My partner has MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My partner has MS

Hello. My partner was diagnosed on July 2, 2012. Since then we have been trying to figure out what this all means. This month she caught a cold and has developed into something that normally she would have fought off. After almost 6 months, it is time for us to start learning what this all means. It is very hard and scary since most of what we see is folks in wheelchairs. I can't even imagine going there right now. It is finally time to take a hold of this disease, as much as I really don't want to.

Welcome to the boards. This site is full of information about the dreaded MonSter. Keep up the fight. Good luck. i'm in it for the long haul.

Comment

Welcome to the boards, Macpope! Thank you for being a support for your partner. It's tough when MS hits - the whole family is affected and hopefully you, together can arm your self with good information and a supportive medical team. You might want to get in touch with the National MS Society - either by calling 1-8001-344-4867 or going to their website www.nmss.org.

They have lots of literature, different research studies, financial info, etc. and can connect you with your local MS chapter.

The MS Foundation is also a good source http://www.msfocus.org/

Of course, you have us here to help in any way possible. Don't be shy about asking questions and encourage your partner to join in! We wish you both well
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Everyone goes through this process. I went crazy at the beginning trying to find anything positive. So I'll give my my summary.

1) Most people do not go quickly to a wheelchair. If you go to a meeting, you will likely see that most are not. Go to some events in your area. Teva (Copaxone) sponsor wonderful educational events which are really social. You'll have a meal and see other people.

2) Some people get hit very hard. Some go from jogging to wheelchair in as few as 5 years. At the same time, some live their whole lives without a wheelchair. Hint: If you're worried about it, you're probably not in the 5 year plan. Why? Because you'd know already.

3) There are many people with MS who show no outward symptoms. As you'll learn, there are unlimited "gifts" the disease can give that can't be seen. But still, many many people are able to lead normal lives and don't see a neurologist or post on MS Forums.

4) Your doctor will probably not tell you anything positive. I'm not exactly sure why, but I suspect it's a bigger sin to give false hope over false no-hope.

5) Attitude helps. Since so much of dealing with the disease is simply dealing with the disease, how you do so impacts your life. Also, depression is a symptom of the disease, i.e. you're not depressed because you are sad about having MS, but the MS causes depression like it causes other things.

6) Finally, if your partner is typical at all, he/she will still be recovering from the initial attack. There is recovery even years after and you get used to things.

My recommendation: http://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-Mul...iple+sclerosis

Good Luck.

Comment

BigA hit the nail on the head with some great points! Is your partner on any meds or DMDs? There are many of us (myself included) who have had positive results from the DMDs. It's very kind of you to reach out for help, this is a great place. For info, practical and medical, and lots of support! Hope you and she find it the same.
          Jen
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Welcome Macpope!

Welcome to this site! You and your partner will find, as I recently did, this site is loaded with much needed info. And, even more importantly, you will find, in this forum, a place of understanding. This will help you and your partner not feel so alone in the battle. Of course, as mentioned in previous replies, it is imperative to have a good PCP and get established with an MS knowledgeable neurologist.

As far as the physical disabilities concern, it is important that your partner begin medication that slows down the progression of MS. Many of these are mentioned in the forum "Medications and Treatments". All of the interferons and other MS meds come with significant side effects. However, as my husband would remind me, either deal with the side effects and have mobility longer or stop taking them and be chair bound much sooner than you should be. It sounds harsh, but he is right.

Its wonderful that you are supporting your partner! My husband is my rock! Explore this site and you will find a well of information and support! Best of luck to you and your partner!

Comment

Working...
            X