No announcement yet.

Ampyra - when and why did you give up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey all, stopping ampyra will definetly tell you if it is working for you. i have been on ampyra for 10 months and it has chaged my life. last week i forgot my 2nd dose and i could not balieve the difference. ampyra masks the worsening for me. i am now totally dependent on this med. be well, barry

Comment

Barry how long did it take you when you stared to feel adifferents

Comment

I've been on it for three weeks and have noticed no improvements. My fatigue might even be worse. I guess I'll stick with it for a couple more months.

Comment

I'm very late for this thread, but I have been on Ampyra since November and am cautiously optimistic about it actually . . . helping me. I am standing, walking better than I have in years. Is it the Ampyra? Is it just the waxing and waning of MS? Is it Astrology? I don't know.

I know my neuro thinks the compounded version is exactly the same medication, but I've heard from other folks that it's not. I think one difference might be that I am pretty religious about taking my pill every 12 hours (-ish), and when I was on the 4 AP bird poison (sorry, that was the only results you got when you Googled it a year ago!) I know I missed doses quite a bit, and certainly didn't have the drug in my system constantly (i.e. 24 hours a day).

So like I said, cautiously optimistic . . . and still trucking along with the drug just fine.

Comment

Compounded 4-AP and Ampyra is the same bird poison.
            Steve
            sometimes you can't make it on your own

Comment

O’please, enough all ready.

So what?
              Beta-blockers, cholesterol meds, thyroid meds, ACE inhibitors, birth control pills, and etc will kill dogs, Cocaine was an ingredient in soda, the medication Warfarin was a rat poison.
              Again So What!

And if you have not noticed, we are not birds, rats, nor dogs.

Although I have been called a rat and a dirty dog, it does not mean i should not take meds poisonous to them.

Sorry, i statement just hit a PET peeve I have.
              Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

I was on Ampyra for 5 weeks. I developed insomnia so my neuro told me to reduce dosage to once a day. That helped but It really did not help my mobility. It actually made my balance problem worse so I stopped.
                Unfortunately, I tried Ampyra at the same time my neuro made me take a "vacation" from Tysabri. Now I am back on Tysabri so I may try Ampyra again. Any thoughts?

Comment

Sir Voor, I agree with you, its not a good argument against it.

I'm actually glad to take the compounded form since I don't like how it affects my sleeping, taking my last dose in late afternoon (vs evening) gives it time to get out of my system. Sustained release wouldn't do that.
                  Steve
                  sometimes you can't make it on your own

Comment

I gave it 10 weeks, things became worse, and that was the end of that.

Comment

I took it for 10 weeks and stopped when things became worse.

Comment

Ampyra

I tried ampyra three months and it wasn't doing anything. I went back to taking Fampridine 10 mg/4x/day. It's not a cure-all but works better for me than ampyra. I've asked to increase my ampyra dosage from 20 to 40 mg a day. But, the neuro won't allow it.

Comment

Took my first pill this morning. Will keep you updated. I am hopeful and am praying it will help me.
                          Softball Mom

Comment

Hi softball, welcome to MSWorld!!

Good luck with the Ampyra! I've been on it since July and it has strengthened my weak leg alot. I now can bend it/pull it up when in bed or in the lounge chair.

As far as helping my walking, hard to say, as my balance is bad. If my balance was better, I think my walking would be somewhat faster. I know it has helped with other sx too!

Comment

THANKS- IM GOING TO START THIS MED SOON- IM LOOKING FORWARD TO SOMETHING HELPING ME WALK BETTER- KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED
                              I GOT TO KEEP IT MOVIN-
                              ;DM.S. + MY STORY = I WILL SURVIVE THIS STORM TOO! AUDREY R

Comment

So far so good. No side effects as of yet. Have had a few bad headaches which is a normal thing. My legs have felt better today, I hope they continue to feel this way
                                Softball Mom

Comment

Working...
                                X