How much Vitamin D3 are you taking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much Vitamin D3 are you taking?

I got lazy and stopped my vitamins for a couple months, then got a lecture from my neurologist that I absolutely not skip on the D3. I take 4000 iu's daily and was just wondering what other MS patients are taking / advised to take by their Dr.

Thanks!

Laurie_S

1st Episode - Jan 2006
    MS DX - Aug 2006
    Avonex patient since March 2010

Hello Laurie

I'm currently taking 2 soft-gel tabs of 5000 iu each until I go back to the Doctor to have my blood level checked.

Also, since this thread is about a supplement, it will be moved to the Medications and Natural Supplements Forum. (You can still click on it in this forum, and you will be taken there.)

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Laurie,

look on my profile - you will find one of the most facinating talks on VitaminD anywhere. As best as we can tell, low VitaminD makes you more succeptable to a flair. So do take that - it's not like the other vitamins - you can't really get enough from food.

I take 10,000 IU per day and recently had my D levels in the 50s, which is what you want. That's the most important suppliment, almost as potent as the medecine, in theory.

Comment

I also take 10,000 IU a day, and so do my husband and my adult children.

Comment

I just read an article the other day that seemed to think we might be taking too much Vit. D. It said that VD actually acts more like a hormone than previously thought, and that the consensus has been that too much isn't harmful. BUT that new research is showing that too much can cause thyroid issues, as well as some other pretty major things. This scientist was rec. that the MS community re-look at their Vit. D. recommendations. He said that we should be tested every few months and only be taking massive amounts if we are defecient.
          Melody
          Diagnosed 1/28/10

Comment

I take 7000 IU's in liquid form. Dr. says the absorption works faster in liquid form than from pills. My count is now very good - last time checked it was 60.
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

i take 2000 iu.

Comment

Vit. D-3

On the advice of my ophthalmologist I take 5,000 IU of Vit.D-3 daily. I had some neurological problems about 6 years ago that presented itself like MS but wasn't. That and a strong family history of cancer was why he had me start on the vit. I have had one flare-up since being diagnosed 1 1/2 yrs. ago. So maybe it works? I have my levels checked yearly.

Comment

I am a big believer in the Vit. D theory reducing relapse rates by 70%.

I am a perfect example. Lived in Florida my whole life. Then I moved to New England and two years after the move, I developed double vision and a diagnosis of MS. As it turned out, at that time, my Vit D level was 20. Now I am taking 3000 IU a day and my level during this last winter was 60.

I was told that if you have MS it is preferred that our levels be closer to 100. Has anyone else heard that??

Originally posted by BigA View Post
                  Laurie,

look on my profile - you will find one of the most facinating talks on VitaminD anywhere. As best as we can tell, low VitaminD makes you more succeptable to a flair. So do take that - it's not like the other vitamins - you can't really get enough from food.

I take 10,000 IU per day and recently had my D levels in the 50s, which is what you want. That's the most important suppliment, almost as potent as the medecine, in theory.

Comment

Garsh, I only take 1000IU's, I think my next bottle will be the 2000IU's
                    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Varies

I vary the amount of Vitamin D I take. In the summer less, I take less since I am getting ouside in the natural sun a lot more. In the winter, it's the exact opposite.
                      Tawanda

Comment

5000 mg daily
                        Steve

Comment

My doc recommended 2000 IU's daily.

Comment

6000 iu per day
                            Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

20,000/day until optimal levels are reached; 80 non-MS and 100+ for MS. Google vit D toxicity, you won't find much.
                              NutritionTara
                              Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X