Ambien

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ambien

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I am curious if anyone takes ambien and how you react to it. I have been taking it once or twice a week on the nights around my avonex shot for a couple of years with no problems at all. With my recent flare (about a month ago) I have buzzing in the lower half of my body, and I am unable to sleep because of it, so I have been taking ambien (10mg) every night. I take no other prescription meds. I have been feeling really tired and crummy and wondering if I need to quit taking the ambien and see if longer term everyday use is what is causing me to feel like this. Anybody have a similar experience?

I only ever took Ambien when I was on steroids during a relapse. I took it for about four days to help me sleep and I had no issues. On day five I decided not to take one since I was pretty sleepy after an exhausting day. I ended up having the worst night terror of my life. I'm hoping in the future I won't need to take it again.

Comment

I go thru spells that I can't sleep without it...and spells where I don't need them at all.

The thing that hurts me most is if I go without sleep.
      I am not sure if it is a side effect of the drug or the side effect of sleep loss???

I have been taking it on and off for about ten years.
      Everybody seems to react in different ways to it?

My sister inlaw has gone on wacky "online shopping" sprees while on Ambien and not remembered it untill the stuff started to arrive.
      It is a funny story but I am sure it was not funny to deal with or pay for?

Other people I know have taken it for years straight.???

An attitude of less is better is probably best? Going sleepless is not going to help you feel better?

Is there something else that works? Sometimes it helps to always switch up what you take?

Not sleeping well is the pitts.

Comment

I take it everynight and my only problem with it is it only lasts 4 hours. I'm awake at 3:00 am every am.
        Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

Keeping in mind that side effects can be different, I have taken 5 mg. ambien for several months at bedtime. It works nicely to improve my quality of sleep. I wake up more refreshed and take less fatigue meds.

Went off three weeks ago, the first night was a bit restless with some bad dreams. Second night no problem and so on.
          I am sleeping longer without Ambien and feeling worse.

Off to the doc today to discuss my "insomnia". He wants me to try Trazodone which is "safer".

Anyways.....wanted to tell you I have taken Ambien long-term with no problems, but I am taking a lower dose only 5 mg. 10 mg. is a standard dose and not associated with many problems according to studies.

I'd love to continue it, but doc won't let me.

Comment

Trazadone

I was diagnosed with MS in Aug 2010 and took Ambien for a few months to help me sleep. I would only sleep for about three hours. The doctor switched me to trazadone. I take half a pill, sometimes 1/4 of a pill every night. It works like a charm. I get 7 hours of sleep now most nights. I recommend you try it. It helped me tremendously!

Comment

Thanks Campingirl, I appreciate your input on Trazodone.
              I'm a bit afraid to try it because of reports on the net about rebound insomnia occuring even after only a few weeks on it. The other side effect of urinary retention is very concerning to me. I already have retention and any further retention is going to be a real problem.

I think I might be better off just being tired than this merry go round with medications and their potential side effects.

Comment

Justsayyes, I think you are right. The less meds, the better. My doc prescribed me Amantadine for fatigue and today will be the first day that I've ever tried anything for fatigue. Trazodone gives me plenty of sleep and I wake up refreshed but at about 1pm, the fatigue starts to kick in pretty hard. I decided to give a fatigue med. a try but wish I didn't need to.

Comment

I take Ambien once or twice a week (5mg), and have been doing so for several years. I am a natural born insomniac, so I need to get a good night's sleep once in a while.

I like Ambien because, as long as I ensure that I have 7-8 hours to sleep, I don't feel groggy in the morning. I also don't have trouble waking up when it's time.

So far, I haven't had any issues with it. The doctor who originally prescribed it for me felt that taking it once or twice a week to get in some good night's rest was better than not getting the rest.

Comment

Campingirl I replied to your thread on Amantadine. I was scared to try it at first, but treating my fatigue is the only way to get thru a productive day!

Are you supposed to take your Trazodone long term or as needed? My doc was so concerned about my long term use of Ambien, but seemed to be OK with long term use of Trazodone if I needed it.

Comment

Justsayyes,
                      The Trazodone is supposed to be short term. I take it every night. Originally I used it to get through a flare up. I've always had trouble sleeping, but after my MS diagnosis I felt like sleep is the most important thing for me so resorted to sleep meds. I think Trazodone is fairly safe to take on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Justsayyes View Post
                        Keeping in mind that side effects can be different, I have taken 5 mg. ambien for several months at bedtime. It works nicely to improve my quality of sleep. I wake up more refreshed and take less fatigue meds.

Went off three weeks ago, the first night was a bit restless with some bad dreams. Second night no problem and so on.
                        I am sleeping longer without Ambien and feeling worse.

Off to the doc today to discuss my "insomnia". He wants me to try Trazodone which is "safer".

Anyways.....wanted to tell you I have taken Ambien long-term with no problems, but I am taking a lower dose only 5 mg. 10 mg. is a standard dose and not associated with many problems according to studies.

I'd love to continue it, but doc won't let me.
                        This is EXACTLY what happened to me. My doc started me on 10mg and I woke up feeling like crap the next day. Really groggy, couldn't stand, felt like I was drunk. NP said I had an Ambien high, reduced Rx to 5mg, and I sleep a solid 7-8 hours every night.

Comment

I have been taking Ambien 10mg for a couple of years now. Some nights I get a full nights sleep and then of course there are nights when I wake up after only a few hours. I am thinking of trying something new. I go back to see the dr in a few weeks.
                          Dx with RRMS :April 2007
                          Meds: Copaxone

Comment

hello, i take 6.25mg Ambein. BUT i only take it if i need to.i don't take it every nite.sometimes i take OTC sleep meds.mark
                            DX's,MS,1/8/04
                            copaxone

Comment

Working...
                            X