IVIG: Searching for a doc that prescribes IVIG for RRMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IVIG: Searching for a doc that prescribes IVIG for RRMS

Hi. I am searching for a doc that uses IVIG regularly for RRMS. I am willing to travel. Thanks.

Where are you located? I'm not trying to dash your enthusiasm, but trying to give you some idea of what you are getting into. I traveled about 100 miles, each way, for my IVIg treatments and would probably not do it again. I would find a local infusion center, but my current doctor would probably not have privileges there. I know in Mexico, a doctor is often located right next to the pharmacy, and whatever you want can often be negotiated on-the-spot. They are not likely to carry IVIg because of the perishable nature, and the cost, of the medication.

Have you talked to your current neurologist about IVIg? Are there no other neurologists in your immediate area? Maybe picking up the phone might be easier. The further you get from your home zip code, the more likely you are to find an out-of-network provider, reducing your health benefit. You mention you are willing to travel, does this include initial and follow up appointments? A doctor may prescribe IVIg, but may not prescribe it for you. IVIg is used off-label for MS. So your insurance company may or may not cover it.

It's common to have a "train wreck" feeling after IVIg that may complicate travel. And you are still willing to travel back to whatever location every 4 weeks. If you are able to get IVIg and tolerate it, I hope you do well. It just seems like your efforts may diminish any potential benefit from the medication. I wish you well ...

Comment

IVIG helps me tremendously

Typing is difficult right now. Long story short: On Ivig for 10 years and it is what's kept me walking. Last 3 years I'm getting from 2 docs it's too expensive and current doc it's controversial. I'm in Nashville. I need to find someone who won't tell me i can get Ivig and then say no after a year with the above excuses. Since I've been off of it, I'm gettting exacerbations and mild permanent paralysis.

Comment

I'm in Nashville.

I do extremely well on IVIG. Got it Wed and took off on 8 hour road trip after. Of course, I was not driving. I must find that uses IVIG regularly for RRMS. I am willing to travel. Thanks.

Originally posted by Marco View Post
        Where are you located? I'm not trying to dash your enthusiasm, but trying to give you some idea of what you are getting into. I traveled about 100 miles, each way, for my IVIg treatments and would probably not do it again. I would find a local infusion center, but my current doctor would probably not have privileges there. I know in Mexico, a doctor is often located right next to the pharmacy, and whatever you want can often be negotiated on-the-spot. They are not likely to carry IVIg because of the perishable nature, and the cost, of the medication.

Have you talked to your current neurologist about IVIg? Are there no other neurologists in your immediate area? Maybe picking up the phone might be easier. The further you get from your home zip code, the more likely you are to find an out-of-network provider, reducing your health benefit. You mention you are willing to travel, does this include initial and follow up appointments? A doctor may prescribe IVIg, but may not prescribe it for you. IVIg is used off-label for MS. So your insurance company may or may not cover it.

It's common to have a "train wreck" feeling after IVIg that may complicate travel. And you are still willing to travel back to whatever location every 4 weeks. If you are able to get IVIg and tolerate it, I hope you do well. It just seems like your efforts may diminish any potential benefit from the medication. I wish you well ...

Comment

Try Dr. Peter D Donofrio
          3601 The Vanderbilt Clinic
          Nashville, TN 37232

There's also an infusion center in Murfreesboro. I'm sure they could refer you to one of their higher prescribing IVIg neurologists.

Reeves-Sain Infusion
          1809 Memorial Blvd. Suite C
          Murfreesboro, TN 37129

**Phone number removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

Comment

Working...
          X