2015 CoPay Assistance Reminder - Private Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2015 CoPay Assistance Reminder - Private Insurance

This plan should help you save a significant amount of money provided you have private medical insurance. I don't pretend to understand how medicare works. I've been told, it's harder to qualify for most copay assistance programs while on Medicare.

Today, I called the manufacturer of my MS medication to talk them about the copay assistance plan for 2015. I stressed to them that I needed copay assistance to remain on their medication. I was told that within the next two weeks the company would be reaching out to me about their copay assistance plan for 2015. The ultimate goal is to remain on my current therapy, and use the pharmaceutical co-pay assistance program to reduce my out-of-pocket expenses. Considering most of our treatments are between $50-100k, maximizing the co-pay assistance program can be critical.

How this works
    Say your deductible is $2,500 and your maximum out-of-pocket is $5,000. This means you have to pay the first $3,000 of healthcare costs before your insurer pays anything. To have THEIR money count towards your deductible and/or out-of-pocket maximums, their payments must happen in 2015. Your first goal is to meet your dedcuctible so the insurance company starts cost-sharing with you. Your second goal is to reach your maxium out-of-pocket limit, after that, the vast majority of my 2015 healthcare costs will be free. How soon you will pay off your deductibles and maximum out-of-pocket all depends on the cost of your medication and the structure of your copay assistance plan.

Most copay assistance programs will only pay once per month so ideally they will pay January 2nd and February 1st (as early as possible).
    Based on a deductible of $2,500 and a maximum out-of-pocket of $5,000. If they pay $5,000 the first month, your maximum out-of-pocket will be met immediately.
    If they pay $2,500 each month, your deductible will be met in January.In this scenario, having met your deductible, any healthcare costs in January will be shared with the insurance company company. Then when the pharmaceutical company makes their second $2.500 payment, your maximum out-of-pocket will be met, in February.

Details Matter
    • I intend to get all my other prescriptions filled on December 30th. If I wait until January 1st, I have to pay the FULL amount of all the medications until the deductible is met. This is something I want to avoid!!!
    • I am currently setup to order my next MS medication refill on January 2nd. The drug company should step up and make their first payment now. This will pay for my full deductible and the insurance company will begin cost-sharing with me.
    • Between now and the second pharmaceutical company payment, all my healthcare costs will be shared with the insurance company. During this time, I want to limit my medical costs. Optional appointments, eye doctor, dentists, etc will be moved until after February's shipment.
    • My next MS medication delivery should be ordered on February 1st. If the drug company pays again my maximum out-of-pocket limit will be met. .
    • Immediately after the drug company pays the 2nd bill for my MS medication, I can then pick up my other prescriptions. Because my maximum out-of-pocket limit has been reached, the medications should now be FREE.

From here on out, the vast majority of my healthcare costs should also be FREE. Hopefully, this plan should help anyone on a private insurance plan save money.

Note: This is the 2015 version of a previous post http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...08#post1439808. There is still valuable information in the previous thread that may help answer any remainig questions you may have.

Thanks Marco!

Your post was most helpful!
    My health insurance, which I totally pay for myself, is increasing in cost come Jan 1st.
    Are you aware of any health insurance premium assistance?
    If so, any idea what the income guidelines are?

Comment

In your situation, I would go to http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB100...99422440044100 and determine if your State has their own exchange. If they don't, then go to the Federal exchange at https://www.healthcare.gov. Just one warning, there is currently a lawsuit that may preclude subsidies from people that use the federal exchange. This could limit subsidies to people that obtain insurance via a State exchange. Once you find the correct exchange, you can see what plans you qualify and possible subsidies. Once you go through the wizard you may qualify for a premium tax credit, decreased cost sharing, or even Medicaid.

Here in Texas, we have the Texas Department of Insurance that is also a helpful resource for people that need insurance, or help finding insurance. You can check with your State to see if such an entity exists to help you.

The other option is to find an independent insurance broker in your area. If you call an insurance agent representing a company, they will only offer you plans from the company they represent. If you call an independent agent, they can sell you policies from any company; offering you a greater plan selection, and hopefully the best price. I really hope you find a good solution for your needs!

Comment

Subsidies

My income is "too high" for a subsidy but my premiums,if I get a policy that will assist me with some (unfortunately not all) of the costs of my MS, is about 25% of my pre-tax income, well over the 9.5% of your income to pay for insurance under the ACA. Was wondering if there are any assistance programs for insurance premiums.

Comment

its2much - I don't think so. That's the burden for the middle class; they end up subsidizing tax breaks for the upper class and also pay for credits for people of lowered incomes. No one helps the middle class, they are simply supposed to lump it.

I wish I had a magic wand to help you afford insurance, but if I had a magic wand, you wouldn't have health problems either. I'm sorry!

Comment

I received my December shipment of Tecfidera. My insurance company paid $5,371 for the medication. The same amount, if not more, will also be due in January. If Biogen's co-pay assistance program will pay $4,500 (my insurance plans maximum out-of-pocket) then I should have virtually no other plan expenses for the remainder of the year. All my co-pays and all other medications should be waived. The pharmacy tech always double-takes when I pick up my medications and the charge is $0.

Of course, the reality is I have already met my maximum expense, because I have a chronic and progressive illness. It's not worth being in a wheelchair to get handicapped parking, but there are times the handicapped parking is a lifesaver. Likewise, we have enormous healthcare cost and this can save us money, if we plan accordingly. Again, patients on federal plans, like medicare, may not qualify, but many patients using private healthcare insurance plans do qualify. If you don't ask the question, the answer is already, "no." Please call your medication provider(s) and attempt to enroll in their co-pay assistance programs.

Comment

Working...
            X