Active Duty with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Active Duty with MS

I am active duty military with MS. I'm trying to find military members that are serving with MS or have been separated due to MS. It's so hard to find information so any help would be appreciated!

Is there anyone on this forum that has MS and is still in the military?

Comment

Check the old threads and you'll find folks who were Dx'd while still active.
      You could also try searching for stuff like "MEB" in this forum.
      Keep in mind, there aren't that many of us in the first place (relative to the rest of the population) and then figure on what percentage of people join the service. The numbers are pretty small, but we are out there.

BTW, the rules for posting at this site are slightly unique. Your posts (and any replys) might not show up for a while.

Comment

Thanks for the info. My MEB process just started and I'm freaking out! I was diagnosed in November 09 and I guess I just slipped through the cracks. I have had zero episodes since be diagnosed. I'm 100% fit for duty with nothing holding me back. I'm desperate because the AF is doing their MEB process different now with you going through the VA first. Needless to say it was an uneventful appt. with a rep that didn't seem to care. I was told to prepare to separate because AFPC isn't approving hardly any MEB's. So it's great to hear that their are people serving with MS. It's my ammo, if needed, when the time comes!

Comment

Not trying to burst your bubble, but be aware all the branches of the service will be cutting back.
          If you're already diagnosed with MS, you probably should start looking at options on the outside and planning for a new future.

Be careful with the VA.
          You might opt for treatment with the VA later on. What you tell them now may make a difference later. Basically, I'm advising you to be honest with them and with yourself. Really honest.

For many of us, MS is a serious, crappy, progressive disease. There are folks who deal with minimal symtoms that may clear up over time but I wouldn't plan on that being your outcome. I hope that's what happens for you and MS is always an after thought, but I definatly wouldn't plan based on that outcome.

I'm not trying to scare you. I just don't believe in sugar coating this stuff.

Comment

I appreciate the honesty. And trust me I know of the cut backs and they claim MEBs aren't considered in that process. I don't really believe that to be true though. I've found two service members on here that got cleared for MS and returned to duty late last year.

The MS community is so small and then add military members to it it gets even smaller. I'm very well versed with the disease and understand its possibilities. I really just need to find military member that have the diagnosis and have been returned to duty through the MEB process. Like I said I've seen two that were and got C2 profile.

Comment

I wasn't DX'd on AD, but rather while in the Reserves & yes I'm still in the Reserves undergoing the PDES process.

What do you do? That has a lot to do w/ rather or not you're retained. On AD I was Air Defense, could I be retained w/ MS and be ADA? Likely not. In the Reserves I reclassed to become a Paralegal, probably the most sedentary job in the Army. I still take my PT test, I still qualify w/ my weapon, etc. I know of an Army Reserve Soldier who was not only retained w/ a DX of RR MS but who also kept his deployability! And that isn't a 'reserve' thing either; there is no distinction, we end up at the same exact board and fall under Standards of Fitness AR. Ironically I took Paralegal MEB/PEB outreach certification a couple years ago and found out last week I will be the NCOIC for a Army Reserve MEB/PEB team.

I don't know of the Air Force does it, but a couple of years ago the Army stood up JAG counsel for Soldiers undergoing the MEB/PEB process, if you havn't received counsel yet then swing by your legal assistance office and speak w/ an attorney. You should have representation.

Obviously like Bob said, it's RIF time and that doesn't help matters.

How many years do you have in? You may be elgible for retirement as opposed to separation . ..all kind of usefull knowledge nuggets out there.

"AF is doing their MEB process different now with you going through the VA first." This is DoD policy and is actually a positive thing, back in the day it was my understanding that the svc component gave a temporary rating, VA may agree or disagree w/ that rating but guys were getting out and then the VA was changing their rating! By having the VA rating you prior to separation you see what options are on the table and can make an educated decision about your future

Comment

Jagssg, I am a C-130 crew chief (aircraft mechanic). This career field is extremely short of E-6's which I am . We are critical shortage but not critically manned. I understand MS can progress but currently I have no issues (thank GOD for that) and am beyond fit for duty. I'm on no profile and my PT test score is at 98.1. I'm top 10% of the AF. I also fill a special duty position as an instructor. My portfolio looks great and I hope that plays into this decision. My MEB process just started so I have another 5 months to hear a decision.

If I don't like the results I can go to San Antonio and appeal before the board in person. If they still stick by their decision I can appeal to the Secretary of the AF. I will still check into the legal counsel on base, so thanks for telling me that. I've been in for eight years and I love the military and all the wonderful people serving and those who have served. I get the VA part but the lady was so detached from being compassionate it was just a bad experience.

Comment

Peanut,

I am currently on ADAF and went through my MEB process a year ago. I have done several MEB's in my career as a medical provider and it is always a crap shoot. I was just at a conference last week and the AF is AGAIN changing the MEB process and I do not anticipate any MEB's getting processed for at least the next 6-9 months--I have MEB's that have been sitting on AFPC desk for a good 5 months, no disposition.
                  I hate to be the bearer of bad news, however, you are most likely a FC III due to your career field and I can tell you from consulting with the waiver guide that NO ONE has ever received a waiver for MS. I looked this up for myself because I need a FC II. You have access to the waiver guide to look for yourself, just google "AF aeromedical waiver guide" and that will give you guidelines, as well as google AFI 48-123 and look at Chapter 13 for MEB info.
                  I hope this helps, I am happy to give you whatever advice I can. Please understand that due to my position in the AF I have a tendency to be somewhat vague about what I do, however really do want to help you understand the process. I am one of the lucky ones that got to keep my career and very grateful for the opportunity to serve.

Comment

My bad--for some reason I was thinking you said you were a Load Master, forget the FC III and waiver stuff. You have just as good of odds as anyone else.

Comment

AF PA,
                      I just don't understand the crap shoot concept. It's like the process is so screwed up which we all know anyways. It does give me hope that I have found individuals that have been allowed to return to duty. Interesting how long this process takes. My PEB office told me no sooner than four months but no later than five. But just as you have said I have read other forums where it has taken much longer. Is there anything I need to know to help my chance of being retained? I have had no instances since the orignial that included some numbness and tingling in November 2009. It's just hard for me to grasp them allowing some to contiue to serve and others to not. If it is affecting the ability to perfom duties I completly understand and if that was my case I would completly understand. Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Comment

The armed services have to look at this stuff in terms of percentages. X percent of personel DX'd with MS will have Y percent of disabilty within Z years.

Unfortunatly, the odds aren't in your favor.

Fortunatly for you, MS is a very selective disease in terms of what you may or may not experience. Think about it, none of us ever says "Well, if you got DX'd when you did- you should be feeling this symtom by now". We don't do that because that isn't how it works.

I've met other MS patients that have far less actual MS damage than I do yet they're stuck in a chair while I can still walk. Which of us is more sick? The answer is "neither", both of us are messed up.

This would be better answered by our legal eagles , but I'm wondering if you're currently being treated for MS? If you've been taking one of the meds for a while and its been shown to be effective, that might be a plus at your hearing.

Comment

I've been on Copaxone sice 2009. So 2 1/2 years. I'm not ignorant of the possiblities of the outcome of this MEB or future issues that I could face with MS. I just don't take things for face value. If there was nobody serving in the military with MS this I would accept an outcome of some type of seperation. All I needed was to here ONE individual was still serving with MS. I don't lay down and accept something until all options have been exhausted. I completly understand this MEB has a better chance of not working in my favor but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up. All I'm doing is educating myself on others MEB process and their outcomes.

Comment

Peanut, as an old Air Borne/Air assualt grunt , just drive on and do what you think is right for you....I spent the final two years of my active duty in a straight leg infantry unit while keeping up my quals, i didnt have ms then or maybe i did i dont know but i do know i was minus a lung and had my inners stiched back up, its really upto to you how you can still perform, also new an old E-7 who had a fake leg from the knee down and still taught jungle training but this was back in he 80's none the less I hope the BEST for you, and dont let anyone talk you out of what you want

Comment

lovejoy,
                              Thanks for the support. I get this constant "don't get your hopes up" from people. The great thing is my entire chain of command is on my side and are willing to do anything they can to help. My duty station is even on my side it's the dang Air Force Personel Center I'm going to have to fight! I'll deal with this process as it comes. I still have a ways to go before I get any answer. Thanks for you service, dedication and again your support!

Comment

Working...
                              X