RIB CAGE PAIN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIB CAGE PAIN?

Does anyone have pain under their right rib cage? I have had this pain for years. The severity changes and is currently horrible. I have had every test in the world and all they can say is I have non-alcoholic fatty liver. I am only around 20 lbs over weight and fatty livers are not supposed to be this painful.

Please let me know if I am not alone with this pain. If it is just ms then I can relax a little.
    I may have MS but MS does not have me!

sjpaddock,

I used to periodically experienced a stabbing pain in my rib cage area. Sometimes it was accompanied by a tightening around my ribcage, aka the "MS hug".

Mine was caused by muscle spasticity in that area. It finally subsided after I was put on the proper doseage of Baclofen. In my circumstance, that only happened after I got a Baclofen pump.

Kim
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Rib cage pain

Hello Kimba.
      I have horrendous rib cage pain and it has been put down as a MS hug. Was in the Dr at one time and it was really bad could hardly breath, she thought I was having a heart attack, put me on the ECG machine but all ok. then went to Cardiologist had a heart echo but no scar or damamge to the heart and he put it down to the MS bear hug, as he called it.

Also just been into hospital and had 3 operations for breast cancer. After each op back came the ribcage ache out came the ECG each time ,all once again MS hugs and Iwas put on pain killers which worked well for a few hours

Still get it, have it at the moment so take tramadol or Endono, depending on level of pain.

I have SPMS and not on any DMDs as Neuro thought they would not help only make me ill. So just take meds to help with all the other symptoms.

So I guess the answer is yes MS sx. Hope it passes soon really is a so and so while it lassts.

All the best Min

Comment

I don't have a stabbing pain, I have more of an ache that varies in intensity on my right side around my rib cage. It also varies in location from back to side to front. My doctor requested an ultrasound and found that my liver and spleen were slightly enlarged but overall there was no explanation for the pain. Interesting. Is this similar to what you're feeling, SJpaddock? Could it be my MonSter?

Comment

Today's Child

Yes, for the most part it is a very bad ache but at times it does feel like I am being stabbed. It is worse right after I eat so I have avoided eating as much as possible. I will be seeing a GI doc for a second opinion at the end of the month. Thanks for letting me know I am not alone.

Comment

Rib Cage pain after Pump?

Kimba22 you mentioned that your MS "Hugs" didn't start until after you got your Baclofen Pump. I just got my 2nd Baclofen/Morphine pump in Oct. (My 1st on was 6 yrs old & had to be replaced). Since then I have had terrible pain in my ribcage. I was thinking it might be the dreaded MS Hug but I was unsure. I see my Neuro next week & will be bringing it up. I also had Gastric Bypass in March of 2010 & have lost 100lbs and was wondering if it was from the weight loss. Your comment about after your pump made me think that I didn't really start with the pain until after the pump replacement. How did that go for you? What did your Neuro say about it, do for it? Thanks & Only good "((HUGS))" Ajrmom

Comment

YES rib cage pain..then spasms..then absolute air sucking major spasm..till ICANNOT move.. or BREATHE!!

Sometimes its ONLY on the one side. Sometimes it starts in the back first..then BAM comes around and squeezes.

Just realized I hardly get it now (or just an ache or stabbing pain) cuz I take Baclofen, with an anti inflammatory 12 hour release Diclofenac..GREAT and its working ..helping alot.

When it got really bad (took my breath away) I would use a lumbar WRAP from the drug store..and wrap it around my rib cage..and it offered SUPPORT and RELIEF.

Hope you get help..RX Methocarbamol is a nice less drowsy muscle relaxer I would take too..but have not need it all this year.

Best to you.. let us know how you're doing..

Jan
              I believe in miracles~!
              2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
              Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

MJAN

Thank you for your post. I was on Baclofen at one time and if I remember correctly the rib cage pain was not as bad then. I was on so many meds and my liver was suffering so I went off everything except Neurontin and Tysabri.

I will ask my doctor about Baclofen when I see him a a few weeks.
                Thank you!

Comment

Yes I have it and I have had it off and on for over 20 yrs. It is what they refer to as a Plurisy type pain. Sharp can't get a deep breath hurts to take it.
                  Usually goes a way soon.
                  It has lasted for a few days.
                  Now the last few yrs my whole rib cage area hurts a lot.
                  I take baclofen by mouth and valium.
                  Not sure if it helps.

Comment

Cinderelly

My pain is not affected by breathing. That must be awful! I wish the meds worked for you.

Comment

rib pain

I have had it for years. Comes and goes. And yes very painful at times. I think it's spasms. I have spasms everywhere all day, every day and causes alot of pain.

I just take my valium and go to bed when it is bad.

Hope you feel better soon

Linda

Comment

Valium

I am on Valium for the spasms in my legs. It does not even touch the rib cage pain. I have hoped that it would just knock me out but it does not. I am lucky if I get a few hours of sleep at night.

I will be asking my doctor about Baclofen again. I was on that before but with my MS brain I cannot remember if it helped this pain.

Thanks for posting!

Comment

Yes, MS Hug

I've had this for the past 3 years. Severity goes up and down, but its always there.

Doctor gave me Gabapentin (Neurontin) for general MS pain and it seems to help. I still feel pressure, but the pain is not very noticeable anymore.

Comment

Pain

Yes I get that also and it's gets me up in the middle of the night and it feels like I'm having a heart attack

I guess it's my muscles. I also take Gabapentin and Baclofen. I hope everything goes well for you..

Comment

Neaveh33

Thank you for your kind thoughts!

Comment

Working...
                              X