Provigil Effectiveness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Provigil Effectiveness

I have been using Provigil for a few months and am noticing it is not as effective as when I began. Is there a point when Provigil no longer helps with the fatique.
    OldMan

I stopped using Provigil for quite a while; it just gave me a racing heart and an awful crash afterwards. However, since I kept nearly an entire bottle of the stuff in the event I would have to use it again, I started to use it instead of Adderall (at least until I get a new job).

Interestingly, after a number of months of not taking Provigil, it now seems to work so much better; perhaps the way it was intended to work.

Comment

I was taking Provigil during the school year but have stopped during summer break. I am now trying it again to get my body back into school mode. I am not having as much luck this time. The doctor yesterday told me to keep taking it and start exercising. If this does not work he want to switch me to Ritalin. We will see how it works.

Comment

I took a day break from Provigil every week which seemed to help it's effectiveness for me. Otherwise I built up a tolerance to it.

Comment

I started taking a half a pill ,now I take three quarters of one so slowly the effectiveness isn't as good. I also try 2 of the 7days in a week to not have any or just half in hopes i won't have to up my doseage or try something different. Good luck maybe after being off it for a while try it again.

Comment

I've built up tolerances to at least 3 meds before i got to provigil so to prevent it I skip around on the dosage. I'm supposed to take 200mg twice a day. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday I take it as prescribed. Tuesday and Friday I just take my morning dose. Saturday I try not to take any unless I have something I just have to get done and Sunday I only take a late morning dose. I tailor it around when I really need it so I don't built up a tolerance to it.

Comment

I was successfully on Provigil for several years when it suddenly, abruptly just stopped working. My neuro then put me on Ritalin which worked well for me. After about a year I've just now switched back to Provigil and it seems to be working for me again.
              Dee
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you.

Comment

When I started with it, I only used it for days that I needed an extra push.. And it did work, and I liked being more awake all day, and ended up needing to take it just to be on my best game for work. I felt so wound up on it, I dont use it any more, now I use amantidine and it is not harsh and works fine and its cheeper.

Comment

i don't know how ANYone can afford Provigil. my neuro gave a week sample to try along with script for 90 days once i called her and told her it worked great for the week.
                  my pharmacist tried to fill it - my blue cross said it required a pre-auth. my neuro tried to get pre-auth and it was still denied.
                  i tried to get assistance through Cephalin(company that makes Provigil). they said since i have prescription coverage, they cannot help me
                  now i'm back to square one.
                  my fatigue has gotten so bad even on tysabri that i often leave work early 2-3 x a week.
                  i have an appt with neuro on wed; hoping she has some other suggestions. i CANNOT let fatigue cause me to lose my job.
                  uuugghhh

Comment

I used Provigil for awhile. I couldn't afford it, and my insurance wouldn't pay for it, but my doctor had given me quite a few samples (I still have some, in fact.)

However, after taking it for a week or so, I started having severe chest pain. It really scared me, so I discontinued the medication, and was fine afterwards, except for a return of the fatigue.

In September of last year, someone here recommended two anti-oxidant supplements, alpha lipoic acid (ALA) and acetyl L-carnitine (ALC) that have been found in university studies to be as or more effective than amantadine in alleviating fatigue caused by MS. (They also help with chronic fatigue syndrome, cancer fatigue, and the fatigue from old age.)

I started taking them in the recommended dosages of 1,000 mg of ALC and 200 mg of ALA and the results have been remarkable. The debilitating fatigue that I had suffered with for three years is gone. It's amazing!

If Provigil doesn't work or is too expensive, why not try ALA and ALC? You can get them at Walmart or online through Puritan's Pride and other vitamin companies. There are many here who have had the same wonderful results that I have. Just do a search for them here and on Google for more information.

(If you do try them, be sure to check with your doctor first, especially if you take thyroid or diabetes medications, as these supplements can cause an increase in the effectiveness of such medications to be increased. Also, it can take up to a month to feel the full effects, and you have to take them daily for them to be effective.)

Good luck and hugs,

Lisa
                    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

i went out after reading your post on these supplements. i have been on them for about 2 weeks now (i think dosage is 200 / 400 respectively - not sure - they are at home). i still have not felt any different; still exhausted at work and need to leave early to nap. only to wake up, make dinner for kids and want to go back to bed. now, i am also dealing with the reality of all of this - i am not unable to drive due to car accident -my only vehicle totaled - last week. i know it will all work itself out .... just feeling REALLY stressed nowadays. i am not even 40 yrs old and i should not be driving. dealing with this fatigue is really wearing me down too, though.
                      i am also on tysabri for 27 months now seems like it has been great at keeping me stable and working.
                      i am going to neuro tomorrow morning - hopefully, she has some better suggestions.
                      but, thanx for listening

Comment

Originally posted by angela1971 View Post
                        i went out after reading your post on these supplements. i have been on them for about 2 weeks now (i think dosage is 200 / 400 respectively - not sure - they are at home). i still have not felt any different; still exhausted at work and need to leave early to nap. only to wake up, make dinner for kids and want to go back to bed. now, i am also dealing with the reality of all of this - i am not unable to drive due to car accident -my only vehicle totaled - last week. i know it will all work itself out .... just feeling REALLY stressed nowadays. i am not even 40 yrs old and i should not be driving. dealing with this fatigue is really wearing me down too, though.
                        i am also on tysabri for 27 months now seems like it has been great at keeping me stable and working.
                        i am going to neuro tomorrow morning - hopefully, she has some better suggestions.
                        but, thanx for listening
                        Angela, I'm sorry you're not getting any relief from taking the ALC/ALA supplements. One suggestion that I have is that you may need to increase your dosage of ALC. I take 1,000 mg a day, which works well for me, but the therapeutic dosage used in the clinical studies was actually 2,000 mg. daily. You might also try the CoQ10, as I've read that it can help as well.

I'm sorry about your car. I know that must be stressful! I hope you get some relief and everything works out for you soon.

Hugs,

Lisa
                        Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Originally posted by angela1971 View Post
                          i don't know how ANYone can afford Provigil. my neuro gave a week sample to try along with script for 90 days once i called her and told her it worked great for the week.
                          my pharmacist tried to fill it - my blue cross said it required a pre-auth. my neuro tried to get pre-auth and it was still denied.
                          i tried to get assistance through Cephalin(company that makes Provigil). they said since i have prescription coverage, they cannot help me
                          now i'm back to square one.
                          my fatigue has gotten so bad even on tysabri that i often leave work early 2-3 x a week.
                          i have an appt with neuro on wed; hoping she has some other suggestions. i CANNOT let fatigue cause me to lose my job.
                          uuugghhh
                          Been there and done that. Provigil is not approved for use unless you have a diagnoses of MS.

Comment

I've got Anthem, and I believe they have dropped Provigil from their formulary and put Nuvigil on as the prefered drug. Call your insurance company and ask if this is what has happened. Nuvigil is the extended release version of Provigil from what I understand.

Comment

Provigil side effects

Last month my doc prescribed Provigil for me. She started me at the smallest dose and only half a pill to begin and take "as needed". The two times I took it, my heart raced and I had EXTREME anxiety and the jitters. I will not take it now, as I feel I am one of those that reacts to it rather than respond
                              Anyway, it was very expensive and I have a full bottle. Pharmacist told me to wait until it expires then throw it away. It's a shame to waste such a valuable med.

Thank you Shashi!!! I am going to ask about the ALA and ALC.

Hugs everyone ))))
                              sx since 2001
                              Definitive Dx May 2009 RRMS
                              Copaxone

Comment

Working...
                              X