People with MS who are active.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Ice Skater here!

Nabbosa, you are not alone on loving the ice! I started figure skating at age 42, was diagnosed with MS at age 48. I am now 56, still loving my skating.

I am not the only MSer I know who skates.

I totally agree that the concentration on balance has been very beneficial. Sometimes balance is an effort, but if I have faith that my brain knows what to do, and my body is trained to do it, it works. (Hope that makes sense....)

If Chicago hosts another Adult National competition, I'll come up and meet you!

Comment

this thread got me thinking....

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
      I'm a huge believer in doing what you can when you can. But I felt like a caveat is needed when you mentioned showing others what is "possible."

It is only "possible" if your MS has allowed it. If you've won the MS lottery, so to speak, and don't have PPMS, or some devastating relapse that leaves you severely disabled, then your possibilites are greater than others.
      Hello

First I want to say it's fantastic that so many persons with MS are able to engage in such physically demanding activities

But also wanted to acknowledge rdmc's caveat regarding what activities are possible for persons with MS.

The activities that any unique individual with MS can accomplish is relative to how much destruction to their myelin has occurred, and more importantly, how much axonal damage has been done.

Exercise certainly is beneficial, but unfortunately it does not stop the progression of MS. I speak from experience as one who has been athletic all my life (swimming,tennis, bike riding, bowling, you-name-it) and also a work-out addict. MS didn't really care what I was doing. It still did it's own thing.

When we're talking about persons with MS, who's to say that one person's marathon is a greater accomplishment than another person's 2 mile walk with their roller walker? (when doing one mile usually pushes them to their limit) It's all relative......

Best wishes to all with MS - to those whose movements are limited, to the mildly active, the moderately active, and the extremely active

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi all,

Having a busy week here. My mom goes in for a heart cath on Wednesday so I'm getting things ready for that.

I wanted to respond to the tread though at least!! Let's keep it up, maybe we could do a weekly "check in" or "how are you doing" thread? Thoughts?

On a general note, there is an article that shows that people who are active with MS have better cognitive function and it helps with building neuro pathways. I'd post the link but that's a no no. If you do a search you should be able to find it.

Koko - Actually, those with better fitness do better with MS. (See above) I'm not saying you have to run a marathon even going out for a walk around the block is activity. I just wanted to see people who are more active with MS.

Twanda - Also Wendy Booker is a great inspiration! Look her up online. She's also attempted Everest and has climbed six out of the seven peaks! She's awesome!

Nab and Just - Oh... I am envious! I've never every been able to ice skate lol. I'm glad you to are having fun!

Truckin - That's great!! Even when you don't feel good you still try to get out there and that is what's important!

Lucia - That website is great!

Carol - Same here I think I'm the fittest now then any other point in my life. Even as a 8 year old hehe.

50 - The elliptical is just like running just without the pounding. So you are running! I'm inspired hearing about how even those with weakness and drop foot are out there doing something!

RDMC - I'm trying to keep this tread positive especially for those who are newly diagnosed. The online community as a whole is a bit biased and those who use online resources may trend towards those who may have a more sever form of the disease. However, I think the newly diagnosied who come and see this thread can be inspired.

Those who come on here are going to both have RRMS to PPMS. The fact is 70% of people with MS will not need an assistive device like a wheelchair. Even with a wheelchair (as shown in this thread) you can still get out and be active. People in wheel chairs can even do marathons if they're able!

The thread is not meant to make anyone feel bad but it is to inspire others to get out and move. It is important and probably one of the most important things to do!

BigA - Same here. I waited for a long time. My suggestion is you do it when you feel comfortable. I was blessed with a good friend who ironically lives about 3K miles away from me. He wanted me to get out and get moving again and to do this he stayed with me on the phone and he jogged while I walked.

He did this to show me that I was going to be 'ok'. I wasn't pushing myself nothing horrible happened and from that point on I slowly got myself back up to my normal routine. If you are nervous like I was, you could have a friend go with you. Heck if you want I'll call you and you can walk while I jog.

I'm so glad to see the positive response to this thread! I hope everyone has a great week ahead of them!

Genie

Comment

Hello Genie

Wishing your Mom the best, and that things work out for her

Also, you are allowed to post a url of a "reputable source where applicable to the topic."

Genie, I know well that exercise is very beneficial. As I said in my post, I've always been athletic and a work-out addict. But as my MS has progressed, I am able to do less and less - not more, like I want to.

Best wishes to all

Take care,
          KoKo
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Wow, great thread. I love learning that so many of you are doing so well!

I'm 57 and quite active. I walk two miles most days and sometimes more, play golf and am an avid gardener. Thank goodness for my dog -- she loves nothing more than a good walk and her insistence on her daily strolls really keeps me going.

There are a few things I don't feel comfortable doing anymore, like biking. I don't like being on a ladder or hiking in high places either. My balance is less than stellar and one of my legs occasionally has a mind of its own. Fatigue and heat are much bigger issues now, but I don't know how much of that to attribute to MS versus just getting older.

On the whole, I'm extremely fortunate and thank my lucky stars all the time. All of you athletes, keep it going!!

Comment

I am also 57 and still consider myself quite active. Running is out of the question, and I can't walk very far without looking like I'm drunk, but I force myself to keep moving and doing whatever I can. Yesterday i was climbing a ladder, not a pretty sight but I did it just the same and got my project completed.

Comment

I'm 61, retired and try to stay active in a number of ways. I just had foot surgery so almost everything has been off limits for me since April. However, today my orthopaedist said I could start going back to the gym and to yoga (but no one leg stands). Hooray! I have on real shoes today, too!

I like to work out at the gym. I first started with a trainer so that I could learn how to do things right and to get a plan that is good for my heart and for my old bones (I have osteoporous). I really enjoyed the rigor of being with a trainer. She knew when to push me more. My body really responded to the exercises and I felt more fit and toned.

I have been practicing yoga for about 5 years. I love the calmness that it gives me and the flexibility is so helpful. No matter how I feel when the class starts, I feel 100 times better when we are done. I'm into that ooooommmm stuff.

I also keep active by volunteering at my local hospital. I work in outpatient physical therapy which is a very active, hands on kind of thing. I love the contact with patients and the opportunity to give back to my community. I also work as an advocate with the breast center at my hospital-doing health fairs to educate women on breast health. I have done 10 since February. I love talking with women in different situations.

Let's see---I also am a big "toolbelt diva" kind of person. Before my surgery, I painted ceilings and put up molding (I have an air nailer which makes it so easy). This last week, my husband and I replaced some of the siding on the front of our house. We plan to enclose out back porch this year ourselves. I enjoy sanding and painting-I find it soothing and also satisfying when the job is done correctly.

My husband and I like to travel a little bit. We go in the fall after the kids are back in school and the temps are lower. We're going to northern California this year and cruise through the redwoods, the sequoias and yosemite.

So that's me. I feel really, really lucky that I can be this active. Every day is a present.

Oh and the boxing sounded really good. I could have used that for stress relief when I was working as a school administrator!

lydialou

Comment

A couple of things

The point of the thread is being seen.

The whole goal is to keep moving at what ever level that you can do it.

I have been highly active for the last 15 years. The MS has slowed me down, but I am still going.

I am fortunate to be active at the YMCA and teach water aerobics. So when I wanted to increase my activity after the last flair I had. I asked to join an Active Older Adult class even though I am in my mid 40's. They were nice enough to let me. I have gotten better in that class, but still struggle when we do some walking. They do laps around me, but once again, at least I am moving.

I am able to do more weights due to a strength training class. I am up to 10 lbs now at times, but I know my limits.
                  I also do water yoga. I love almost anything in the water except actual swimming.

Listened to a motivational speaker that also has some books that is the slowest marathon walker I believe is her title. She still pushes at the marathon even though it takes her a very long time.
                  God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread going. I have been on and off this site for a few months but not really finding what I'm looking for. I think its this thread!

I am extremely active but have been struggling with what my neuro doc says is drop foot for a couple of years which has really cramped my running. I actually think she misdisdiagnosed it and that instead I have bursitis in my hip that's causing leg weakness when it flares up. Anyone have any experience with any of this-- hip problems that cause leg weakness, good exercises for drop foot (if that's what it is) and stories of drop foot resolving itself?

Thanks!

Comment

Hi all

Thanks Genie for starting this thread. I am glad to see some of my friends from chat here.

Zoe Koplowicz is the lady who anually "runs" the New York Marathon. It takes her over a day to do the course using her canadien crutches. She has great support. What is neat is that somebody who has run leaves behind their medal so Zoe can have it.

Wendy Booker has become a great friend & inspiration. Before the mountain climbing, she started by running the Boston Marathon a few years ago...LOL

I am 51 going on 16. I refuse to grow up..LOL My activity is therapeutic horseback riding. I have been riding for 6 years. I ride 2 days a week.

It has really helped me physically. We do a full body work out. We have taken the riding to a different level. We now call what I do "Wellness"

Take Care, Bob

Comment

Originally posted by jackjackson View Post
                        Genie,

You are doing Boston for MS? Is that like Team in Training (for Leukemia)? I ran a couple of marathons prior to my diagnosis. I want to head back to Chicago this fall. I would love to run for MS. Let me know.
                        Jack,

Yes I'm doing Boston for MS. Take a look at the local chapter in Chicago. I've noticed that most of the marathons are supported by the NMSS chapter in that location and you can run them for MS. There is a fund raising requirement usually. I know for Boston it's an application process plus a fund raising requirement but I anticipated that because Boston is such a hard race to get into.

Let me know if that helps!

Genie

Comment

Originally posted by kelm10 View Post
                          The point of the thread is being seen.

The whole goal is to keep moving at what ever level that you can do it.

I have been highly active for the last 15 years. The MS has slowed me down, but I am still going.

I am fortunate to be active at the YMCA and teach water aerobics. So when I wanted to increase my activity after the last flair I had. I asked to join an Active Older Adult class even though I am in my mid 40's. They were nice enough to let me. I have gotten better in that class, but still struggle when we do some walking. They do laps around me, but once again, at least I am moving.

I am able to do more weights due to a strength training class. I am up to 10 lbs now at times, but I know my limits.
                          I also do water yoga. I love almost anything in the water except actual swimming.

Listened to a motivational speaker that also has some books that is the slowest marathon walker I believe is her title. She still pushes at the marathon even though it takes her a very long time.
                          Kelm,

I workout all the time and 10lbs is all I can do!! lol You're doing great and you're also an inspiration to all! The goal is to keep moving and not to let the MS scare you into not! You're doing great!!

Genie

Comment

Originally posted by MSSeattle View Post
                            Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread going. I have been on and off this site for a few months but not really finding what I'm looking for. I think its this thread!

I am extremely active but have been struggling with what my neuro doc says is drop foot for a couple of years which has really cramped my running. I actually think she misdisdiagnosed it and that instead I have bursitis in my hip that's causing leg weakness when it flares up. Anyone have any experience with any of this-- hip problems that cause leg weakness, good exercises for drop foot (if that's what it is) and stories of drop foot resolving itself?

Thanks!
                            Seattle,

I don't have any experience in it but there is another thread I believe entitled new to Seattle and active. That person runs and also has drop foot. If it turns out to be drop foot he/she may have some suggestions. Actually, I think they're in this thread as well.

I have personally had leg weakness but from a pinched nerve/back injury in the past. It resolved but I had to take it easy for a good four months. I did it to myself doing leg lifts incorrectly . Have you gone to an orthopedic doctor to see if they think it's bursitis? I tend to blame everything on MS but sometimes it's just something else hehe.

I wish you well! I'm running today and I'll ask my running guru if she has any suggestions.

Genie

Comment

Originally posted by bobop View Post
                              Hi all

Thanks Genie for starting this thread. I am glad to see some of my friends from chat here.

Zoe Koplowicz is the lady who anually "runs" the New York Marathon. It takes her over a day to do the course using her canadien crutches. She has great support. What is neat is that somebody who has run leaves behind their medal so Zoe can have it.

Wendy Booker has become a great friend & inspiration. Before the mountain climbing, she started by running the Boston Marathon a few years ago...LOL

I am 51 going on 16. I refuse to grow up..LOL My activity is therapeutic horseback riding. I have been riding for 6 years. I ride 2 days a week.

It has really helped me physically. We do a full body work out. We have taken the riding to a different level. We now call what I do "Wellness"

Take Care, Bob
                              Bob,

Nice to see you here! We need more active people in chat! I've met Wendy Booker myself and she is such a motivation! I met her soon after my DX and she helped me understand that MS is not a death sentence that I could still be active and that I would be OK!

She's the main inspiration for me to start running again. I'd love to meet and speak with her again!

Genie

Comment

Originally posted by arjay View Post
                                Wow, great thread. I love learning that so many of you are doing so well!

I'm 57 and quite active. I walk two miles most days and sometimes more, play golf and am an avid gardener. Thank goodness for my dog -- she loves nothing more than a good walk and her insistence on her daily strolls really keeps me going.

There are a few things I don't feel comfortable doing anymore, like biking. I don't like being on a ladder or hiking in high places either. My balance is less than stellar and one of my legs occasionally has a mind of its own. Fatigue and heat are much bigger issues now, but I don't know how much of that to attribute to MS versus just getting older.

On the whole, I'm extremely fortunate and thank my lucky stars all the time. All of you athletes, keep it going!!

Arjay,

I'm no so happy with high places either lol. I let myself get overheated on a hike in Seattle and I think scared my friend to death. lol I haven't tried my bike yet but that's my next little endeavor to see how my balance is in general hehe. You're doing great! at 57 I hope I'm as active as you!

Genie

Comment

Working...
                                X