous) and it is giving me pretty bad diarrhea So far, I have taken a total of (4) - (2) on Saturday and (2) on Sunday - Diarrhea started Saturday.

This morning is pretty bad - have been twice so far within 15 minutes - (TMI) its watery.

I have some Powerade on hand which I will be drinking.. its high in sugar but I need the potassium, minerals, etc.This is the reason why I HATE TAKING MEDS.

Has anyone else experienced this?? I don't think I can make it in to work today...

Ms Jay

Augmentin

Yes I have taken this antibiotic for an infection. Had the runs and an allergic reaction, had hives which were really bad. After I finished taking the medicine it took at least 3 days before the hives disappeared and the antibiotics had cleared our from my system. Needless to say I always advise any Doctor that I am allergic to this and not to prescribe it. It was not a good experience.

Hope you get sorted out soon. If not change the antibiotic

All the best

Min

Comment

Originally posted by futurmil2b View Post
      Diarrhea started Saturday.
      That is pretty common. Antibiotics kill everything, even the good bacteria. You can try using Probiotics which put back the good bacteria. Powerade has electrolites which you need. If the diarrhea continues check with your prescribing doctor.

Information about antibiotics and diarrhea:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ant...SECTION=causes
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Are you taking probiotics? You should always take probiotics during a course of antibiotics. Lots of probiotics!

Your pharmacist should have at least advised you to eat yogurt when you picked up your prescription. Yogurt's good providing it has live cultures and isn't messed up with lots of sugar, fruit, stabilizers, etc.

Probiotics in capsule or liquid form--the refrigerated kind--are even better.

Comment

I am on the probiotics bandwagon. There is a product that is great called acidopholous "pearls", found in health food stores. It is a great probiotic.

When I take antibiotics, I start with probiotics, and eat yogurt as well. This also helps ward off yeast infections. It may be tough to get a handle on this now. You could call your doc and see if he/she wants to switch you to a different antibiotic....

Comment

I would try to switch drugs if it is bothering you that much. Med side effects from antibiotics shouldn't keep you home from work. My recent sinus infection was treated with amoxicillin.

Comment

I had the same problem years ago when I was prescribed Augmentin for a bad sinus infection. Augmentin is the original amoxicillin with clavulanate added. I had taken amoxicillin in the past with no problems, so I speculated it was the added clavulanate; but I have no verification of that.

Trying the probiotics is a good suggestion - either yogurt or pill form. There's also something called Saccharomyces boulardii (brand name Florastor, among others), which is a yeast that may help with the diarrhea.

In my case, I was pretty impatient, and had the doctor switch me to another antibiotic. She switched me to Keflex, which got rid of the sinus infection, without the diarrhea.

Comment

I spoke with the nurse yesterday.. she informed me to stop taking Agumentine..I was going to stop anyway. She spoke with doc and he wants to me try Levaquin.

I read up on this med.. and it sounds WORST THAN AGUMENTIN. The pharmacist said it was. I doubt if I take it. The information states to tell your dr if you have anxiety duh, nerve problems duh, joint problems another duh.. joints ache.

I tell ya... I just have to shake my head at all this. I'd prefer to stick with the Agumentine and take probiotics and eat yogurt.

Does anyone know if diarrhea gets better while taking Agumentine?

There has got to be natural remedies to help fight infection. I will do some research.

Jay

Comment

Sounds like the levaquin is probably overkill, too. Why won't he just try simple amoxycillin ?

I hope you find something that works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by cosake View Post
                    Sounds like the levaquin is probably overkill, too. Why won't he just try simple amoxycillin ?

I hope you find something that works for you.
                    I was thinking the same thing. I often ask for a specific antibiotic that I know I can tolerate. I often get a Z-pack for sinus infections. That is zithromax.

I might call and say, could we try plain amoxycillin, or keflex, or zithromax? If you are more specific about what you are willing to take it might make a difference.

Comment

Yes - the zithromax is good too. Works well, few pills, no side effects.

Comment

Working...
                      X