Copaxone Newbie Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone Newbie Question

I started Copaxone last night. After much crying (the reality of it all was finally sinking in), I was able to do it. I injected manually. Last night was my stomach and it wasn't too bad. I had some pain after injecting for about 20 minutes. Tonight I did my thigh and I am having really bad pain. Is this normal? I iced before and after.
    thanks

I was on Rebif for 3 months, and the worst place for me to inject was my thigh. It hurt so much worse than any place else, so I quit injecting there.

I will be starting Copaxone the end of this month, so I wonder if it will be similar to that and your experience...
    Melody
    Diagnosed 1/28/10

Comment

I was on Copaxone for 6 months prior to my diagnosis and every time I injected in my thighs, it hurt. When I called Shared Solutions, they told me I was injecting too deep. I tried not putting the needle all the way in like they said but it still hurt! It's something I just had to learn to deal with.
      Rae Roy

Comment

Debba

I have been on Copax for 6 months. I inject manually now and find it is much better than the autoject so stick with it.

I use heat first not cold..I take a hot bath and then inject THEN I ice if it is itchy or painful. But, the pain goes away in about 20 minutes so I think what you are experiencing is normal. It's like a bee sting pain. Not bad at all.

Keep at it. It seems to get better. It does take awhile to sink in and become part of your life. Now it seems normal to me. I am sorry you have to deal with this. We are with you.

Justacowgirl
        Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Debba,

I've been doing it 10 years, yes it sucks having to give yourself a shot or take any medicine every day! GOOD JOB!
          It will get easier, sometimes I give myself a bad shoot, and it may hurt a while. When I do hurt myself its usually that I was in to much of a hurry, I do not use the auto injector. Thigh shoots are always sensitive, I feel around for the best place.
          some times skip using the thigh area for a week or so.

Comment

Five months for me; usually using the autoject. I started manually injecting about a month ago and I find it easier.

Still, there are places that are more sensitive.

Are you making sure that when you uncap the needle there is not any of the liquid on the tip? Hold the needle pointed up and if there is medication that has leaked out then flick it off by tapping the syringe.

I noted leakage both with the autoject and the manual inject.

I think that is why when you use the autoject they instruct you to clean the end of the device by wiping the inside with a alcohol pad.

Anyway, it takes some time with either auto or manual to find the best way for you. I think it's harder with the manual to not go full depth with the needle.

So I use it all the way. Part of my problem is numbness in my hands, so I can't finesse' it.

You will get it right, don't worry. Just keep practicing and adjust your rotation of injection sites as you need to.

I only do my arms every other cycle. The thighs do hurt for me, but I just figure I can handle it. We all hope we can get the maximum potential from this med. so we put on our armor and forge ahead.

Best of Life.

Diane
            You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

It is important to inject into a fatty area, and not muscle. I no long use my thighs do to lack of fat there, I have other fatty areas to use that my doctor said I could use.
              I recommend asking your neuro for best areas to use, instead of using just the generic areas they have listed.

Also when pinching the skin before the shoot, I look for blood vanes. Hitting them is no fun ether, not as bad as muscle just puts Copaxone into your system faster then it should. When it has happened I sometimes get a little bleeding and I’m a little off that day.
              Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Working...
              X