Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for Cane Needed asap

Hi all -

I'm having my 2nd ever flare and it's given me right-side weakness. My PCP just about slapped me for not using a cane.

So, I need a few tips in deciding what to get. The one I am looking at is an adjustable foldable cane with a flat type of a handle.

There are others with what is called an offset handle, and others with the standard rounded, hook-type of handle.

What is the difference in how the offset one or others work ? How do I know what kind to get ?

Thank you for your help !

try them out

I had both my mother's aluminum cane and my father's wooden cane. Hers had a flat handle, and his the typical hook. Hers was adjustable for height, and his is not, but I am the right height for his.

I prefer the wooden cane with the curved hook, which I can put over my arm when I have to shake hands (I use the cane in my right hand to support my left sided weakness). And I feel he is always with me when I'm using his cane.

Buying on the internet would deny you the chance to try them out for comfort. Go to a drug store or medical supply, or ask your doctor if he can arrange for a few samples to try out.
    First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
    Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

My PT suggested a fitted type handle which gave me better balance. I was told to ask for one used for arthritic hands. I used that type for years.
      Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

canes to walker to wheelchair

I am not an expert, but just want to share what I've worked with, and I am certainly not an expert. Since I don't have money, I started with a wood cane $20 with a round top. I realized my hand was really getting sore, and saw a straight metal cane with a cushioned handle. I love the cushioned handle. Then I saw a metal cane that can stand on it's own and has a cushioned handle. I found it for $20 at a discount store. I really wanted one for a while, but would not pay $100 for one. It is really nice, because whenever I want to shake someone's hand, or want to sitdown, I don't have to worry about my cane falling down, because it stands up. But don't pay a high price for it. Search internet or your local store. You can find one for $20. URL[http://www.canesgalore.com/walking-c...-c-8_120.html] These are the type of cane I am describing.

Then I went to a walker with a seat, and that really helped me, because then when I was somewhere with no seats, I didn't have to worry, because I had a seat with me. That really helped me having a walker with a seat. Now I use a manual wheelchair, and realize that getting upper body exercise turning the wheels has helped me a lot more than walking with a walker. I worried that I wouldn't be able to turn the wheels and move by myself, but I bought one on craigslist for $80, and it is a little to narrow for me, but that actually makes it easier for me to move the wheels. And now I found a manual chair online that has removeable armrests. That is really nice, and it was only priced at $120.

I didn't want to go through medical insurance, because I read that they only pay for one every five years. And at the rate I'm progressing, I know I'll need a deluxe electric one before five years. A nice thing about the manual for me, is that since I have two, I can keep one in the garage for outdoor and "to go" use. And the other one I can keep in the house, and never take it outside. I'm just too particular, but I don't want to go through "mercury," and then bring it back into the house. See, I'm too particular, I have never worn my shoes in the house either. Again, I am not an expert, but it was very smart of you to ask about canes, because it does make a huge difference in our lives, and I'm sure someone else will give you some very helpful advice.

**post edited by Moderator to break into paragraphs for easier reading! many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print**

Comment

Thank you everyone for the replies. I did order online, but it is free shipping and free to return if it doesn't work out.

I am currently have right-side weakness, so the cane will be on my left.

I will give it a try and return it if it doesn't work well. I am feeling some improvement today, so hopefully I won't need it for long this time around.

Thank You !

Comment

The rounded handle known as a Shepard's Crook is the least comfortable type. The offset, flat handle that is usually padded is much better. My favorite for comfort is the Fischer Handle that is shaped for your hand, they are side specific. The entire palm is used on the cane reducing stress to your hand when walking. The Quad Cane is the best if your balance is very bad and it can stand on it's own when you sit down.
            Bill
            Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Thanks, Bill. I ended up ordering one with a flat type of handle to try out. I'm starting to feel better so this flare shouldn't last too much longer.

Don't need a footed cane yet because my balance is not quite that bad during this flare. What the future holds, though, no one knows !

Comment

My every day outside cane is a metal one with a flat handle. I have a mini-carabiner, like used for keys, on the handle to attach it to shopping carts, that way it can't fall off. When I travel I use a folding cane, fits in the pocket in front of my seat.
                Bill
                Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

The one I got also folds ! Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by cosake View Post
                    Hi all -

I'm having my 2nd ever flare and it's given me right-side weakness. My PCP just about slapped me for not using a cane.

So, I need a few tips in deciding what to get. The one I am looking at is an adjustable foldable cane with a flat type of a handle.

There are others with what is called an offset handle, and others with the standard rounded, hook-type of handle.

What is the difference in how the offset one or others work ? How do I know what kind to get ?

Thank you for your help !
                    Your PCP should have slapped him/her SELF, for not referring you to a P.T. to get measured and to 'learn' to properly use a cane.
                    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Fishhead - My PCP DID refer me for OT and PT, but the local facility that I use couldn't get me in for 1 and 1/2 weeks. I will be learning how to use my cane and adjust the height properly at this week's appointment.

My PCP did explain to me how I should use the cane for the type of issue I'm having, but it's not the same as "seeing it" in action or having someone watch me use to be sure it is done properly.

To be fair, my PCP was being humorous about the slap -- I have been her patient for 20 years and think she is awesome !

Comment

crutches

i use canadian crutches, they give you more support and less pain on the hands. You can use one or both. For me I think they are great. My cane caused more pain in my hand and causes you to lean over more, then that causes you to have pain in your back. The crutches help you to stand upright.

Good Luck
                        Linda

Comment

Thank you for the tip, Linda.

At this point, the cane is only temporary when I have a flare; and the weakness isn't too bad.

I think if I had a more severe issue or something that was permanent, I would consider something other than the cane.

Comment

Cane Info

Until you get in to your PT, you can go to the site www.fashionablecanes.com and they have info on how to use a can. Check the tabs at the top of their website.
                            My Cross To Bear Keeps Fallin Off

Comment

WALKING STAFF

HI I HOPE THIS HELPS..

I USE A WALKING STAFF RATHER THAN A CANE.. I FOUND IT AT A FLY FISHING SHOP HERE IN MY TOWN. I HAVE FOUND THAT IT IS USEFUL FOR MANY THINGS :-)

ITS TALL ENUF FOR RESTING ON (CAN PUT UNDER MY ARM AND USE AS A "KICKSTAND") AND LONG ENUF TO PUSH THINGS OUT OF MY WAY.

STURDY AND, WELL FASHIONABLE TOO!

AND MAKES FOR A NICE SELF DEFENSE TOOL.

ITS CALLED A "RIVER STALKER WADING STAFF"... WHO KNEW THAT FLY FISHERMAN NEEDED HELP... LOL!

BTW IT FLOATS TOO!

OMZONE

Comment

Working...
                              X