Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when do you take steroids??

hi,

so I was wondering does everyone take steriods each time you have a flare up?

I have them alot yet never take them, or even though of taking them. I just ride it out. I was just wondering is it important to take the steriods does it slow down the attack in our brains and lead to less brain damage??

sorry soo new at all of this even still lol
    Jen Dx'd 5/11
    "Live each day as if it were your last"

Steroids don't slow down the attack - they reduce the inflammation quicker. Generally, if I've been prescribed steroids, I take them. THe docs prescribe them for a reason, although sometimes I wish the doc would prescribe them when she hasn't.
    Diagnosis: May, 2008
    Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Hi Sunshine,

It's great you are asking questions.
      Do you have a DR that is knowledgeable about MS?

For myself, finding a great doc and support group helped me understand a bit more about this disease.

My DR told me long ago that steroids calm down the flare, helping me feel more comfortable (tingly/numb only for 5 days instead of 4 weeks), plus it helps reduce damage to the myelin.
      Not everyone agrees with this thinking, but for me, steroids have saved me from damage I'd otherwise have, I believe. The steroids seem to give my body a chance to stop and recover from the myelin attacks.
      There are side effects with steroid treatments, but they can be dealt with, IMO and are worth the temporary inconvenience.
      Some people respond better than others to treatment so having a good DR who understands the disease pattern in you is very important.

This site helps explain:
      http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/steroidtreatments.html

Hope that helps some. Keep asking questions and never give up fighting against this disease!

Comment

No, steroids have no effect on the final outcome of a flare or the ultimate outcome of MS. Steroids have been shown to shorten the duration of a flare, which is important if the effects of the flare are significant, e.g., severe pain, loss of motor function, serious loss of vision. But they don't slow down the disease.

There's gray area here and incomplete agreement among doctors of when to use steroids in that gray area. Some docs won't prescribe steroids at all for mild to moderate sensory deficits. Some docs prescribe some small amount of oral prednisone just to keep the patient happy, even though the benefit is as minimal as the dose. With that motivation, some docs will prescribe all kinds of high and low doses of steroids as if they're handing out candy, disregarding the downside of steroids. Others are pretty stingy with steroids, recognizing the harm that steroids can cause.

In MS, there isn't agreement about whether actual physical damage is prevented by use of steroids. For general MS effects, research says no, but some patients and docs feel otherwise. Unless there's something major going on -- like intolerable pain, paralyzing transverse myelitis and/or impaired breathing -- it isn't "important" to take steroids. They can be tremendously helpful in shortening the duration of a flare with widespread, even debilitating, effects, but research indicates that the final outcome is the same as if steroids weren't used.

Not every flare needs to be treated with steroids. And because of the harmful effects of steroids, they shouldn't be used just for comfort or convenience instead of toughing it out with a mild flare.

Comment

I just finished a five-day course of prednisone, and now feeling sick as a dog. Aching all over, joint pain, swollen feet, the whole works. Any suggestions to help?

Thanks,

Hawk
          Proud Mom of three kids!
          dx'd 1996

Comment

I had an anaphylactic response the first time I took steroids, so I've never taken them again. I just ride out the flare.

Comment

There are side effects with steroid treatments, but they can be dealt with, IMO and are worth the temporary inconvenience.
              Some side effects are more than an inconvenience and can cause permanent harm. I have taken steriods in the past for times when a flare stopped me from being able to walk. If I'd been aware at the time of the effect they can have on your bones, I would seriously have considered not taking them so many times.

As it is, I'm faced with needing drugs to deal with the osteoporosis I now have.

Comment

I haven't taken them -

and I have a MS Neuro who will only RX them for relapses that are severe. --like loss of ability to walk, or use of arm -

And he never gives oral steroids either, at least to me. I found out this before my DX, ~ a course or oral steroids seem to make my SX come back--> on rebound even worse~.

BUT I think here it's individual, and everyone has different needs.
                AND not all MD's are the same either as previously posted too.
                T-tk (dx RR 10/08 Copax.2008)
                Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way.

Comment

Working...
                X