Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone allergy/glucose test..decision

Hi Guys,

Finally heard from the neuro's nurse this afternoon.

He said that after the neuro and the allergist spoke they decided the allergic reaction was to the mannitol in the copaxone.

Also, my blood sugar is not stable..I am actually borderline diabetic.

Neuro thinks that both are caused by the Copaxone and that desensatizing (what the allergist was thinking of doing) would not be wise due to the sugar issues too.

So, I am off the Copaxone as of today and I will have to continue to have my sugar checked. They are going to start me on Betaseron (I have no info on this but will do some research). I can't take rebif as it has Mannitol in it as well.

Just and update. Will call SS today and let them know.

Thank you all for concern, hope this will be helpful to someone.

I'm glad they figured it out and that there is another DMD you can take. Hopefully knowing about your sugar issues now will help to preserve your health in the future!

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbler View Post
      Hi Guys,

Finally heard from the neuro's nurse this afternoon.

He said that after the neuro and the allergist spoke they decided the allergic reaction was to the mannitol in the copaxone.

Also, my blood sugar is not stable..I am actually borderline diabetic.

Neuro thinks that both are caused by the Copaxone and that desensatizing (what the allergist was thinking of doing) would not be wise due to the sugar issues too.

So, I am off the Copaxone as of today and I will have to continue to have my sugar checked. They are going to start me on Betaseron (I have no info on this but will do some research). I can't take rebif as it has Mannitol in it as well.

Just and update. Will call SS today and let them know.

Thank you all for concern, hope this will be helpful to someone.
      Sorry to hear about all that, but you better check with the neuro. Beta has mannitol,too.

http://www.berlex.com/html/products/pi/Betaseron_PI.pdf

Avonex doesn't seem to, though: http://www.avonex.com/pdfs/pi_luer_lock.pdf

Comment

R U serious. Grrrr!

Comment

Nice pickup, MrsBones!

Wobbler, sorry to see you have so much trouble, but I'm glad you finally got things figured out.

In the past, I've been on Avonex, Rebif and Copaxone. Of the three, I much preferred Avonex. Of the two forms, I had fewer side effects with the mix-it-yourself powdered form. I hope you do well on Avonex, whichever form you choose.

I think your experience shows how important it is for people to be proactive and on top of things themselves, no matter how much they like and trust their doctors.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwings View Post
            Nice pickup, MrsBones!
            Thanks!

Wobbler, if it is the mannitol you are allergic to, you are going to have to be religious about label reading, especially if you are going to have to watch you sugar intake. Mannitol is used in a wide range of low sugar products aimed toward people with diabetes, not to mention everyday items like mouthwash, toothpastes...it's even used in the white powder that's dusted on gum to keep it from sticking to the wrapper.

Comment

Again, thanks for the info.

Will call the neuro on Monday a.m.

Comment

Saw the neuro today and we had a nice chat. I caught him between lunch and his afternoon patients. I love that he allows interruptions.

He and I agree to start the Betaseron even though it has Mannitol. Reason being, it has less Mannitol than Copaxone and he likes this option better for now. If I do not tollerate it then we will choose the next.

He believes the majority of my symptoms are from the sugar bounce, not just the allergy. Also not sure if all of the current symptoms have been caused by the Copaxone or not but changing meds will help us to know.

So, now to Betaseron and praying to stay in remission and NOT have any side effects that are not manageable.

Thanks for listening and Merry Christmas

Comment

Wobbler,

The info you and others has shared here is fascinating.
                  Thank you and best wishes on this new journey

Hope you and Beta get along wonderfully!

Comment

Manitol

Frankly, from the time my neuro suggested Copaxone i have been concerned about the Manitol. If you look it up you will see the many side effects of it.

I've notice changes after I began taking the C. I have to wonder if that is what is causing urinary tract problems???

Manitol was originally used in breath mints and toothpaste. I have never like using artificial sweetners and usually find them to be troublesome to me.

Who knows. Wish I could find a way to be tested for Manitol allergy.
                    You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Working...
                    X