Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex Side Effects

Originally posted by SharonKY View Post
    Ok after 5 shots...several different combinations of pre-medication....

I just wanted to run some of my side effects by people to see if Im just not as crazy as a loon!!!

Chills (severe...teeth chattering, shaking)
    Body aches
    Joint pain
    Headache
    nightmares (or VERY strange dreams)
    diarrhea (in the middle of the night..IBS like)
    tingling feeling (like pins and needles)

Ive only done 5 injections.....and each week the side effects are so different....

Anyone??
    I've been on Avonex now for over a year. When I first began taking it I suffered everyone of the side effects you've listed. Before taking my weekly injection I would take a Motrin 800 and too sleep some sort of sleep aid - it did reduce these symptoms slightly. The only real relief to these symptoms came after the passage of time. For me, I seemed to develop a tolerance (probably not the right word) to the side effects and now after a year I don't suffer near what I use to earlier. I am however skeptical of its benefits to me since we really haven't decided whether I have RRMS or PPMS. My MS Symptoms don't get better but they don't really get worse, however they are always present. As for the hair loss, mine has begun to thin but for a man it is certainly not as great an issue as for a woman. Hope I helped you. MSJ
    MSJ

Comment

I never had bad side effects. I used the Prednisone and Aleve from the beginning. Now I take two Naproxen (Aleve) shortly after the shot, no reason to premed with it since any side effects start about 4 hours after the shot. I probably don't need the Naproxen, but they are cheap, about 3 cents each at Sam's. Never worried about extra hydration.

I do the shot Friday morning and just go about my day. shot 496 last Friday.
      Bill
      Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

If I may resurrect this thread...

How does the weird dreams go for you guys? I had noticed this before but thought nothing of it until I read this thread... I usually sweat all night and dream the weirdest things EVER...

Comment

I actually have no sleep or dream issues with the medication. I'm usually so tired that I fall right to sleep and don't wake up again until the alarm goes off. I don't dream very often, and when I do, they're pretty much "normal" dreams.

Comment

Weigh the Benefits

I was on Avonex for four years and my side effects were the same EVERY weekend. Flu-like symptoms, tingling sensation, uneasy stomach, and total lethargy. I have since switched to Tysabri with no side effects because of an attack I had that left me with foot drop.

The way I look at it in hindsight, is that I gave up over two hundred weekends of my life to save me from giving up my life...does that make sense?

If the side effects persist after a few months, talk to your doctor. For me, it did not improve my quality of life because I gave up my weekend life. I should have switched much earlier!

I hope this helps you sort things out.

Comment

Prefilled vs. Powdered form

RoyalOne

I agree,I had the same experience with the prefilled form a few years ago. Staying with the powered form with very little side effects.

Lee

Comment

first try

i gave myself the firstever shot of avonex last saturday my side effects weren't that bad at all that evening.the next morning i woke with such bad pain from my hipll the way down to my foot,so bad i couldn't touch my hip. not sure if it was the avonex or just my monster playing games with me. i gues i'll find out this weekend

Comment

Working...
                X