Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ambien/Trazadone, etc.

Hi everyone-
    Because of my horrible back/head etc pain from MS, I need to take a sleeping pill (Ambien) every single night just to sleep 4 hours at best..Dr gave me Trazadone to try; havent yet, but wondering if anyone has used it or anything else that seems to do the trick? My "lack of rest" is tearing me apart...

Thanks so much....

I tried Trazadone a few years ago... I didn't do anything for me. Not even a yawn!
    Rae Roy

Comment

I too have difficulty sleeping. I take neurontin, zanaflex, klonopin, and amitriptyline. It seems to help most nights, but I do feel like a zombie the next day!
      DX: RRMS Jan 2010 -- LDN: Mar 2010-Dec 2010, Tysabri: Feb 2011 reaction, Gilenya: Aug 2011 reaction, Copaxone: Oct 2011 reaction, Tecfidera: May 2013 reaction

Comment

Yes Daisy, I have found that even when the Ambiens "work" for me; I still feel like I havent slept in weeks regardless in the morning. I am also currently on neurotin and take Copaxone shots and painkillers, but because of the "pains", i simply just cannot sleep no matter what I do. This disease has taken over my life 100% and there seems no relief in sight...

Comment

I have had massive issues with sleeping, tried several benzo type drugs to help me sleep and whilst they knocked me out they didn't help me sleep.

Getting sleep is a complex issue, going without sleep and combined with pain is also compounding the problem.

I have been treated for anxiety and depression using SSRI's and SNRI's which did not really help the issue.

Doctor put me on to Avanza (in the USA I think it's known as Remeron).

This was the solution to my problems and I now know that this drug is used off label to treat a whole lot of other things such as IBS / Insomnia / Anorexia (weight gain and appetite increase are a known side effect).

If you use this drug you can augment it with a pain relief med.

The other problem with using this med is that it can leave you quite zonked out for the next day, but this seems to wear off as your body adjusts and by the 4-6 week mark a strong coffee will help shake this off.

If the sleep thing is really wearing you down, and Lord knows it is really complex problem, then this might be an alternative.

Comment

Trazodoen

I Have taken Trazodone for 19 years and it still works for me. You have to take a high enough dose to relax you enough to put you asleep

Comment

I took Trazodone several years ago. It was so effective at putting me to sleep that I literally had to take the pill when I was in bed. I'd be out quickly!

It likely will leave you really tired the next day; it took my body several weeks not to have this effect.

Comment

I tried trazodone, but I was one of few that it actually "revved me up", it was like steriod hyper!! I didn't mind ambien, but I was "hung-over" the next day or still medicated, not good when you have to work. I currently use lunesta. It gives time to take it and get ready for bed and I don't wake up with the hang over or still medicated feeling.
                "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."~ Roger Caras

Comment

Working...
                X