Clear All

What's the connection??

I keep reading patients with MS also have:
    Low B12
    Low Vit D
    IBS
    severe migraines
    seizures

I have all of the above.....is there a connection to MS with all of these?
    DX: RRMS Jan 2010 -- LDN: Mar 2010-Dec 2010, Tysabri: Feb 2011 reaction, Gilenya: Aug 2011 reaction, Copaxone: Oct 2011 reaction, Tecfidera: May 2013 reaction

Originally posted by daisy.girl View Post
    Low B12
    Low Vit D
    IBS
    severe migraines
    seizures

well for some people mabey. I don't have low b12 or vit D. I don't have IBS. i do however have severe migraines - but I will never really probably get the chance to know about the seizures b/c the med for my migraines is topomax - an antiseizure med. Most patients with MS are also anemic, come from a temperate climate, and had epstein-barr virus. I have not had epstien barr - but an anemic and live in new england
    Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
    ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

yes, there is. Now, don't ask me why...they don't know crap about this thing yet.
      dx 7/2002 - on Rebif since dx...just changed to Copaxone 1/2011

"There is a difference between acceptance and approval"

Comment

I've read that there may be a possible connection with gluten sensitivity. But who knows! I have read that some people with MS see a dramatic improvement in symptoms when they go on a gluten-free diet. But again, who knows!
        Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Daisygirl-- You HAVE to check out my posts under "high calcium" and "MS Fatigue Causes". Everything you mentioned except the seizures is explained.

Comment

What is the name of the book?
            DX: RRMS Jan 2010 -- LDN: Mar 2010-Dec 2010, Tysabri: Feb 2011 reaction, Gilenya: Aug 2011 reaction, Copaxone: Oct 2011 reaction, Tecfidera: May 2013 reaction

Comment

Autoimmune The Cause And The Cure . It is on the Nature Had It First website. There is a full money back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied. Just email the authors if you have questions. I can't wait for a few more people to read it on here. I am trying to contain my enthusiasm.

Comment

I have seen several references to the epstein barr virus (EBV) and researched it cuase I didn't know what it was. I am wondering when people refer to it here or in other articles are you/they refering to mono? Cuase if it is simply the EBV, I wouldn't put to much weight to any connection to MS becuase 95% of the [B]WORLDS[B] has been infected with the EBV at some point in their life. EBV normaly is a minor infection virus but in more severe cases cuases mono.
                COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH- BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY ~JOHN WAYNE~

Comment

Originally posted by Greg View Post
                  I have seen several references to the epstein barr virus (EBV) and researched it cuase I didn't know what it was. I am wondering when people refer to it here or in other articles are you/they refering to mono? Cuase if it is simply the EBV, I wouldn't put to much weight to any connection to MS becuase 95% of the [B]WORLDS[B] has been infected with the EBV at some point in their life. EBV normaly is a minor infection virus but in more severe cases cuases mono.
                  Yes, but not everyone has had exposure enough to have the titers in their blood. I was just reading a medical journal for a presentation I am supposed to do tomorrow () and certainly not everyone has been exposed to EBV and definately not all MS patients.
                  ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

Well I don't have any of those symptoms...I did have low D, but lots of people have low D...not just those with MS. My D levels were corrected but I never noticed any difference in my MS symptoms once they were corrected.

Comment

I also am anemic, and positive for EBV (high titers).

Comment

Low B12
                        Low Vit D
                        IBS
                        severe migraines
                        seizures
                        I don't have any of the issues listed above. Lately it appears I am reading alot of generalizations about people with MS.

This disease is very individualized and those of us with the disease don't seem to fit into a neat little box...even compared to others with the disease.

Is there a connection to MS and the above issues? Maybe, for some...but maybe not.
                        Diagnosed 1984
                        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

About vitamin D:

The risk of contracting MS is significantly higher in countries above the 49th parallel (for example, Canada, Scandinavian countries, etc). http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/ms_world.html I've read that the risk seems particularly related to whether you were raised in one of those countries during your first 15 years.

Although I live in Kansas now, I grew up in Canada until I was 20. In spite of the fact the there is no history of MS in my family, I've got it.

One theory related to the elevated risks is that, due to being more northern countries, the exposure to sun (vitamin D) is significantly less during the winter, and that might contribute to an elevated risk.

When my daughter moved to Canada (although she was already age 19), I advised her to begin taking a regular vitamin D supplement.

~ Faith
                          ~ Faith
                          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                            [COLOR=purple]When my daughter moved to Canada (although she was already age 19), I advised her to begin taking a regular vitamin D supplement.

~ Faith
                            I just read an interesting study about location and MS, and it said that if you were raised somewhere for the first 15 years - that was the risk factor. Less - your chances went significantly down.

Comment

Low B12
                              Low Vit D
                              IBS
                              severe migraines
                              seizures

Not low B12 or D, but have the rest of the problems.

I am gluten free (2 1/2 years) still have GI problems and migraine but they seem to be less on the GF diet.

Comment

Working...
                              X