Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DREADING A THROAT SCOPE

I have appt. on Tues. and scared.
    My "gag reflex" is so bad i'm afraid of making a fool of myself while they put a tube down my throat. sometimes i cannot swallow, sometimes what i swallow hangs up in my throat.
    Anyone have some words of wisdom for me? Please?
    Lord put your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Amen

Tooliejane,

They will sedate you (you'll be put under for the procedure) ... we all have the gag reflex, especially when they are sticking a tube down your throat. I think the only time they don't sedate you first is when it's a life/ death emergency and they have to get a breathing tube down your throat ASAP. You should be just fine. Hope I helped calm your anxieties.

Best wishes and hope there is nothing wrong.
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Are they going thru your mouth or your nose, they did mine by putting the probe up my nose and eventually to my throat, they did numb it some with a spray first, not painful just uncomfortable, have had it done 4 or 5 times now.
      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

EGD Procedure

Last year my gastroenterologist had me undergo an EGD procedure (google it for more info). Like you, I was not thrilled with having a tube put down my throat. The procedure was done in an outpatient surgical center under anesthesia. I was completely unaware that an endoscope was put down my throat. When I woke up the scope was gone and I was left with a few pictures of the inside of my esophagus. It was a pretty benign procedure.

Comment

tooliejane,

What they will do depends on the type of scope (rigid or flexible) being used. If it is being done under anesthesia, you are told you must bring someone else to drive you home afterward.

You can read more info here: Yhttp://www.webmd.com/oral-health/laryngoscop or google throat scope.

Ask about the procedure and tell the nurses AND dr. about your concerns and why before anything is begun. You should never feel like can't/ shouldn't voice your concerns or that they don't matter. The gag reflex is expected, so they will numb you up like Scooter said if that is the route of your procedure. The drs. are usually good about making sure you are comfortable and doing ok. The numbing sprays they use now are simple, fast, & quite effective.

Hope all goes well!

Best wishes,
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Don't worry

I've had the throat scope and it was no big deal. They give you I.V. sedation and you do not feel anything. In my case I was alert and feeling no pain. So relax...

Good Luck,

Diane
            You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Working...
            X