Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of you have had MONO?

Hi everyone!!

I would like to know how many of you have ever had Mononucleosis?

BTW, I had an extremely severe case of Mono as a teenager.

Thanks!
    Kim in SC
    First known flare 1/25/07, although I can trace the earliest symptoms back 20+yrs. Official diagnosis 8/09. I should have been diagnosed earlier but just because you are a Neurologist, it doesn't mean you know MS! Cannot tolerate interferons, on Copaxone since 3/10.Looking into possible StemCell w/Dr Burt, NW Univ Hosp in Chicago.

I did, when I was 18. I am 43 now, in limbo after first bout w ON last month.

Comment

I had a bad case of Mono

Just a few years prior to the onset of MS I had a bad case of
      Mono and was off work for two months. I was so weak I could hardly get off my bed. Generally they say the cause of
      MS is unknown but there is a theory that part of it is from a hereditary defective gene that gets activated only when a person gets something like Mono or some other virus. I do know that there was a thread on MS World back in 2007 asking about who has had Mono. It was a very long thread as I recall it had dozens of posts by people who had had mono and most believed it was in someway connected with them getting MS later. Still, I think the medical community will give the answer "The cause of MS is unknown".
      Personally, I believe there is a connection because I've never been the same since I got Mono and I went down hill from there. Often it takes years to get a diagnosis of MS. I could have been going into MS a few years before I was diagnosed. There were MS symptoms preceding what my neuro regarded as the actual onset which came on like an explosion.
      Surfer Ed
      Show 'em who's got guts. Don't back down - Brian Wilson
      ******Surfer ED******

Comment

I did about a year and a half ago, a full year before i was diagnosed with MS
        "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power
        is made perfect in weakness." -2 Cor. 12:9

dx 11.23.10 RRMS

Comment

I was hospitalized for weeks, thanks to a bad case of Mono at age 6.
          Unrecognized Sx since mid-90s, became ill in 2003, diagnosed in 2005 at age 31.
          On Copaxone since diagnosis, considering a switch to Tysabri or Gilenya.

Comment

I had a severe case when I was 18 years old.
            "Dogs are not our whole life but they make our lives whole."

Comment

Lots of folks have had mono and didn't even realize it, many times it presents as just another virus.

This article gives some statistics...95% of the US population and 98% of world population has had mono.

http://www.tarunaoils.com/articles/m...statistics.asp

Comment

Nope, no mono here.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

I did in my 30's.
                  Sue
                  Previous Meds: Avonex, Copaxone
                  Beta Babe: January 2007

Comment

I also had a bad case of mono as a teenager.
                    Oldschool54&Service Dog Baila

Comment

I never did but almost my entire high school class did.

I never heard it as a cause for MS but have been told by my nuero that it is thought that if you had it or were exposed to it that it would cause you to test positive for JCV virus antibody which I have.
                      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I had it and never knew

Hello,
                        I recently discovered that at one point I have had Mono. My bloodwork indicated a prior infection. I remember about 8 years ago having what I thought was a really bad "flu" although it was never diagnosed. I was in a car accident on the way to see the doctor so I am thinking now that must have been when I had mono.

I think it is weird that so many MS'ers have had so many common threads (mono, B12, D3) Maybe one day they will figure it out.

Comment

I had a very boring, normal case of mono that I recovered from exceptionally quickly when I was 16. I was diagnosed with MS at 34, with my first known flare (in hindsight) at 33.

The doc I saw for mono all those years ago told me that almost everyone has had the virus. In some people it presents as the mono we know in love, and in most people it's more of a terrible cold. All the same, pretty much everyone has had the virus, as rdmc said above.

Comment

2X

I've had mono twice. Once when I was 14 and the other when I was 17. The second bout had me in the hospital for 3 days on steroids. I vaguely remember them discussing whether to trach me or not. I never went back to school and barely graduated...

Comment

Case of Mononucleosis

I had a relatively mild case of mono when I was 16. I was really only sick for about 2 weeks. I was diagnosed with RRMS about 30 years later.

Comment

Working...
                              X