PLEASE READ!Probiotics may help with Tecfidera symptoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PLEASE READ!Probiotics may help with Tecfidera symptoms

I've been doing a lot of research into the reasons as to why many of us on Tecfidera are having a lot of symptoms such as flushing, nausea, GI upset, and I found some connections between liver enzymes and probiotics that may help us:

1. According to the Tecfidera package insert:

"An increased incidence of elevations of hepatic transaminases in patients treated with TECFIDERA was seen primarily during the first six months of treatment, and most patients with elevations had levels < 3 times the upper limit of normal (ULN). Elevations of alanineaminotransferase and aspartate aminotransferase to ≥ 3 times the ULN occurred in a small number of patients treated with bothTECFIDERA and placebo and were balanced between groups."

2. Drinking alcohol also increases the level of the above liver enzymes (AST/ALT) and elevated levels of the aminoteransferase enzymes DOES cause flushing as seen in many alcoholics.

3. I found at least 2 abstracts on the US National Library of Medicine's NIH website that describe two studies (one in alcoholics and one in non-alcoholics) that concluded that probiotics may help improve elevated levels of liver enzymes and restore bowel flora:

Alcohol. 2008 Dec;42(8):675-82. doi: 10.1016/j.alcohol.2008.08.006.

Probiotics restore bowel flora and improve liver enzymes in human alcohol-induced liver injury: a pilot study.Kirpich IA, Solovieva NV, Leikhter SN, Shidakova NA, Lebedeva OV, Sidorov PI, Bazhukova TA, Soloviev AG, Barve SS, McClain CJ, Cave M.

Source:
    Department of Biochemistry, Northern State Medical University, 161020, Arkhangelsk, Russia.

Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2011 Sep;15(9):1090-5.

Effect of a probiotic on liver aminotransferases in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease patients: a double blind randomized clinical trial.
    Aller R, De Luis DA, Izaola O, Conde R, Gonzalez Sagrado M, Primo D, De La Fuente B, Gonzalez J.

Source:
    Center of Investigation of Endocrinology and Clinical Nutrition, Medicine School and Unit of Investigation, Hospital Rio Hortega, University of Valladolid, Valladolid, Spain.

I don't know about you, but I find this information very significant, especially when I realized that the people who seem to be doing better on Tecfidera started taking probiotics after couple of bouts of diarrhea and their other symptoms such as flushing and GI upset improved too.

God Bless

I've taken probiotics for years (Saccharomyces Boulardii Plus MOS, 5 billion, 1 capsule 2 times a day). I've been on TEC for over 3 months and haven't had any side effects. Not sure if probiotics helps but it doesn't hurt.

Comment

Thanks for this. I am new to this board, drawn by the terrible GI issues I've been having for the last two days. This is my 8th week on Tec and this is the worst its been. Cramps, stomach pain and (sorry for the TMI) frequent, waterfall like diarrhea.

Started a BRAT (banana, {brown} rice, applesauce, toast) diet. Couldn't find any info on interaction w/ Imodium, but broke down and took one.

Will add Probiotics and take others advice on the fat/protein/starch, basically full meal vs. small snack w/ the pill. I had also been spacing 8 hours vs. 12 a part. Thanks for the pointer!

Comment

I eat Sauerkraut daily, unpasteurized, which contains loads of probiotic bacteria. Wonder if this helped me not to have many symptoms?

Comment

Probiotics

I have been on tecfidera since Feb 2014. I have never had any GI issues or any significant flushing. I have been on probiotics (Align)since November of 2013. Maybe probiotics do help. I was wondering why I never had a day of GI problems. I thought I was just lucky. I have developed a skin condition however. May or may not be related to tecfidera. I'm guessing it is related but am seeing a dermatologist for this.

We should always remember that we are living with a very serious neurological disease. Sometime we have to deal with the side effects. But we should be carefully monitored by our neurologist. GP docs don't have enough experience with the medications we need to take.

Comment

Working...
          X