Promising Trial for Progressive MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Promising Trial for Progressive MS

I subscribe to a medical site for healthcare professionals. New report on a trial of statins for progressive MS. It is now only in phase 2.

This is all they had on it:

Statin Slows Progressive MS
    LYON, France -- High dose simvastatin (Zycor) significantly reduced brain atrophy and advancement of disability in secondary progressive multiple sclerosis in a phase II study, researchers reported here.
    Hope and pray for continued good results - easy and fair cheap medication.

I'm already on it -- how high a dose are they talking about?

If I recall correctly, a recent study linked 'high' dosages to previously unrecognized risks. I think they were talking about >60mg...
    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Thanks for posting this. Good to see more and more trials for progressive. I will look around for more info.

Maybe we'll get something good to help with progressive with the added bonus of keeping our cholesterol down!

Comment

I wish I could provide you all with the dose, but believe it or not that is all that was listed on the email, it came as a breaking news alert.

Usually these emails, which have free CME's as well, have articles which are much more detailed. And, there are sometimes comments on the articles from all sorts of healthcare providers which are interesting. There recently was a study of improvement of a marijuana pill for MS patients, but the comments tore apart the study because only 29% actually had improvement.

If anyone wants to sign up - its medpagetoday.com and it is free. No one who frequents this board will be lost especially on the MS articles. It does ask about your specialty, and of course I can't remember but I think there's an option for patients.

Comment

Simvastatin trial show good results for Progressive MS

From the write up from the National MS Society website, from March 18, 2014, the trial had the patients take 80mg daily.

Comment

Working...
          X