Rest Area 51 Calling ALL in early yrs of MS Dx June 20 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rest Area 51 Calling ALL in early yrs of MS Dx June 20 2010

Welcome to Rest Area 51... a special haven for newbies Dx'd w/MS in recent days or years. If you just came from MiniVanMama's Limbo Island, you should feel at home here now that you have your MS Dx.

Pull into a nice shady parking spot and enjoy the fresh air. Feel free to share your ideas, experiences and support to your fellow newbies. Relax, you are among friends that understand.

The only dumb stupid question is the one NOT asked.

We have a deep dark SNAKE PIT for us to throw doctors or anyone else deserving of a good bite. We have a VENTbox for anyone to use anytime, we ALL need to vent once in a while.

How was YOUR Week?.............. Did you have any doctor apts or tests this past week?

What does YOUR week ahead look like?..........

Question of the week?

Do you have any other serious CRONIC issues you have to deal with regularly in addition to MS.

I have a host of other issues......
    DIABETES for decades, insulin 5x/day..
    KIDNEY disease, CKD-3 (cronice Kidney Disease stage-3...
    heart valves, stenosis in 3 valves, prob from Rehumatic fever long long ago.
    Hypertension, psorasis and a few other little things.

Mt week past was fairly quiet other than feeling YUCKY. Had a bout fo diarea and upset tummy etc for a few days now, so not eating quite normal.

The diarea is OK now but hope this yuck passes on its yucky way this week. Maybe its from doing TOO MUCH, or pushing myself lately, or maybe its HEAT related, no sure. Maybe I should try a cooling vest??????????

NowY'all B good, check in, or i'll sned Crystal (my cane) after ya...oops Don't 4get our Question of the Week!

GOMER Maybe I'll feel better if I read someone else's yuck posting elsewhere?????

Busy week to come

Question of the week?
    Do you have any other serious CHRONIC issues you have to deal with regularly in addition to MS.

I have bad knees from the army, classified as osteoarthritis and I am missing a chunk out of my left knee cartilage. My knees pop and crack and sometimes they give and I fall.

I also have skin problems from the army, too. Went on sickcall back in 1986 because I had all these little itchy white bumps. Stupid doc(candidate for snake pit) said it was scabies, so I went back to barracks and treated myself and broke out in hives, too. Went back on sickcall and this same doc says, you don't have scabies and now you have hives, too(I wanted to hit her). Six months later I made it to dermatologist and was given excema DX.

So, I came home last week from Aruba and it is true to it's slogan: One Happy Island. Very relaxing and I would go again anytime. This was a family trip and we got along great. Of course, when we don't have siblings, we cousins have to stick together and make fun of our parents. We got a great picture of an iguana climbing on my 71yo mother at the pool and her sweet talking to him.

This week I have six appointments at the VA:
    Monday-OBGYN in the am and then Urology in the pm
    Wednesday-Physical Therapy
    Thursday-Compensation for disability rating in the am and Dermatology in the pm
    Friday-Orthopedics
    Saturday-Opthamology for compensation rating.
    Opthamology called me yesterday to tell me they had opening next Saturday, so I jumped on it, because I was scheduled for appointment in late July. Being disabled is a fulltime job, can I quit and get another job? please?

Comment

just diagnosed last week

Hi everyone ,
      Last week I was dx. with RRMS. This took just a few years for the right doctor to come around and figure out what I have. But I'm doing ok ,just not walking or seeing so good. I've made a decision not to take the shot for now because I have other health problems as well.
      To answer the question of the week .... I've been diagnose over the years with now RRMS,RA,osteo ,spondyolitis ,scoliosis,raynoud's syndrome,peripheral neuropathy (because of the RA), legally blind (but still can see out of left eye, TN,ON,gerd,hiatal hernia,asthma. wheeeew And I'm going to make all my doctor sign a contract saying that they cannot diagnose me with anything else ever.
      So with all that I am taking a grip of meds.. The though of taking shots on top of everything makes me feel ill. So I'm waiting for a good pill.
      The things that bug me the most is that my legs are so stiff,swelling,numb and sore along with the arthritis . Walking is very difficult even with a walker or forearm crutch. And the fatigue and dizziness is terrible.
      My neuro wanted me to do 3 days of steroids but my veins are so thin that they were going to put a pick in my shoulder/neck area and don't think that I can handle that kind of pain.
      Well thats me in a nut shell so far. looking forward to getting to know you all . Time to ice my should now . Arthritis is flaring too.

(((((HUGS))))

Gimpy
      dx. June 2010 RRMS ,May 2010 SLE
      dx.2007 RA
      my main are meds:Meds:gabapentin,baclofen,norco,copaxone,

Comment

Hey folks.. GOMER you ROCK~!! 5 shots just for insulin..yikes!!!

I got home from 5 day hosp video EEG. Almost lost my hair as chunks came out trying to get the GLUE of out it.
        Nearly died of boredom but some of my co-workers/supervisor came to visit with me after 3 months of wondering what the heck was wrong. (HIPPA) since
        last time in hosp in March due to MS exacerbation and new lesions=Dawson..finally clinched my MS diagnosis.

The seizure disorder disqualifies me for my hospice job as I can no longer drive.

Your Question: 5 diagnoses in 1 year: all chronic stuff

Dysautonomia..autonomic disorder
        SICCA syndrome. or sjogrens, dry eyes..mouth..ear, another autoimmune disorder
        Gitelman's a rare kidney disorder, genetic. My kidneys waste electrolytes, mostly potassium for me.
        Seizure disorder, mostly autonomic and MS related
        MS, finally diagnosed with 2nd opin in June 2010

Some residual affects from last exacerbation but not too bad use a cane whenever I leave home. Doing ok now. But sight is so horrible cannot see the really tall letters on eye chart. BLURRIVILLE.

Best to you all. I am on this forum daily.

{{{ HUGS & Caring support }}}

Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Hi All,

Saw my neuro again last week. First time since my hospitalization for MS in May. He can't do an MRI due to my interstim so my dx is based on ruling all other things out. He said he "knows" it is MS but would love to see it on film.

He originally said he wanted to treat me with steroids vs DMM's (I think because of a lack of the MRI) but because I relapsed in May so quickly after the September - April relapse that he asked me what I wanted to do. I told him, let's wait and see this time and then decide.

I have 6 more of the 50 days of steroids and I am done.

Long term medical issues:

Sicca syndrome, originally thought to have Sjogren's but don't. Very dry eyes and something called "optic nerve dreusen". This was my initial symptom other than ears mentioned below. Anyone else have this???

Neurogenic Bladder with Intersim for treatment, originally thought a fluke but now quite possibly from the MS.

Chronic Yeast Infection on skin, from inner ear problem back in the 90's that was over treated. I now think it was never my ears and was vertigo (since I have it again now) and it is still not my ears.

I have had two GI bleeds one related to ulcers the other unknow origin, I just get them, they don't know why.

I have chronic migraines, until this relapse...I have only had two in the past 9 months. WHY?

Basically, always a sick kid, always caught the weird bugs but never "sick" like with a cold, etc .

Biggest struggle right now, wobbly. I feel like I am over medicated or like I am a big tipsy. Not fun!

Comment

Eeeeeven-ing........I think..

Sparky10.....thanks 4 Ur Email. I FOUND the edit-mode icon. Therefore I am letting you know, here & now, (whenever that might be........LOL). After reading your email I decided to sneek around on my own.

Also found the decrease/increase SIZE icon/button! Now ya went an done it! I find, well on MY screen anywho that up is down and down is UP? Now Sparky...WHAT is down with that? OOPSy..it does NOT increase or decrease TEXT size just the typin' WINDOW

Speaking of ICONs.......Any chance of getting a NEW arrow icon? Would be nice to have a a BLUE circle with a WHITE arrow.. (hint hilight blank area to see text) U no.. like a hightway REST AREA arrow. Right arrow is fine, if its a little off and pointing slightly up, even better.. maybe?

BTW Sparky-Ten..Thanks for inciting my venture into checking out the EDIT-MODE switch, I LIKE IT!. Being an ole fuddy duddie I did not bother FIXing vvhat wad nut broken. Therefore consider this PROOF that even an ole GOMER KAN Khange. I like what I C.

WOBBLER... Love Ur handle BTW, sure sounds like it FITS. With the way MY mobility has declined over the past couple years.. I did NOT want to wait.

mjan.. ya FIVE insulin jabs a day, I never expected to be put on THAT many shots. At first it was just one NPH insulin shot in the AM. Then maybe a year later I had to go to 2 shots of NPH + regular insulin mixed a day. After I fell and tore my shoulder I had to go to 3 a day, then 5 a day. So I was already a human pincushion before starting the Copaxone.

gimpy2....Nice 2 C U...WELCOME Never say NEVER , or at least knock on WOOD.Some of are just blessed with a slew of issues.

Dulcinea714......... Our snakes are HUNGRY, feel free to feed them!. I hear ya on the SHOTS issue. I sort of got over that decades ago with the insulin. I felt so BAD at the time, starting insulin helped me so much I got over being a needle weenie. Well I am still a bit of a needle weenie for anything larger than an insulin needle.

Speaking of SHOTS......OUCH.. it's about time for my WIFE TO SHOOT ME...w/Copaxone, that is.

Thanks Rest Area Crew for spilling the beans on this weeks Q of the week.

GOMER sez I sure could use a nice RELAXING vacation..... say Hawaii?

Comment

QW I am sorry that you guys are all dealing with multiple issues. So far, I only have MS. Before, Jan. of this year, I only went to the doc when I absolutely had to (other than pregnancies).

I am checking in from my first day at the beach! It was hazy and fairly breezy, so I was able to stay outside until about 2. Then I went in until this evening. I am definitely relaxed, but it is hard to not have the energy to get up and run with the kids. I just have to learn to accept being happy under the tent, watching everyone else.

Well, I'm tanned and ready for day 2, so I'm heading to bed. Hope everyone has a good week!
              Melody
              Diagnosed 1/28/10

Comment

Saar-E Sparky.... I should hav noted I was verbousing 'bout POST-ICONS You know, those little pictures that go with the thread title. I have been using the GREEN disk w/BLACK arrow, gotta hav a EZ way to FIND our Rest Area 51. (among the sea of thread titles)

Maybe your janitor can find one for us in a circular file somewhere....lol

BTW on my 'puter the [ctrl]+(wheel) changes the Explorer window text size/zoom, not the posting text body size...or is that what ya ment?

Roo...how U do?.....
                Don't feel bad Roo, I would be willing to SHARE with you..naw, ya would not want to. Glad to C U and Enjoy the beach! Q4U... R U gonna Bcome a beach bum?

Q 4 Sparky...... were you ever an electrician?

GOMER Former Navy Sparky

Comment

Roo enjoy your time at the beach. so glad there is a nice breeze for you. Enjoy it....

I am like Roo, I only have MS....(only what am I saying??)

Until iritis with my eye and extreme fatigue 3-4 yrs ago, I did not go to doc much either....Routine stuff and pregnancies....then all this started, but I have my dx now.

Busy week coming up for me. Monday is MRI, Tuesday neuro appt.. Then our local carnival is coming up, so Wed. dh and I are going to hear a Beatles trubute band. We have heard them before and they are good. Thursday is the rib fest in a neighboring town....Friday is carnival again to walk around with dh., and Sat is carnival with dd, her hubby and grandkids. It is supposed to be hot, but unless I get hungry for fair food during the day, we will only be there at night, so that should be okay. It will feel good to go out again.

Hope you all have a good week.

JudySz

Comment

Ok Lightening Senior........aka sparky.

I am using Win Explorer7....

In the lower right corrner of each window (I keep several open at a time), there is a ZOOM function, normal =100%.
                    Now if I hold down [ctrl] & spin the (mickey-wheel) the WINDOW zoom goes up or down, in increments of 10%. So it goes from 100% to either 90% or 110% etc depending on direction I spin the mickey-wheel, while holding down the [ctrl] key that is.

Now if ya realy wanna have some fun, find and press your any-key, aka NEkey, if ya can find it. Some keyboards have it, many IBM keyboards are missing THAT key even tho its often mentioned in instuctions.
                    B4 U ask..YES there REALLY is a NEkey and some keyboards actually have it properly labeled even.

I also have an EASY button, do you?

GOMER BTW Sparky, ya should see MS world logo at 690%, slightly pixelated...........lol (yep I did that)

Comment

Gomer, I have an easy button, too, but it doesn't seem to work for me anymore.

Question of the week: MS, hypertension, hidradenitis suppurativa (autoimmune skin disorder)

I stayed in the house most of the weekend to avoid the heat. Napped and read mostly.

Comment

Question

I have had Seasonal Affective Disorder - Bipolar that changes with the season. (depressed in the winter and manic in the summer) Just ask my wife! She usually knows before I do.

Type II diabetic.

Had a great Father's day with family. J.

Comment

Back at work, struggling with two things:

1) difficulty concentrating.

2) Difficulty caring.

I'm not exactly sure how much is brain damage from the disease, emotional or chemical. I do feel like the antidepressants are doing their job - I don't feel so much stress anymore. But stress was how I was motivated this far in my life. Let something go until it gets big then use the stress to do it.

No stress - no effort.

I'm trying to find a new motivator after all these years.

Comment

SPARKY..........I do NOT have enough GOOD hrs in a day. Far too many diverse intrests, too little gts done.......sometimes.

MBC3mom........What do ya expect from a $5 cheapo EASYbutton...for it to WORK? (more than a time or two). I am sure glad you spelled out what that whatevertitis was a skin thingy, would have never guessed!

journeyman....... How can you be or have SAD, considering you're in Tampa? With 360 days of sunshine, I would think of all places..NOT in Tampa!
                            Well MAYBE, when the sunshine turns to liquid sunshine, aka falling aqua. If it gets too hot there can you head of to Bush gardens and swim with polar bears? (or do they have polar bears there?)

journeyman, how about dropping in to Le PinCushion thread. It's just for us diabetics with MS, Instead fo Dungeons and Dragons its MonSters & Dragons. We can expect to remain a small group, but we do have extra issues in common, having BOTH.

Are you on just diet & exercise or pills or insulin? Anyhow, come on over you can help us get the PinCushion get going. I promise we won't jab ya.

JudySz...... I agree, ONE is plenty. Good luck with all your STUFF going on this week.

GOMER Thanks to MS, what is (or was) EASY to others, is HARD for me, do we have a HARD button?

Comment

Big A, you hit the nail on the head for me at work. I've always thrived on stress; the bigger the job, the more efficient and hardworking I could be. Now, I feel completely unmotivated and can't decide what to do first. I know I have many things I have let slide and one day, it will come back to bite in the you-know-where.

I am feeling more anxious and depressed lately. I am on anti-anxiety medications already, but low dose. I am waiting to see if it is situational (because there are things going on in my life that are depressing) or if it is ms related before I call my md. I think I would feel just fine if that Easy Button would only win the lottery for me

Comment

Working...
                              X