Will I ever feel normal again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will I ever feel normal again?

I was diagnosed on February 4, 2011 after an episode in December 2010. I returned to work in March after an eleven week stint of short term diability. I also started taking Rebif in March about a week before I returned to work.

My question is, Will I ever have any days where I feel normal again?

MS seems to be almost constantly on my mind. But that may be because the symptoms are always present. I never regained full sensation back in my left hand. It had gotten to the point where I couldn't write or even hold anything in it. Now, the function has returned to about 95% of the way it was before my episode. But the tingling and numbness has never disappeared. I also have tingling in my left jaw. Sometimes my left arm feels like it has 100 pound weights hanging from it. I also have experienced a feeling as if gravity is pulling me down, whether I am sitting or walking. The electric shock or pinching feeling is happening in my upper back now. My nerves seem to be fluttering in my legs and my left shoulder blade.

I can't tell if this medicine is working yet. But it has only been a month now. I just want to feel like I did a few short months ago. I know this thing is not going away. But does it have to be such a constant in my life? I don't which is harder --> fighting depression or fighting MS.

Medea74, you are going to have up days, and down days. MS is "bipolar"! This disease is so crazy for all of us, including the Doctors! There are the "typical" symptoms, some "occasional" symptoms, some may go away for a time, you may get new ones, you may go through periods of denial, anger, grief, and then you will come here. You will discover that you aren't alone, that someone here will have some of the same symptoms, you'll find out other things you are/were experiencing are actually symptoms (not your imagination). You may even have some days that MS is the furthest thing from your thoughts!

Each day is an adventure with MS. Hopefully the Rebif will help slow down MS. What medications are you on for the symptoms? They say MS is incurable, but the symptoms can be treated, with medicine. If you don't want to take medications, some people use vitamins, or other supplements, others use meditation, you are in charge of how you want to handle the symptoms.

Most important, when you really need it, you can come here and kind of get a group hug.....

Hugs to you.
    MS, it's a brain thang!
    Proud to have served, U.S Army WAC

Comment

It all depends what you concider normal.
      If I can get out of bed & make it to the kitchen for my coffee.Woo Hoo ! my day is normal. For 2 days this week I couldn't do that had to ask my DD to bring my coffee into my room. We all have good & bad.
      God Bless Nona Judy, DX in 2000,w/RRMS. ON Rebif.
      Keep us posted.

Comment

Which Normal? the normal you had before ms?

When diagnosed the doc told me "you have ms. you no longer have a "normal", instead you will have a "baseline", you will have a series of baselines and each succeeding baseline will be less than the previous baseline"

so the answer to your question is no, you will not return to what you thought was normal. i assume your not in great shape now, causing you to ask the question--hopefully you will get better up to your new baseline. and that will become you're new "normal".
        xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

It all is a bit overwhelming. Sorry you aren't feeling well.

It took me months to feel better after my first attack in 2004. The healing was slower and "different" than anything I had faced before. Before I felt invincible and was quite impatient about all things. I faced challenges, simply overcame them and went on. Nothing before had forced me to wait against my will.

After I healed I did and certainly do have "normal" days. I do the same as every 40-something person around me. Sometimes I may feel a bit dizzy, but I perform very well.

The normal for me is not as "invincible" as I was before, but all in all again I am very very functional and conduct myself in work, home, etc. as well as before.

That is me and my story, of course the journey varies for every person. We all get a ticket for a ride that never ends, but get placed (want it or not) on different trains. My train has been a mild disease one. I hope I can stay on it forever.
          Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Your new "normal" is going to change all the time, and you will adjust. I've become amazed at what one can get used to. With numb fingers, difficulty standing, cognitive problems and crippling fatigue, I make custom make quilts that sell for over $3000.

You will adjust and accept your new normal. It's not like we have any choice!

Comment

Normal will be different than it used to be. Your story sounds really familiar. I started to keep a journal when I was diagnosed and took a leave from work. I wrote in my journal "will there ever be days when the word Multiple Sclerosis doesn't cross my mind every minute." -Thankfully, yes I now have days where I can drive in my car turn the music up and just feel happy again. You'll have those days again too. Unfortunately it takes some time.

Comment

Being Normal is highly over rated, I find Normal people to be boring, and simply do not appreciate life and all its marvels.

I was diagnosed in the fall of 2002 and I know for a fact that quality of life can return.
                In 15 days it will be the one year anniversary of started Ampyra and starting on the path to getting my life back.
                I fixed my diet, had a sinus issue fixed, started exercising, generally speaking I started being proactive about my health.

Physically speaking I’m most of the way back to normal; my only big issue is heat sensitivity.

Mentally and spiritually speaking I'm fantastic, and I pity the fools that are merely normal.
                Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I'm realizing that I already knew I would never feel "normal" again. I'm also accepting the fact that I am in some serious denial. I admit I have not fully come to terms with this diagnosis. I guess that would probably be my first step towards my new "normal".

Comment

NORMAL?

Da daffynition by Gomer

Normal is where a line or lines are drawn, and everything beyond is ABnormal.

The PROBLEM is not with the word NORMAL, the problem is WHO is drawing the line or lines.

My normal?,
                    ..........your normal?,
                    ...................someone else's normal?

Yesterday's NORMAL is yesterday's normal, maybe not today's normal or tomorrow's normal.

Gomer Dr. of, Been There, Done That

Comment

Working...
                    X