MS flare(relapse)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS flare(relapse)

Hello. I am in a flare right now with vertigo. I have been on copaxone for 2 1/2 yrs. the neuro wants to put me on something else because my mri showed lots of activity,plus 3 new lesions. I asked if this could happen fromm just missing a couple of doses here and there. He said no, for an mri to look like mine i would have to have been off it for longer than that.I have had 2 rounds of solumedrol. First one was before the mri. Just had my last one on fri and i know it takes time.

The dizziness doesnt put me down but it does effect my life. also am having hearing sensitivity to certain sounds clanging, peoples voices, too much talking,etc.Mri says I have increasing lesions in my basis pontis and medulla,(whatever that means)among 13 other areas.Today I have some weakness and wobbly in my legs ive noticed.wasnt there before.

My question is could the vertigo and sound sensitivity among other things be a new normal for me?I get up and its like things are going to be fine but, then i start to move around and start talking and there i go.Been like this for 2months.

any input would be appreciated.
    thanks

Originally posted by meissie47 View Post
    My question is could the vertigo and sound sensitivity among other things be a new normal for me?I get up and its like things are going to be fine but, then i start to move around and start talking and there i go.Been like this for 2months.
    thanks
    It very well could be your "new normal". But brain MS lesions have 2 ways to "heal". They can re-mylenate to repair the damage then the brain is very plastic able to route around damage in the brain. The spine only has the ability to heal through remyleantion,. The brain has 2 ways---through remylenation and re routing signals and that takes time and patients to find out what the final state will be. It's slow.. Sorry it can't be hurried. I hope the final outcome in your new baseline does not include this, but it might.

Process of healing from brain lesion----
    First the demylenation causes inflamation and the inflamation impinging on the nerve causing the symptoms of an acute relapse. The steroids knock down the inflamation and reduce the length of the the relapse. This is normally very quick, but sometimes it takes longer.

Second the nerve begins to remylenate any where from 1-99%. The person's own body does this--- a person just has to wait for what their body will give them in remylenation. At 0% its SP, and it is never 100% because the tissue is always weaker after a lesion has been there. Noticed most in heat & stress. So remylenation can be anywhere from 1-99% and you will have to be patient and see what your body gives you.

Third- the brain is plastic and able to route around damaged areas of the brain. You read about this most in accident victims who have sustained brain injury and have recovered a phenomenal amount, never thought possible. Their brain was able to re route signals.
    The brain has a higher degree of plasticity in the young than in older brains......

You see why your question of "is this your new normal?", really can't be answered for a long while. The brain does the steps slowly, sometimes so slowly a person does not notice the symptom is improving until one day they notice its been a long time since I had that symptom it must have improved and I didn't notice exactly when it improved?

I hope your doc is able to give you some symptom meds to help you deal with iyt until you find out if its you "new normal"
    xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Thanks. I have some decisions to make and this has given me some insight.you have confirmed some things i was already thinking.

Comment

You sound just like me though I have not been able to have an MRI yet to see how advanced the MS is.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Comment

Hello wobbler, what are you dealing with and how long?

Comment

Originally posted by meissie47 View Post
            Hello. I am in a flare right now with vertigo. I have been on copaxone for 2 1/2 yrs. the neuro wants to put me on something else because my mri showed lots of activity,plus 3 new lesions. I asked if this could happen fromm just missing a couple of doses here and there. He said no, for an mri to look like mine i would have to have been off it for longer than that.I have had 2 rounds of solumedrol. First one was before the mri. Just had my last one on fri and i know it takes time.

The dizziness doesnt put me down but it does effect my life. also am having hearing sensitivity to certain sounds clanging, peoples voices, too much talking,etc.Mri says I have increasing lesions in my basis pontis and medulla,(whatever that means)among 13 other areas.Today I have some weakness and wobbly in my legs ive noticed.wasnt there before.

thanks

My symptoms for 10 yrs were diagnosed as Menieres Disease which is an inner ear disorder. I started with severe vertigo and hearing loss in one ear. I also had distorted hearing. I feel for you. I did get some relief from the vertigo from Meclizine which is sold over the counter as Dramamine or Bonine. I was put on Claritin everyday also, the nondrowsy type and eventually was prescribed a diuretic due to the fluid accumulation in my inner ear. My hearing did improve greatly and my vertigo subsided but I was beside myself at first. Was this an inner ear disorder or my first symtpms of MS I don't know. It doens't matter- I want you to feel better. Maybe this information will help you I hope so Hang In There

Comment

psuedoexaserbation

MS symptoms flare with virus but should stop after the viris is gone. You don't have to do anything different with a viris that a person without MS does & you don't do anything less than a person without MS has to do for the virus . Even if you have MS your still a person-a human being!

And virus causes these psudoexaserbation but generally don't cause a real exserbation. (but sometimes a person can trace a real exaserbation starting after a virus)

In the green bar to the right it describes pseudoexaserbations.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ons/index.aspx
              xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Meissie47,

This all started last September. Took 8 months & many docs to get my dx (probably have had ms since 98).

Short remission in March, again in May and back in relapse now.

Vertigo has been an issue for years, thought it was ear problems but ruled out by ENT.

Currently having issues with legs (both this time) that just don't want to hold me up for long and I have this internal buzzing sensation in my brain and throughout my body. Sort of like a back massager is on, on the inside.

I have left arm banding again and my vision is not quite as clear as usual.

Hands and arms feel heavy at times, hands even feel like I have huge gloves on at times (weird).

As I have learned from this site, everyone has different symptoms that are similar in nature.

I tell people all the time (since I am at a year with no real improvement) that "I" am fine, mentally and spiritually, the body I feel I am dragging around is not.

I go back to the doc on Monday, not sure what he will do if I have not improved more from my last hospitalization two weeks ago.

I am still working part time, I got about 30 hours this last month. I am fortunate to work at my church.

Thanks for asking

Comment

Working...
                X