PREDNISONE - NEED POSITVE ENCOURAGEMENT ASAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PREDNISONE - NEED POSITVE ENCOURAGEMENT ASAP

My ENT doc put me on Predisone due to polyps in nasal cavity. I do have a bit of tightness in my face - I guess from sinus issues.

He put me on 5mg treatment taking over the course of 12 days. First 4 days 6 pills, next four days 4 pills (I think), next 4 days 2 pills...

I have heard horror stories about Predisone and a few positive. I am terrified in taking it. I HATE taking meds.. I have a phobia when it comes to taking meds I am not familiar with and especially when I do a bit of research and see so much negative stuff and horrible side effects.

I heard that you gain weight.. which is not a problem for me because I can stand to gain about 15 pounds - I heard you can't sleep.. I work full time and cannot afford not to get any sleep... I heard you have lots of energy and can't relax.. don't need too much energy - I stay tensed 24/7.

Have stiff/tight muscles from so much tension. Not sure if Predisone will make everything worst... I know this is a relatively low dose after reading some people take 1000 mg..WOW I cannot imagine.

I was dx with "mild" ms in Feb 2011 - not on any DMD and doing pretty good except for being tensed all the time - which causes spasms, etc. I am also going through the "change" 51 years young - which I am already a bit irritable, moody and I heard predisone can cause this as well.

I am having bad anxiety and becoming more tensed just thinking about taking predisone. Dr also put me on Argumentine (sp) - Antibiotic for 21 days - 1 pill every 12 hours. I don't have a big problem taking the antibiotic - I will just make sure I eat plenty of Geek Yogurt.

I need someone to talk to ASAP!!!!! I wish I could get someone to email me but if not, I will check back on MS world for any replies.

Ms. Jay

I have read and heard all the horror stories about Prednisone. I have taken it on many different occasions and had no side effects and felt no different. In fact I wondered how the medication was working if I felt nothing.

Remember what you read are usually worst case scenarios. Rarely do people write about a positive experience. I would not stress over it to much I think you will find it is not that bad.

Good Luck to you and relax it will be fine.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Comment

Have courage

Ms. Jay,

I'm tapering down on oral pred right now; I started with an 80mg burst and now I'm stepping down by 10mg every three days. Today I'm on 30mg, and the few side effects I've had are disappearing.

All the side effects you listed are possible--but you won't know how it will affect you until you take it. Last time I took it two years ago I had NO negative side effects, it was all good and knocked the flare right out. This time it also helped me, but I had mood swings after the initial burst, insomnia, a bitter, metallic taste, etc. No weight gain, no acne, no excess facial hair like I had the very first time on the drug years ago. I just can't know what will happen each time.

It is unpredictable--and your reaction can also vary depending on what other drugs you are taking.

Have courage. The benefits may outweigh the negatives--and you may very well have no negatives!

Kim

Comment

You could be like me and absolutely love how you feel on prednisone. It is the only time I feel as normal as I did prior to MS.

I do have trouble sleeping on it, which usually subsides after a few days. I will take a benedryl at night to help with that if I don't have any prescription sleep aid.

I'll eat a banana each day and make sure I take my magnesium/calcium supplement. Steroids can deplete potassium.

Comment

THANK YOU GUYS SOOOO MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSE. I WAS PRAYING I GOT SOME TYPE OF RESPONSES :-)

Kim how long have you been on Prednisone?

Justsayyes - I thought about that as well.. that I may feel so much better on prednisone. I guess the side effects especially the insomnia, mood swings, high energy sort of scared me. But I have to keep in mind.. I am taking such a low dose.

I eat bananas anyway everyday - sometimes 2 a day. I also have cal/vitamin d3/mag combo supplement - I will make sure I take them.

The only meds I am on are Agumentine- antibiotic and low dose Ativan 1/2 .5mg. ENT doc said it was ok if I continue my Ativan with the Prednisone but I feel I may not need it.

I was also wondering if I stopped the Ativan while on Prednisone will I have a big problem?? Since I have been taken such a small dose, for about 4 months... I'm thinking I may not have a big problem... I hope not anyway. Actually, I am hoping it can get me off Ativan.

I may give it a try tomorrow.. my husb will be off so he can be home with me. My daughter will be going out tonight so I will be home alone that is one reason why I decided to wait until tomorrow.

Jay

Comment

I don't think you should stop the Ativan at this time, you've been on it for 4 months and I believe you need to wean off it more slowly even the low dose you are taking. If you go off now while to start prednisone, you are not going to know what side effects are from what.

Do check with your doc before you go off abruptly.

Comment

Originally posted by Justsayyes View Post
              I don't think you should stop the Ativan at this time, you've been on it for 4 months and I believe you need to wean off it more slowly even the low dose you are taking. If you go off now while to start prednisone, you are not going to know what side effects are from what.

Do check with your doc before you go off abruptly.
              Well some months I skipped 2 weeks, a week, a few days.. it has not been 4 months straight.. I took a few breaks in between.. but I still may just wean off.. maybe take 1/4 instead of 1/2. But If I feel great on the Prednisone.. why would I need Ativan.. but I do know what you mean.

I dunno.. maybe I can take the Ativan at night.. may help me sleep. I will try to wean off while I am taking Prednisone. That's the scary part... taking Ativan and Prednisone.

Ms. Jay

Comment

Jay,

I agree that you shouldn't make any changes with your other meds. When I doubled the dose of Wellbutrin I had started two weeks prior to the steroid, it had a bad interaction with prednisone and I had to wean myself off Wellbutrin soon after. And that was WITH a doctor recommendation! So they don't necessarily know what will happen, either.

Today is day 17 for me on the steroid and I have seven days to go.

Kim

Comment

Hi futurmil2b:
                  Whoa! Take a deep breath and slow down. Steroids need to be respected, but your fear of prednisone is WAY out of proportion to the low dose you'll be taking.

Most of what you've been reading on the forum about steroids is about very large doses to treat neurological flares --- 1000 mg for 3 to 5 days. The side effects from those big doses can be really unpleasant. I've taken the big doses literally dozens of times, so I'm really familiar with what steroids can do. Let me assure you that the "horror stories" didn't come from people taking 30 mg.

You won't be taking 3000 to 5000 mg. You'll be taking 240 mg -- less than one-tenth that dose. And you'll be on a tapering dose for only 12 days.

You might feel a little antsy and have a little trouble sleeping. You might put on a couple of pounds of water weight and feel a little puffy. That's not uncommon, and you'll know it's typical for that to happen and not to freak out if it does. On the other hand, if you have inflammation going on in addition to the nasal polyps, you might even feel better on prednisone.

Even at lower doses, steroids can cause some mood irregularities in people with psychiatric disorders. So it's important that you DO NOT stop taking Ativan while you're taking prednisone. And, considering how fearful you are about the prednisone, it might be a good idea to postpone starting it until after you've consulted with your doctors first -- the doctor who prescribed the Ativan about the possibility of psychiatric effects and what to do about them, and the ENT to decide whether prednisone is still advisable considering how much anxiety even a low dose is causing you.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwings View Post
                    Hi futurmil2b:
                    Whoa! Take a deep breath and slow down. Steroids need to be respected, but your fear of prednisone is WAY out of proportion to the low dose you'll be taking.

Most of what you've been reading on the forum about steroids is about very large doses to treat neurological flares --- 1000 mg for 3 to 5 days. The side effects from those big doses can be really unpleasant. I've taken the big doses literally dozens of times, so I'm really familiar with what steroids can do. Let me assure you that the "horror stories" didn't come from people taking 30 mg.

You won't be taking 3000 to 5000 mg. You'll be taking 240 mg -- less than one-tenth that dose. And you'll be on a tapering dose for only 12 days.

You might feel a little antsy and have a little trouble sleeping. You might put on a couple of pounds of water weight and feel a little puffy. That's not uncommon, and you'll know it's typical for that to happen and not to freak out if it does. On the other hand, if you have inflammation going on in addition to the nasal polyps, you might even feel better on prednisone.

Even at lower doses, steroids can cause some mood irregularities in people with psychiatric disorders. So it's important that you DO NOT stop taking Ativan while you're taking prednisone. And, considering how fearful you are about the prednisone, it might be a good idea to postpone starting it until after you've consulted with your doctors first -- the doctor who prescribed the Ativan about the possibility of psychiatric effects and what to do about them, and the ENT to decide whether prednisone is still advisable considering how much anxiety even a low dose is causing you.
                    Thank you soooo much. My anxiety is not as bad as it was about starting Prednisone. I am going to give it a try tomorrow.. your post made me feel a little better as well as other post and chatting with one of my text buddies who have taken Pred.

I do understand that is such a low dose and I am sure I will be fine. My only thing is I pray I can get some sleep..not concerned at all about gaining weight.. I can use a few extra pounds :-) Also, hope I don't get too jittery. But any hue like you stated.. I need to chill out and keep it moving.

Ms. Jay

Comment

Don't go off the Ativan ... yet. Meds affect each of us differently, and a possible side effect is increased anxiety on the prednisone, although i doubt it. You are being rx'd a small dose, especially compared to the IV steroids. I got steroid psychosis once several years ago from the IV steroids ... but the dose was 1000 mg a day for 5 days. Just happened the one time, thankfully, and drs. knew what it was & put me on temporary psych meds for it.

Antivan has the opposite effect it's supposed to on me ... makes me MORE anxious. We are all different, but no way to know how they will affect you until after the fact. You can develop adverse side effects at any time, even if you've taken a medication for years w/o any problem.

Making choices of what to put into our bodies is hard, you have to weigh the benefits vs. the risks. Hope the oral prednisone helps your condition. Best advice I can give is to know your own body (no one else does) ... and speak up LOUDLY if you are experiencing problems.

Best wishes,
                      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
                        Don't go off the Ativan ... yet. Meds affect each of us differently, and a possible side effect is increased anxiety on the prednisone, although i doubt it. You are being rx'd a small dose, especially compared to the IV steroids. I got steroid psychosis once several years ago from the IV steroids ... but the dose was 1000 mg a day for 5 days. Just happened the one time, thankfully, and drs. knew what it was & put me on temporary psych meds for it.

Antivan has the opposite effect it's supposed to on me ... makes me MORE anxious. We are all different, but no way to know how they will affect you until after the fact. You can develop adverse side effects at any time, even if you've taken a medication for years w/o any problem.

Making choices of what to put into our bodies is hard, you have to weigh the benefits vs. the risks. Hope the oral prednisone helps your condition. Best advice I can give is to know your own body (no one else does) ... and speak up LOUDLY if you are experiencing problems.

Best wishes,
                        I have decided not to take the Prednisone. I have decided to continue with the Ameryst - the steroid spray and pray it helps - it not, I will try Flonase. But I cannot do the Prednisone.

I literally put myself in a tension/anxiety tale spin debating whether or not to take the Prednisone...I figured it will not be good for me to take with tension and anxiety high... just can't do it.

Will call my ENT doc tomorrow. My whole body is aching thanks to the added tension/anxiety. Ativan helped just a wee bit. My gut instinct is telling me NO.. I think I better listen.

Its not like I can try it and get a negative reaction and stop.. No, I have to continue taking it. However, I am taking the antibiotics - which is giving me diarrhea but I will stick with it for a bit. Also eating a little yogurt to put back the good bacteria.

WHEEEEWW what a weekend... just starting to feel just a wee bit better.. I'm sure its the Ativan kicking in after 2 hours.

I appreciate all the replies - as you mentioned nobody knows our bodies better than us.

P.S. Also took ibruprofen (400 mg) today to help with inflammation.

Jay

Comment

Sorry to hear you have such anxiety about meds - I posted on your Copaxone thread earlier. Only you can decide what to put into your body.

I had no big problems with prednisone either. I had the high dose IV steroids with my optic neuritis and only had the sleeping problem as a side effect. No weight gain, mood swings, etc. I tapered with prednisone at smaller doses.

They gave me alprazolam (xanax) to help with sleep and it did the trick. I still use it a few times a week even now to help sleep. I don't like to take alot of meds, either, but I really need my sleep or everything snowballs on me. I only take .25 mg at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by cosake View Post
                            Sorry to hear you have such anxiety about meds - I posted on your Copaxone thread earlier. Only you can decide what to put into your body.

I had no big problems with prednisone either. I had the high dose IV steroids with my optic neuritis and only had the sleeping problem as a side effect. No weight gain, mood swings, etc. I tapered with prednisone at smaller doses.

They gave me alprazolam (xanax) to help with sleep and it did the trick. I still use it a few times a week even now to help sleep. I don't like to take alot of meds, either, but I really need my sleep or everything snowballs on me. I only take .25 mg at a time.
                            The antibiotic is giving me bad diarrhea - not sure if I can continue to take it. Will call my doc today.

Ms. Jay

Comment

Hope you are feeling better soon ! Keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X