anyone's thought on this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone's thought on this?

Does anyone know whether the HCG diet is safe to do when your on MS therapy medication, medication for depression, bladder, cholesterol, and ampyra?

Originally posted by balance View Post
    Does anyone know whether the HCG diet is safe to do when your on MS therapy medication, medication for depression, bladder, cholesterol, and ampyra?
    There's some question whether the HCG diet is safe for anyone to do, let alone people on MS meds.

Of course, the regimen isn't without risks. The hormone is known to cause headaches, blood clots, leg cramps, temporary hair thinning, constipation, and breast tenderness. The FDA has received at least one recent report of an HCG dieter developing a pulmonary embolism, a potentially fatal blood clot in the lung, says agency spokesperson Shelly Burgess. Yet, the hormone's full risk profile is unknown.

Full article:

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...-risk?PageNr=1

This is just one of many articles I found questioning both the safety and the effectiveness of the diet.

It'll be interesting to see what Tara's take on this is.

Comment

I have 4-friends that started this diet and (taking hormones) it sounds bad. I wanted to research it, but did not take the time. thanks for the info.
      Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

I don't post as often but felt I should here.

The protocol calls for 500 calories a DAY! That is it. I would not recommend 500 calories a day to anyone. My DBF went on it and we ended up modifiying it tremendously. 500 calories a day is just not enough for anyone and when he went off it, he just gained some of the weight back. It is really not a healthy way to lose weight. I think there are other healthier options to losing weight.

In regards to MS and the HCG diet, it would just increase my weakness. Our bodies work harder than most in order to accomplish everyday tasks and we need those calories. I personally don't want to do anything to increase my weakness.

Comment

I agree, tkrik. Everything I've heard or read about diets has always said that 900-1000 calories a day is the absolute minimum for most people. Otherwise your body won't get the nutrients it needs.
          MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10.

Comment

I spoke to my endocrinologist about this very thing for my brother is doing it (with success I might add). My dr. said the part that actually is working is the very low calorie count these folks are on. My brother does 500 calories a day for a couple of weeks then switches to a different eating plan...and back and forth. My doctor said it's a hormone they use to treat male infertility!!! or something like that. Also, he said anyone would lose lots of weight eating only 500 calories a day. Me? I'll stick to Weight Watchers...normal eating and successful weight loss (took me 3 tries over ten years but lost 85lbs! )
            Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

Working...
            X