X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New drug grows myelin in mice

from
    http://www.gizmag.com/indazole-chlor...toms-ms/35020/

If it works for humans as well as it does in mice, I'll put my forearm canes at the back of the closet until I need a hip or knee replacement.

Here's the first paragraph

Researchers are zeroing in on what looks like an effective treatment for the symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis. Teams from UC Riverside and New York's Rockefeller University have both used the same compound, indazole chloride, to successfully reverse the progression of MS in mice. The drug appears to be able to stimulate the regeneration of the myelin sheath – the nerve pathway coating that is progressively destroyed as MS attacks the nervous system.

If this is legitimate, this is the best news I have read in years.

Comment

I was just reading about this. It sounds promising.

Comment

This is exciting
        I hope the trial on humans starts tomorrow
        Linda

Comment

any leads on possible clinical trials?

Comment

The drug in the article, indazole chloride acts like estrogen in that it binds to estrogen receptors. But it doesn't have all of estrogen's effects so men might be interested in it also.

In the third trimester when estrogen levels are high pregnant women often experience a big decrease in MS symptoms. Estrogen levels decline after birth and often MS activity resumes.

High levels of estrogen have been linked to breast and uterine cancer making a drug which acts like estrogen but doesn't have all the effects of estrogen interesting if it rebuilds myelin in humans as well as it does in mice.

Increasing estrogen through HRT might have the same benefit as this drug in MS. Raising the level too high may elevate the risks of certain cancers. But I have read nothing which indicates that risk with small elevations of estrogen.

Someone may get myelin benefits from taking hormones which increase estrogen. Taking too much may present a cancer risk but I believe there is ample evidence that increasing estrogen is a benefit in MS. I think indazole chloride helps establish that.

Comment

Very exciting. Looking forward to reading about clinical trials with this in the near future.

Comment

interesting.

I'll be watching closely any trials for this.
                I want to know if this really works or if we just adding new fuel for the ms buggers to feed on.

Thanks for the post.

Comment

How do they know that the mice aren't just faking their illness. You know limping around and dropping their coffee cups.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                    How do they know that the mice aren't just faking their illness. You know limping around and dropping their coffee cups.
                    We need to get a like button or something on this message board. That post just made me laugh out loud. thank you

Comment

Originally posted by GardeningMSer View Post
                      from
                      http://www.gizmag.com/indazole-chlor...toms-ms/35020/

If it works for humans as well as it does in mice, I'll put my forearm canes at the back of the closet until I need a hip or knee replacement.

Here's the first paragraph

Researchers are zeroing in on what looks like an effective treatment for the symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis. Teams from UC Riverside and New York's Rockefeller University have both used the same compound, indazole chloride, to successfully reverse the progression of MS in mice. The drug appears to be able to stimulate the regeneration of the myelin sheath – the nerve pathway coating that is progressively destroyed as MS attacks the nervous system.

It's Desenex! Or something like it... http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...id=SA_Facebook
                      Jim S.

Comment

Thanks for the info
                        Very interesting! I wish it was in trial NOW
                        Linda

Comment

Wow this is wonderful news! I would be a part of that trial if I had the chance. Keep on fundraising and supporting MS research, one day it will be a thing of the past.

Comment

Not so good for me!

Great!
                            Maybe they will find a way to give men super testosterone to repair myeline.
                            I left in love, in laughter, and in truth, and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Bill Hicks

Comment

Working...
                            X