Brain Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain Power

I feel that my brain is going soft, and it's causing me some problems on my job and a lot of stress. My job requires mental acuity and sustained focus. I feel like I'm constantly struggling to think faster and better, which I never used to have issues with.

My ability to multi-task has really gone down hill. I am easily distracted, and then once distracted, I will have zero recall of what I was doing just 30 seconds prior. I feel like i am struggling.

So, I have been looking for ways to improve my brain power. I have focused a lot on my diet.

I just started taking high-dose fish oil gel caps (orange flavored in case I end up smelling fishy ). I am trying to keep all of my everyday vegetables, fruits and dairy organic.

I have also introduced range fed beef and chicken, and am making sure my eggs are range fed as well. Grass-fed beef has 20x the omega 3's and other nutrients, and less fat that grain-fed beef has.

I have cut way down on sugar and eliminated diet coke altogether. (this is how desparate I am for improvement!)

I recently discovered a nice trick -- about 30 minutes before a meeting I'll eat 8 nuts. It really helps me to remember things better and think better during the meeting. The problem with this trick is -- my days are filled with back-to-back meetings! I can't eat nuts all day they have too much fat.

Have you found any habits or tricks (or elimination of existing) that you feel has made you think clearer?

thank you!
    Jam
    DX'd MS 8/17/05
    God never closes a door without at least cracking open a window.

I seem to have better focus and memory since I started taking ginkgo biloba twice a day. I know some studies have said that it doesn't work, but I've gone without it and noticed a big difference. I've also done better since I started taking 1,000 mg of acetyl L-carnitine and 200 mg of alpha lipoic acid daily. I take them for fatigue, for which they are amazing; but some studies have also shown them to be effective in increasing brain power.
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Thanks, Shashi. I was just noticing the other thread on alpha-lipoic acid and acetyl L-carnitine. I am looking into those more.

I've never tried gingko biloba. I'm going to look into that as well. Are you on any of the immuno-modulators (i'm on rebif)? Have you asked your doctor if these supplements might interfere?

thanks!
      Jam
      Jam
      DX'd MS 8/17/05
      God never closes a door without at least cracking open a window.

Comment

Jam, I'm not on any DMDs. I actually haven't been diagnosed yet, though all of my doctors feel certain that with the symptoms that I've had for the past four years, it is MS. The only treatment that I'm currently on is for my symptoms: baclofen, gabapentin, and the supplements that I take for fatigue and brain fog.

It probably wouldn't hurt to check with your doctor before taking ginkgo biloba or any other supplements, just to be on the safe side.
        Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Working...
        X