Coping with itching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coping with itching

I've spent the last few days feeling like I have poison ivy for several hours/day. If doesn't ease up, I'm planning on emailing my neuro. Any suggestions for coping in the mean time?

where? Do you have any rash (besides the redness from itching I mean? LOL)? I get an unbearable itch on the bottom of my foot sometimes that I have no rash or anything with - but it drives me CRAZY.
    Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
    ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

What meds are you on? Im on Copaxone and everyday I feel like I'm injecting poison ivy into myself which lasts for about a week at the injection sight.... Cortizone and ice packs have become my best friend. If your like me don't scratch you will bruise.

Comment

No rash, no CRABs. I checked the description of itching on the MS Society's site. It seems to match - no outward symptoms, not localized - so I'm guessing it's the MS. I've upped the gabapentin (I had prescription to be used on "as needed" basis. I definitely need it,) but it's starting to drive me crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by heliotrope View Post
          No rash, no CRABs. I checked the description of itching on the MS Society's site. It seems to match - no outward symptoms, not localized - so I'm guessing it's the MS. I've upped the gabapentin (I had prescription to be used on "as needed" basis. I definitely need it,) but it's starting to drive me crazy.
          I had no idea that this was an MS symptom. I just thought I was having a moment every time. LOL. It has been happening to me for about 3 years on and off
          Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
          ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

Nope, it's the MS.

Comment

Ice

The best way to cope with itching that I've found is by using ice. I'll get itching on my chest or torso a lot. Ice packs, or even a water bottle with ice water in it, will help.

good luck -- it's maddening!

Comment

Thanks. I should have remembered that. I'm massively allergic to poison ivy... so... I've been down this road (somewhat) before.

Comment

OMG! You are right, itching can be a symptom of the MS! I've scratched my legs to the point of bleeding, at times. For the past week, it's been higher up, in my breast, and the worse thing is, I can not tell exactly where it is! I feel an itch on the inside (cleavage area), I scratch in that area, no good.... I start "scratching around", and it was on the side nearer my arm! Actually, right now I'm trying to figure out where I need to scratch, ugh!
                  MS, it's a brain thang!
                  Proud to have served, U.S Army WAC

Comment

ms sx makes sense since there's no other reason for it.
                    i've been itching all over since middle oflast night! from my scalp to the soles of my feet.
                    i feel like i oughta have a massive rash everywhere but nothing. i woke up clawing my skin!
                    cold shower didn't help. only thing that calmed it down enough was benadryl. but only enough that i wasn't drawing blood.
                    wow, i'll have to look it up.
                    thanks! i'm not as crazy as i thought!
                    take care and God bless ya!
                    "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

I go through this too! I get a sensation that I can only describe as "static under my skin" and it causes me to itch like crazy. This was the symptom that prompted my neuro to do the MRI that gave me my dx. Apparently it's really common. When I tell him about it he just kinda shrugs it off. I was given Lyrica to try and stop it but I still get the feeling all the time. Right now it's in my forearms.
                      The last time it became really bad was because there were new lesions forming on my brain.
                      Jessi
                      Diagnosed 11/16/2010

Comment

arg!

My back is always itchy. It feels like the area is actually numb and the itching is inside! If I scratch it, it moves. It's maddening.

Lately, it's been my scalp. I have scratched my forearms raw on occasion not realizing until I looked down and saw blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy J View Post
                          The best way to cope with itching that I've found is by using ice. I'll get itching on my chest or torso a lot. Ice packs, or even a water bottle with ice water in it, will help.

good luck -- it's maddening!
                          I was just dx'd with MS April 1st. I've been itching for the past three years after I get out of the bath tub. Mostly torso, chest & arms. I've been through so many soaps thinking I was allergic. Now I realize it is from the MS.

I use Goldbond powder. It soothes a little. I'm going to try the Ice packs!

I'm glad I found this thread, I thought I was crazy!

Comment

Working...
                          X