Numb lips....should I be concerned???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numb lips....should I be concerned???

I know that numbness and tingling is a part of MS.

I have been having both problems in my hands and feet for over a month now. But today something new started.

A few hours ago I was sitting at the computer and my back started hurting really bad and my lips started to go numb. I went and laid down, woke my husband from his nap because I was having a little trouble catching my breathing and the tingling starting spreading up my arms and legs.

After I laid down for a while everything got better except my lips. I cooked dinner and got back on the computer and now my lips are really tingling again.

I just went to see neuro yesterday and they said report anything new. Would this be considered new since I already been having the tingling and numbness in other parts of my body?

Just as a F.Y.I. it feels like I am about to have an allergic reaction and my lips are swelling, I keep checking them and they look fine just feel really weird.
    "Therefore we do not give up, but even if the man we are outside is wasting away, certainly the man we are inside is being renewed from day to day." 2 Cor. 4:16

My lips go numb periodically as does my nose. Talk about feeling weird! Anyway, it's not abnormal but if it's a new symptom for you, you should call your doc.

Comment

I have tingling on the left half of my tongue/mouth/lips...it's pretty much an all the time symptom for me. It's what got my attention 15 years ago and made me seek out a dr (not that they attributed it to MS...not until I was diagnosed because of other problems did the neuro say that the tingling face was part of the package.)

They're have been threads on tongue tingling or mouth tingling, and for most people it seems to be a come and go type of symptom. You might want to do a search to pull up those threads.

Anyhoo, if it's MS, and a new symptom it should be reported. The thing I'd be careful with is to make sure you're not having an allergic reaction. Sometimes an allergy can manifest itself w/tingling lips and shortness of breath.

Hope you get some resolution and if it is part of the MS it fades quickly.

Comment

numb tongue

My tongue gets numb off and on--I did a search on here the first time it happened and found it under "burning tongue" syndrome, mainly because your tongue feels like it does when you burn it with a hot drink. I did call my neuro the first time, and they said there was not a lot to do--that they don't treat for sensory issues--for what that's worth. Just part of the fun!

Comment

they are getting better.

Thanks for the information. My top lip is still a little tingly but my bottom one is fine now. I hope by the morning my mouth will be back to normal. I just wish my hands and feet would resolve as quickly. Yeah that would be to easy, right.
          "Therefore we do not give up, but even if the man we are outside is wasting away, certainly the man we are inside is being renewed from day to day." 2 Cor. 4:16

Comment

Originally posted by deblacy View Post
            My tongue gets numb off and on--I did a search on here the first time it happened and found it under "burning tongue" syndrome, mainly because your tongue feels like it does when you burn it with a hot drink. I did call my neuro the first time, and they said there was not a lot to do--that they don't treat for sensory issues--for what that's worth. Just part of the fun!
            Really? They dont treat sensory issues? Im in the midst of my first BIG attack and all of my issues are sensory. Im in my 11th day of my entire left side of my face being numb.. tounge, jaw, ear, everything. I can hardly eat. I was majorly hoping to get some sort of steroid treatment. What type of issues do you have to have to get relief??

Comment

My lips don't go numb, but whenever I go out, it is like going out with a little kid for those with me. I cannot feel if something drips on my chin or around my mouth, so they have to tell me like I am a kid ....It is kind of funny. Last time we were out, sil did not want to tell me, he did not know I appreciate it, so he told dd who told me. We all had a good laugh.

JudySz

Comment

Boy can I relate

Originally posted by JudySz View Post
                My lips don't go numb, but whenever I go out, it is like going out with a little kid for those with me. I cannot feel if something drips on my chin or around my mouth, so they have to tell me like I am a kid ....It is kind of funny. Last time we were out, sil did not want to tell me, he did not know I appreciate it, so he told dd who told me. We all had a good laugh.

JudySz

I have gotten into a habit of using a napkin to clean off my mouth so many times during a meal you would think it was an obsession LOL

One day recently I had a huge piece of lettuce on it while out to lunch with my daughter, in a place I didn't use the napkin on, she had to tell me it was there. LOL Had to look funny to the other people in the restaurant. I have gotten so used to it, it doesn't bother me anymore, I just go with the flow.

Comment

wow i have the exact same mouth numbness

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
                  I have tingling on the left half of my tongue/mouth/lips...it's pretty much an all the time symptom for me. It's what got my attention 15 years ago and made me seek out a dr (not that they attributed it to MS...not until I was diagnosed because of other problems did the neuro say that the tingling face was part of the package.)

They're have been threads on tongue tingling or mouth tingling, and for most people it seems to be a come and go type of symptom. You might want to do a search to pull up those threads.

Anyhoo, if it's MS, and a new symptom it should be reported. The thing I'd be careful with is to make sure you're not having an allergic reaction. Sometimes an allergy can manifest itself w/tingling lips and shortness of breath.

Hope you get some resolution and if it is part of the MS it fades quickly.
                  I feel like u just described my mouth to a tee...Hows your legs ...I have had numb feet for about 3 years now..

Comment

Working...
                  X