Frequent UTI/monthy antibotic ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frequent UTI/monthy antibotic ?

Have seen posts on this previously but unable to locate via search.

I have had UTI's and was treated successfully with a day course of Macrobid. My symptoms were mainly urine frequency (which I have without a UTI) and an odor which is usually the telling sign.

In the past few years have had 2-4 a year and recently had one 2 weeks ago with a very chemical type order - was treated with Macrobid and all was good.

I now think I could potentially be getting another (not positive yet) and it was only 2 weeks ago.

The only difference in my medications is that I had a baclofen pump implanted 3 months ago. Not sure if that can make a difference.

I have heard of a 'program' type approach where Macrobid is taken in small doses monthly to help combat the frequency of UTI's. Which the nurse practitioner mentioned to me may be a good option for me.

If anyone is doing this can you tell me how often you take, whether Macrobid or another antibotic ? How has it worked for you ? Any cons/risks ? Does the doctor prescribe each time of give you a written script for the year ?

Thanks much.

Correction -

I have had UTI's and was treated successfully with a 7 day course of Macrobid.

Comment

I take a low dosage of Macrobid DAILY to combat the UTIs that I've battled since I was a child.

I also take probiotic capsules to ward off any secondary infections that could arise from taking an antibiotic on a consistent basis. So far, so good!
      “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
      Diagnosed 1979

Comment

UTI's and Macrobid

I have had UTI's off and on for 6 months..or I think I have. My GP initially did the testing and yes my urine was positive for e-Coli bacteria. Given Macrobid, ultrasound of kidneys and bladder. Then sent to a Urologist. Went through the usual testing which is degrading but had to be done. Infection back, Uro. wanted me to do a 7 day IV of Gentamicin. Read the side affects and scared me to death so had GP do a urine test..guess what...NO INFECTION and no treatment. Felt as if I was getting another UTI so gave a urine specimen at Uro. Test was positive and he finally gave me an RX for Macrobid. Didnt take it until I got yet another test with my GP. Again, no infection. Sorry this is so long but dont understand why its positive at Urologist, have always used same Lab but yet always negative when GP orders the test. Can anyone give me some guidance on what I should do NOW?

Comment

GayGay, if your GP is doing a dipstick-type test in the ofc I am told they frequently have false positives. The test the uro does is sent off to a lab for a more in-depth work-up.

Personally, I would believe the uro over the GP on this test.
          DX 10/2008
          Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
          Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
          Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

yea for UTI's--not

I have taken a low dose macrobid everyday for more than 2 years. I still get them but not as frequent. I always get them when my husband thinks he needs a piece of me--ha. So Giraffe you have had the pump for 3 months? I am seeing a neurosurgeon on May 27th to talk about it. I walk so stiff and no meds work. Are you glad you did it? What were your problems and has the pump improved the quality of life? Does it hurt? I have such anxiety about it but this is my last option. Do you live in the US? If so maybe I could call you and talk to you about it if that would be ok?

Comment

Ended up my culture did come back positive the second time - not sure if the infection came back or never went away with the first 7 day dose of macrobid. My doctor gave me a 10 day dose of macrobid as the culture showed that was the correct antibiotic from the bacteria that came back from the culture.

Four days after I finished the antibiotic he had me provide another sample to test and ensure the infection was gone. It came back negative and all has been good so far for the past month.

I am making sure to drink alot of fluids, taking more cranberry supplements, drinking juice with plenty of vitamin C and eating a yogurt a day. I'm hoping this will help prevent further UTIs. My doctor did not make me take macrobid on any regular basis as I think he felt it may make me immune later (i think).

Teddy,
              Yes; I am very happy I got the bump and was nervous about it also. It does not hurt, I don't even realize it is there and it relieved the extreme pain I was in from severe spasticity, spasms and contractures that stopped me from walking close to 2 years ago. I have the pediatric pump due to my size, I have to get it refilled more often which is not a big deal. Having a good neurosurgeon is key - I loved mine, he is great - I think that can make a big difference.

There are many posts you can search on to get more info - one is
              http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=106278

I am happy to any any questions or talk (yes I am in the US, east coast) PM me if you'd like.

Comment

Working...
              X