"Prior Authorization"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Prior Authorization"

Has anyone ever needed a prior authorization to fill a refill, not the initial prescription which was filled in December 2013 and again 1/31/14? Medication has four refills left and the pharmacy is telling me that they need prior authorization to fill a REFILL. Didn't they get that already since they got the prior authorization when the new prescription (for a drug I have been on for a couple of years) was filled back in December 2013 with five refills?

You may want to read your prescription label as many times it will say " 4 refills before (date)."

If your refill date is expired it doesn't matter how many refills you may have left a Drs. authorization will be needed.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Yes, I've had this before with a medication that I was on for years. I had to make an appt and get the RN to fill out the paperwork. It was a very cheap generic prescription so I don't know what the problem was. Very irritating.

Comment

Are you on a new policy now as per your previous thread?

http://msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=131863

My guess is that they need authorization again for this policy. You are best to call your insurance company to clarify.

Comment

No, not on a new policy

I got a new prescription in December 2013, for a drug I've been on for a couple of years. Drug container says refills through 12/26/14. Have only refilled once - there are four refills left.
          Also just wondering, who usually contacts you when there is a problem with a prescription - the pharmacy or the doctor's office? Neither contacted me - I went to the pharmacy to pick it up to be told they were waiting for the prior authorization from the doctor (which the doctor claims to have not received).

Comment

It keeps happening to me for Tecfidera. Roughly every 3 or 4 months, the need a new pre-auth, even though the previous one was supposed to last a full year. I've had the same policy for 5+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by its2much View Post
              Has anyone ever needed a prior authorization to fill a refill, not the initial prescription which was filled in December 2013 and again 1/31/14? Medication has four refills left and the pharmacy is telling me that they need prior authorization to fill a REFILL. Didn't they get that already since they got the prior authorization when the new prescription (for a drug I have been on for a couple of years) was filled back in December 2013 with five refills?

I have had it happen twice on Betaseron -- the pharmacy said insurance companies are double checking necessity on all specialty drugs and others.

I asked her if I had missed the announcement that there was a cure for MS !!

Comment

political statement in quote

Originally posted by golfwidow View Post
                I have had it happen twice on Betaseron -- the pharmacy said insurance companies are double checking necessity on all specialty drugs and others.

I asked her if I had missed the announcement that there was a cure for MS !!
                It's more a matter of insurance not wanting to pay for expensive meds if they don't have to.

Comment

Alicious is correct. Insurance companies have been doing this for YEARS. If they can get away with not paying, they will.

Comment

Working...
                  X